Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Every one of my Pentax DSLR's has a cut down screen from an old Pentax film camera.
If you can find the plain all matte screen, you can cut it down to fit.
But due to the dimmer view of the modern viewfinder, you may want to keep a split screen.

01-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Every one of my Pentax DSLR's has a cut down screen from an old Pentax film camera.
If you can find the plain all matte screen, you can cut it down to fit.
But due to the dimmer view of the modern viewfinder, you may want to keep a split screen.
Thanks for the info, interesting to know that can work.

I tried an old ME Super screen which appears to be plastic. Did you cut plastic ones or glass screens down? If glass, how did you cut it?
Thanks -W
01-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #18
Inactive Account

They are plastic. I cover the screen on both sides with frosted scotch tape. That way I can measure and mark with pencil where to cut. Don't press the tape down hard, you want to be able to easily peel it back off.
01-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
They are plastic. I cover the screen on both sides with frosted scotch tape. That way I can measure and mark with pencil where to cut. Don't press the tape down hard, you want to be able to easily peel it back off.
Thanks -W

02-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by culturalproduct Quote
I should just add that the focusing seems accurate using the split prism and micro-prism ring, so I believe the sensor is correctly aligned. The focusing problem I was having at the start of this thread appears to be entirely a result of poor sharpness and clarity of the focusing screens.
Turns out that's not true... I am getting front focus by about an inch. It wasn't too noticeable until I was trying to focus on things quite close to the camera, like within three feet or so.

On checking found the problem is the same with both the Katzeye and Pentax screens.

Exploring shims.

In 30 years of film SLRs I never needed or even heard of shims in a viewfinder. It seems insane that a camera manufacturer can't get a focusing screen in the right spot. Why is it an old $200 cheapo film SLR is better made than a $1600 DSLR?
02-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by culturalproduct Quote
Exploring shims.

In 30 years of film SLRs I never needed or even heard of shims in a viewfinder. It seems insane that a camera manufacturer can't get a focusing screen in the right spot. Why is it an old $200 cheapo film SLR is better made than a $1600 DSLR?
One of my pet peeves as well. The screen registration used to be precision machined into the mirror box and then fine-tuned with shims until the focus system was properly collimated to the film plane. With the onset of AF, crummy viewfinders, and relatively slow lenses, the camera makers have become slack in the design and implementation of their manual focus systems.

Steve