Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-30 and Sigma EF-610 as a slave

Hello All,
I'm just getting started with my K-30 and Digital SLR in general. So if this question displays my ignorance I apologize in advance. Is it possible to make the Sigma EF-610 flash work as a slave? If so how would you go about it? The switch on the back of it only has 4 settings. 1 (off) 2 (TTL) 3 (MH) 4 (ML). I would like to play around with it off camera to see the effects of directional lighting but I'm not sure how to set it up. The instructions that came with the flash are nearly useless. Thanks in advance for any advice.

01-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you have the EF610ST and not the EF610Super. If so, I don't think it supports wireless as you don't mention other options and it's not mentioned in the manual.

Your best option is to buy wireless triggers.
01-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
sterretje
Have you used them before? If so any suggestions on brand. Would I just be better off returning the Sigma flash and getting one that does support wireless? Thanks for any advice.
01-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Easy answer - Yes, no problem. Go to B&H and enter the word "slave" into their search box. There, you'll find everything from inexpensive optical slaves to Pocket Wizards.
Optical slaves are basically hot shoes that have an eye that looks for light coming from another flash, sometimes called the "master." The light from the master flash (you can use the built-in flash on your K-30) enters the eye of the slave, hits a solar cell which generates enough power to trigger the flash that it's attached to. It does all of this at the speed of light and without the need of any power source. The base of the slave is usually threaded to accept some kind of an adapter to then be screwed into a light stand or even a tripod head.
Pocket Wizards are just one of many radio slaves that run on batteries. Instead of looking for visible light from the master, you have a transmitter that fits onto your camera's hot shoe. When you trip the shutter the transmitter sends a radio signal (at 186,000 miles per second) to how ever many receivers you have connecting to how many flashes you're using. The radio slaves are not line of sight like optical slaves which need to "see" the light in order to work. So you can place them anywhere and at further distances than optical slaves. Plus with radio slaves, depending on brand and model, you can adjust things via a remote.

Hope this helped.

Frank

01-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Easy answer - Yes, no problem. Go to B&H and enter the word "slave" into their search box. There, you'll find everything from inexpensive optical slaves to Pocket Wizards.
Optical slaves are basically hot shoes that have an eye that looks for light coming from another flash, sometimes called the "master." The light from the master flash (you can use the built-in flash on your K-30) enters the eye of the slave, hits a solar cell which generates enough power to trigger the flash that it's attached to. It does all of this at the speed of light and without the need of any power source. The base of the slave is usually threaded to accept some kind of an adapter to then be screwed into a light stand or even a tripod head.
Pocket Wizards are just one of many radio slaves that run on batteries. Instead of looking for visible light from the master, you have a transmitter that fits onto your camera's hot shoe. When you trip the shutter the transmitter sends a radio signal (at 186,000 miles per second) to how ever many receivers you have connecting to how many flashes you're using. The radio slaves are not line of sight like optical slaves which need to "see" the light in order to work. So you can place them anywhere and at further distances than optical slaves. Plus with radio slaves, depending on brand and model, you can adjust things via a remote.

Hope this helped.

Frank
I have some similar questions so I'm glad the OP started this thread. I have the new Pentax AF360FGZ II, a K-3, and a couple of pocket wizards, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach the Pocket Wizard to the flash. I have used a couple of Lumipro Universal Hot Shoe Translators to link the camera to the flash via a cable, but when I set it up that way, my camera flash goes off as well as the off-camera flash (and I don't want the camera flash to go off). But I can't figure out the wireless set-up.
01-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I know that those exist. Question is if they will ignore the pTTL preflash?
01-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I know that those exist. Question is if they will ignore the pTTL preflash?
Some of the optical slaves with a redeye setting will ignore the preflash. The Seagull SYK-5 definitely does (full credit to PF member JimJohnson - do a forum search on "SYK-5" for details).
01-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
and I don't want the camera flash to go off
The only way to do that is keep the on board flash closed, and your camera won't automatically release it, either. Your AF360 won't be triggered wirelessly by your camera if you don't have the on board flash popped up, so unless you mount it on one of your Pocket Wizard receivers and you have a Pocket Wizard transmitter mounted on your camera, it won't fire. If you set your on board flash to be a controller only, the pTTL pre-flash will contribute very little to the total exposure, and won't interfere with what you are trying to do with remote flash, but if you insist on having the on board flash not fire, don't pop it up.

