Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problems to download pictures

I'm having a problem downloading pics from my K5.
Every time I plug the camera to the computer, a messages appears saying that the USB is disabled because the device it's drawing to much energy from the computer.
I have changed the cable, but the problem remains. Any suggestions? Thanks.

01-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!

How many other USB devices do you have plugged in, and where are you plugging the K5 in at? Most computers have two sets of USB ports, one that is directly tied to the mother board (located in the rear of the computer), and an auxiliary set that may be located in the front of the computer or even in the key board. If you have a lot of USB devices plugged in, especially ones requiring current, like a charging cell phone, try disconnecting them and then plugging in the camera. Also, try plugging into one of the rear mounted USB ports.
01-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I think this problem is the computer's fault, not the camera. Try unplugging other USB devices. These days almost everything goes into USB for some reason..
Another thing you can do is buy a card reader. Lots of us like this, if you buy a good card reader it can even speed up the transfer rates. Of course, a very cheap card reader (like ones bought online, without a real brand behind them) can cause headaches.. And a card reader, while convenient, probably won't make the problem you stated go away, since it is still a USB device.
01-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you using a laptop?
If yes, what is the battery level when trying to do this? Was the laptop plugged in?

Is that an Apple product!?
If yes, you might want to look at these:

lion - "USB device drawing too much power" error on startup with no devices connected - Ask Different

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3739129?start=15
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23883353?tstart=0#23883353?tstart=0

01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Problems to download pictures

I usually plug only the camera to the computer( which is a Mac) when I'm downloading photos, but it doesn't have any other problems with other devices like external Hard Drives. Also this problem starts when I had just cleaned the sensor with sensor swipe. I don't know if could be any connection with that issue considered that the camera works fine. Could be the cause some kind of corruption of the SD Card? Thank you.
01-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricky Quote
I usually plug only the camera to the computer( which is a Mac) when I'm downloading photos, but it doesn't have any other problems with other devices like external Hard Drives. Also this problem starts when I had just cleaned the sensor with sensor swipe. I don't know if could be any connection with that issue considered that the camera works fine. Could be the cause some kind of corruption of the SD Card? Thank you.
Do you have any other computer in the house?
Have you tried and see if it works OK on the other ones? If you don't have another computer, could you try with a friend's computer?

I doubt is the camera to be honest....
Have you tried to use a different cable? Have you tried a different SD card!?
01-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well I'm using a MacBook Pro and it's always plugged in. I will have a good look at the link for Mac troubles. Thank you.

01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well I'm using a MacBook Pro and it's always plugged in. I will have a good look at the link for Mac troubles. Thank you.
Anytime - hope the links will help!

Let us know if you fixed the problem.
Will be nice to know what was the issue and help others in the future.
01-22-2014, 03:33 AM   #9

Original Poster
I start the computer in safe mode and the problem remains also I just plugged in the camera in a different computer (this time a PC) and I have the same problem, so definitely the issue it's in the USB's camera. I might try a different SD card.
01-22-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I start the computer in safe mode and the problem remains also I just plugged in the camera in a different computer (this time a PC) and I have the same problem, so definitely the issue it's in the USB's camera. I might try a different SD card.
Try a different card and also, try a different cable...
And just for the sake of argument... try and plug the camera to a computer that runs Windows.