Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shutter count on a dslr

This could be a really dumb question for most of you but how do we find out the shutter count on a Pentax DSLR ? I can see the name of the file the K-5 generates and I assume that is the shutter count no. But, this is a guess and I don't know if there is any other way to find out !!

Thanks in advance !!

01-27-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A very simple way is to upload a picture from your camera here.
01-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
A very simple way is to upload a picture from your camera here.
Thanks Mate.....That helped....
01-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The number on of the image has barely a relationship with the shutter count.

The camera keeps internally track of the last number used; it however also takes into account the images that are already on the card. It will take the highest of the two and continues from there. It happened to me while swapping cards between K10D and K100D; numbers all at a sudden went up from e.g 1000 to 2000

01-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, got it....

Sterretje,

You are right. I checked the latest photo I took with this site's shutter counter check and it returned 1412 whereas the photo name was img2643.jpeg. So, definitely, the name doesn't mean anything. But, I thought there must be some other way to figure out shutter counter other than using this site.

Anyone ?

Thanks Sterretje..

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The number on of the image has barely a relationship with the shutter count.

The camera keeps internally track of the last number used; it however also takes into account the images that are already on the card. It will take the highest of the two and continues from there. It happened to me while swapping cards between K10D and K100D; numbers all at a sudden went up from e.g 1000 to 2000
01-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ankurbbhatt Quote
But, I thought there must be some other way to figure out shutter counter other than using this site.
Yes, you can do it off-line by using an appropriate EXIF-reader or -editor. I have always used PhotoME, but unfortunately, it has not been updated for quite some time. So, presumably, the best tool will be EifTool by Phil Harvey:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Just go for the simple, Windows executable version; unzip it and drag and drop image files to the program and you will see loads of information - including shutter count.
01-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just downloaded ExifTool. Great tool for detailed EXIF information. Thanks for posting the link.

01-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hey, Thank you Stone G.

Thank you mate !!
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Yes, you can do it off-line by using an appropriate EXIF-reader or -editor. I have always used PhotoME, but unfortunately, it has not been updated for quite some time. So, presumably, the best tool will be EifTool by Phil Harvey:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Just go for the simple, Windows executable version; unzip it and drag and drop image files to the program and you will see loads of information - including shutter count.