01-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Some of the optical slaves with a redeye setting will ignore the preflash
In Servo mode, the Metz 52 AF-1 can be set to synchronize without pre-flash. It also has a "learn" function that ignores partial flashes for red eye reduction if you don't turn it off for the main camera flash.
01-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
In Servo mode, the Metz 52 AF-1 can be set to synchronize without pre-flash. It also has a "learn" function that ignores partial flashes for red eye reduction if you don't turn it off for the main camera flash.
OP is using the Sigma EF610ST
01-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The only way to do that is keep the on board flash closed, and your camera won't automatically release it, either. Your AF360 won't be triggered wirelessly by your camera if you don't have the on board flash popped up, so unless you mount it on one of your Pocket Wizard receivers and you have a Pocket Wizard transmitter mounted on your camera, it won't fire. If you set your on board flash to be a controller only, the pTTL pre-flash will contribute very little to the total exposure, and won't interfere with what you are trying to do with remote flash, but if you insist on having the on board flash not fire, don't pop it up.
When I was experimenting with a wired set-up, I did have the on-board flash set to controller only and it seemed to be contributing a fair bit of light to the scene. But I probably didn't experiment enough.

I do have two Pocket Wizards and was using them in a studio lighting course last week. I had no problem attaching one to my camera, but I am having trouble figuring out how to attach the other one to my AF360. (I will confess that I am less skilled than a monkey in a spaceship when it comes to technology and anything mechanical, but I suspect that I'm missing something obvious. Is there a thingamajig that attaches to the flash that attaches to the Pocket Wizard? Is the Lumipro universal hot shoe translator that thingamajig? (I also have the Pentax Off-Camera Shoe Adaptor F and the Pentax TTL Hot Shoe Adaptor FG; one of them attaches to the camera but I can't seem to make the other one attach to the flash.)
01-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Is there a thingamajig that attaches to the flash that attaches to the Pocket Wizard
If you can post a picture of how you have everything set up, that could be helpful. You don't mention a cable and you will need one with either the Pocket Wizard radios or the Pentax shoe adapters. Unfortunately, a cable that works with one system won't work with the other. You should be able to use the Lumipro hot shoe with either a standard PC sync cable or a miniphone cable to connect one of your Pocket Wizard radios to your Pentax flash, but you will have to use the flash in manual mode.
01-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter

If you can post a picture of how you have everything set up, that could be helpful. You don't mention a cable and you will need one with either the Pocket Wizard radios or the Pentax shoe adapters. Unfortunately, a cable that works with one system won't work with the other. You should be able to use the Lumipro hot shoe with either a standard PC sync cable or a miniphone cable to connect one of your Pocket Wizard radios to your Pentax flash, but you will have to use the flash in manual mode.
I guess I'll have to take that photo using available light since I can't get the flash to work yet
01-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter

You are really close

When I was experimenting with a wired set-up, I did have the on-board flash set to controller only and it seemed to be contributing a fair bit of light to the scene. But I probably didn't experiment enough.
The Master/Controller setting refers specifically to wireless optical triggering via Pentax' wireless P-TTL protocol. Neither the Pocketwizards nor the Lumopro Universal Translators support the Pentax wireless P-TTL protocol. (They don't support the wired P-TTL protocol either, for that matter.) They are 100% manual only. So if you go back to a wired connection, just close the on-board flash. The K-3 will trigger the off-camera flash through the hotshoe.

I do have two Pocket Wizards and was using them in a studio lighting course last week. I had no problem attaching one to my camera, but I am having trouble figuring out how to attach the other one to my AF360. (I will confess that I am less skilled than a monkey in a spaceship when it comes to technology and anything mechanical, but I suspect that I'm missing something obvious. Is there a thingamajig that attaches to the flash that attaches to the Pocket Wizard? Is the Lumipro universal hot shoe translator that thingamajig? (I also have the Pentax Off-Camera Shoe Adaptor F and the Pentax TTL Hot Shoe Adaptor FG; one of them attaches to the camera but I can't seem to make the other one attach to the flash.)
I believe the Pocket Wizards (when used as receivers) use a 3.5-mm audio-type cable, which should have come with the kit. These will interface with the Lumopro universal hotshoe translator on which you mount the flash. Yes, that means you have a receiver kinda dangling next to the off-camera flash. There are some hotshoe adapter thingies that will let you hang the receiver next to the flash without stressing the 3.5-mm cable. I probably shouldn't say much because I don't actually have the Pocket Wizards.