Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 does not focus

I bought that lens on ebay, and tested it yesterday. The lens focuses only on macro without any problem, but does not focus at any other step, and the camera does not allow me to take picture.
First I thought it's a battery issue, and this morning I've tested again with fully charged batteries. Nothing changed. I still can take pictures only focusing on macro.
Blades look clean, the lens is very clean in general, but aperture ring is quite stiff.

01-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I bought that lens on ebay, and tested it yesterday. The lens focuses only on macro without any problem, but does not focus at any other step, and the camera does not allow me to take picture.
First I thought it's a battery issue, and this morning I've tested again with fully charged batteries. Nothing changed. I still can take pictures only focusing on macro.
Blades look clean, the lens is very clean in general, but aperture ring is quite stiff.
Careful... The first one of those I bought the distance ring was stiff and jammed coming out of macro. When I turned it too hard something broke on the inside rendering it useless. So now it is parts lens. The second one I bought is flawless and I really like it.

PS. there is a shafted screw on the back of the mount that should turn when you turn the focus and distance rings...take a look at that and see if it turns.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.
01-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
micromacro - There is a macro setting on the zoom ring, past 70mm. To get out of that mode you may have to adjust the zoom back towards 35mm. There may be a little resistance, but then it should turn, and once out of macro mode it should focus normally.
I hope that is all it needs! Nick
01-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Careful... The first one of those I bought the distance ring was stiff and jammed coming out of macro. When I turned it too hard something broke on the inside rendering it useless. So now it is parts lens. The second one I bought is flawless and I really like it.

PS. there is a shafted screw on the back of the mount that should turn when you turn the focus and distance rings...take a look at that and see if it turns.
The distance ring is not stiff, but the aperture a bit stiff. I did not turn anything hard, perhaps someone before me did?
Great sharpness on macro, but that's all I got. Lens does not focus at any other step, but macro. It tries, makes noise, rotating, stops like focused, but does not focus.
So, I got broken one.

01-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the problem was not described in the listing, then you have the right to send it back for refund. Just file a claim through eBay and you'll get your purchase price and freight cost refunded. However, the seller has no obligation to compensate you for the return shipping cost.

I would suggest that you first contact the seller, before filing a claim, to see what can be done. He may agree to a full refund, including return postage. Alternatively, he may offer you a discounted price. Just remember to be civil and do not be aggressive in your communications. If you write angry words, the seller will feel threatened and less likely to be in a helpful mood.
01-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
If the problem was not described in the listing, then you have the right to send it back for refund. Just file a claim through eBay and you'll get your purchase price and freight cost refunded. However, the seller has no obligation to compensate you for the return shipping cost.
I contacted the seller this morning, he did not respond yet. Because I contacted with ebay message form, ebay automatically opened dispute case since the lens was covered by money back guarantee.
The seller's description is confusing: on the top of the listing page- no return, but 10 days return offered in description. Anyway, I need to wait 3 days for seller's response, then, if he did not answer, to escalate the dispute.
01-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There should be three rings on the lens: Aperture, focus and zoom. Have you adjusted the zoom ring throughout its range? It is the one marked 35, 50, 70 etc. If so, a return is probably your best bet. But make sure you don't just have it in macro mode.

Nick

here I added a picture to show you. If you already tried this my apologies.
Attached Images

01-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
There should be three rings on the lens: Aperture, focus and zoom. Have you adjusted the zoom ring throughout its range? It is the one marked 35, 50, 70 etc. If so, a return is probably your best bet. But make sure you don't just have it in macro mode.

Nick

here I added a picture to show you. If you already tried this my apologies.
Thanks, Nick. Yep, I have tried all the settings, and the lens focuses only in macro.
Today I've tested it again in 35-50-70, and got a few pictures when I forced the focusing part at the end manually. I could move the focusing ring to the point when the camera confirms right focus with beep and allows me to take a picture.

It seems like the focusing ring (part) is stiff, and needs to be clean and lubricate. I've never done something like that, but it's always the first time
Also focusing is noisy, and I have not idea it should be that way, or it's just my lens.

The seller did not respond yet, and I don't send the lens back before he responds to discuss the issue. Perhaps, I will agree for partial refund, keep this lens for something like 10 bucks, buy another lens, and take this one apart.

01-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Please forgive me for asking so many questions. I think that lens is ok, it's either the camera or photographer. Or both.

Because I bought the camera second hand, and because I got the body only, and added the first manual lens a bit later, (and because I'm damn!) it took me a while to notice some weird things.
First, I thought that lens is dirty because all pictures had the same spots on light background. Fine, I bought the lens cleaning kit and thought I need to clean the lens inside. Good that before I messed with the lens, my second lens arrived. That's how I discovered that I need to clean the sensor. The camera, which used "in studio" according to the seller, has plenty of dust inside.

Second, I was upset by sharpness of the pictures on long distance. Blamed the lens again. Now, with my forth lens, I get the same blurry backgrounds all the time when trying to shoot landscape images.

It finally hit me today, struggling with another new lens, that something is wrong.

So, I got this lens, 35-70, tried different mode (using A aperture as well) shot the same subject from the same distance, changing aperture setting, pressing green button, pressing DOF button... All the pictures came the same: same blurry background like with the same aperture.
Yep, I checked EXIF data, the same ISO 800 :
1/10 f 4.5
1/8 f4.5
1/6 f4.5
1/5 f4.5

And the background indicates that is it around f4.5, the pictures are identical, no matter what aperture I set. So, it's not only data, the pictures prove the same.
I'm going nuts already.
What am I possibly doing wrong?!
01-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Can you show us some sample shots?
02-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, here is an update.
I decided to buy the same lens, and it arrived today. So, nothing is wrong with the camera, nothing is wrong with me , but with the seller who claimed that first lens worked perfectly. Now I know how that lens should work perfectly.
No focus issue, no issues at all, no noise, just a pure pleasure. It's my favorite lens for sure. So sharp, so light, so fast.

I messed up buying two lenses so far, without having any experience. I kept them both, bought their replacements in great condition, and one day I will try to fix the broken ones. Or kill them
Next time I will be really careful buying old used lenses.
02-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats on getting a good copy of that lens. I like it a lot too! It is my most "film-like" lens in terms of color rendering. There is no way I can recreate the tones in post processing like this lens does.

One thing I noticed is that this lens seems to absorb a lot of light and not a lot gets through to the sensor. Maybe it's just my imagination but I do feel like the shutter speeds are slower at similar focal lengths compared to other lenses. Exposures comes out fine though. I call this my "dark lens".
02-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
One thing I noticed is that this lens seems to absorb a lot of light and not a lot gets through to the sensor. Maybe it's just my imagination but I do feel like the shutter speeds are slower at similar focal lengths compared to other lenses. Exposures comes out fine though. I call this my "dark lens".
I usually adjust the shutter speed all the time manually, after the test shoot for the light conditions, so I can not really tell since I do not have much experience with old lenses yet. I bought 4 so far (not counting 2 bad copies) in a short period of time- got old lenses fever.