Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DL may have died

I got a new to me lens Friday. A Promaster 28-105 f4 . I tried it on my K-30 it works fine. I thought that I would get my DL out and try it in that body and see what it can do on it, since I think I still get some of my best shots with it. I put fresh batteries in it a couple of weeks ago when I was using it. The battery indicator was acting funny so I decided to replace them. I couldn't get the battery door open That is when I noticed the white powder in a small line from the compartment. AGHHHH. I got the door open and the batteries out. I am going to try to neutralize the acid and clean the mess. Hopefully It can be saved. I know it isn"t worth much , but I have had it so long and learned so much with it, and still enjoy using it so much, I hate to see it just be a brick.
It is off to make up a baking soda mixture for neutralizing the acid.

01-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thread moved. General Talk is for non photographic related topics only.

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-27-2014 at 08:13 AM.
01-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had the same thing happen with my ds. So much for sony batteries being good. Actually I have seen energizer and Duracell do that too. One of them (I can not recall which will replace a product damaged by their batteries (they did on a $15 item for me anyway and I think they have a.written warranty that says they will) They leed me to believe it was likely caused by improper storage before I bought them. What kind of batteries were they?

I got lucky on my ds. It only got on the contacts attached to the door that pops open so it wasn't too hard to clean. It has been working fine since. good luck....
02-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the encouraging words. It looks as if the majority of the damage is on and near the lid. I am going to try to clean and resurrect the DL.