Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

My K200D is dead.

Long story short, I bought used K200D in good condition on ebay, have played with that camera for 10 days to be exact, and today it stopped working.

I've been shooting outside, and suddenly the camera started making a noise like continuous shooting. I turned it off, but it kept making that noise any way, and stopped only when I pulled the batteries out.
I let it rest for half an hour, then placed batteries back, but it did not work. Nothing. Just plain dead. I put brand new alkaline batteries- nothing.
What the heck happened?!
Should I start looking for replacement?

01-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of batteries are you using? I found that my istD & K100D don't like alkalines that much. Eneloops work flawlessly in both cameras.
01-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
What kind of batteries are you using? I found that my istD & K100D don't like alkalines that much. Eneloops work flawlessly in both cameras.
I was using eneloop which came with the camera and charger. They don't last long (must be old), so I ordered 8 batteries for replacement, and they did not arrive yet.
I'm charging eneloops now, so it may still hope.
Do you know what happened? Why it acted up that way?

Last edited by micromacro; 01-25-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: adding
01-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Batteries can't deliver enough power can be one reason. Bad contact in the battery compartment an other one although I consider that less likely from your description.

01-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Batteries can't deliver enough power can be one reason. Bad contact in the battery compartment an other one although I consider that less likely from your description.
My inclination is to agree with this - make sure the contacts are clean and you have good batteries installed. Also, make sure that the memory card door is fully closed. If it is partly slid open, your camera won't power up. I've had this happen to me before followed by a brief panic attack until realizing the problem.
Daryl
01-25-2014, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I put eneloops back. Camera wooooorks!
Thanks!
01-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! It's a good camera, very very good at ISO 100 IMHO.
01-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My K200D has done the same type of thing when the batteries get low. Enjoy it. The K200D is a Great camera. It will serve you well!!!

01-26-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K200D can do a variety of weird things when batteries get low. The Kx was the same, and before Eneloops became common there were a lot of people complaining about it.

If you use a grip, be aware that the camera won't automatically switch to the grip batteries when the body ones run down. It will try to use the flat batteries and will behhave weirdly.
01-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The K200D can do a variety of weird things when batteries get low. The Kx was the same, and before Eneloops became common there were a lot of people complaining about it.

If you use a grip, be aware that the camera won't automatically switch to the grip batteries when the body ones run down. It will try to use the flat batteries and will behhave weirdly.
I don't have a grip, and I rather prefer to carry an extra battery set in the bag instead of adding more weight into camera.
Pentax is weird really Instead of some "civilized" notice camera just scared me with tah-tah-tah-tah without stopping even being off!

My batteries are really getting bad not holding charge any more. Hopefully BHph ships fast

I also could not focus with my new lens arrived yesterday, F 35-70mm, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the old batteries as well.

Thanks you, guys!
Now I'm aware of Pentax troubles. I'm madly in love with K200D , but the battery... Why?! This is the only biggest drawback! Huge.
Especially after discovering that I can not use just any AA ! Bulky charger, heavy battery set. What the heck they have been thinking applying an outdated feature on such a great camera.
Could Pentax keep CCD sensor and modern batteries? I would love to buy that camera.
01-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Personally I like the AA batteries in my K200D. I use eneloops exclusively in my camera and flash. I bought a Maha MH-C9000 charger for at home then keep one of the eneloop chargers I have that came with some of my eneloops in my camera bag for when I'm away from home and need a charge.

It's the battery technology that makes it hard to gage when the batteries are dead. The battery meter reads battery voltage and eneloops will put out plenty voltage until the are exhausted. That's how they supply the higher current demanded by the K200D. It's very hard to gage something that doesn't have a linear voltage drop during its use.

Energizer Lithium Ultimate's are also a viable battery that can be used in the K200D. They run around $10.00 for a set of 4. They also last for well over 1000 shots usually and they are very lightweight. I prefer the eneloops myself as I can usually get between 500 to 800 shots out of 1 charge and because of my big hands I keep a grip on mine so with the batteries in the grip I'm good for 1500+ shots before I need to change batteries. The eneloops also have a very slow self discharge rate so you can expect to have a ready camera even after sitting unused for a while. Even your extra charged set will have over a year of shelf life without recharging.

Enjoy your K200D. I've taken a lot of great shots with mine.
01-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Energizer Lithium Ultimate's are also a viable battery that can be used in the K200D. They run around $10.00 for a set of 4. They also last for well over 1000 shots usually and they are very lightweight. I prefer the eneloops myself as I can usually get between 500 to 800 shots out of 1 charge and because of my big hands I keep a grip on mine so with the batteries in the grip I'm good for 1500+ shots before I need to change batteries.
Thanks, it's good to know about eneloop substitute. I got about 240 shoots today before the batteries discharged again. Definitely need replacement.
01-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have found that just having Eneloop batteries is not enough - it's very important to have a good battery charger. Even with Eneloops I found that they wouldn't work properly despite being in my cheap charger overnight. I spent 25GBP on a proper charger that can charge slowly (better for the batteries) or quickly if necessary and shuts off when the batteries are charged. It can also drain all the charge before re-charging, which prolongs the life of the batteries, and can do that repeatedly in order to return previously "abused" batteries to their best condition. Since I started using it my batteries last longer and no longer give me problems.
01-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have found that just having Eneloop batteries is not enough - it's very important to have a good battery charger. Even with Eneloops I found that they wouldn't work properly despite being in my cheap charger overnight. I spent 25GBP on a proper charger that can charge slowly (better for the batteries)
I have Sanyo nc-mono4e, like this one (pic is not mine)

Sanyo NC MON04E Ni Mh punjac za baterije - Velika slika
01-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i have herd, (not positive though) that made in japan energizer recharge batteries are actully rebranded eneloops. 1400 mah, and they hold a charge for quite a while off the charger.

they're not much cheaper, but much easier to find, at least out here, in a pinch. Last pack i bought was roughly 75% full right out of the package.