Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #1

Can I safely use any of these old lenses on a K5?

Hi folks,

I am awaiting arrival of a K5 purchased from a forum member. Until I can save for a newer lense I wondered if these lenses, from my oldRicoh and Ricoh made for Sears slr s will suffice? I remember reading about a pin on olderRicoh? lenses that may jam on newer dslr's

These are the lenses I have:
Auto Sears mc 50 mm 1: 1.7 made in japan
Tamron AF LD 70-300. f 4-5.6. tele-macro.
Sears auto zoom mc. 70-200 f 4.0.
It also has a kr on it. I believe that just indicates the model camera it was packaged with.

I would appreciate your advice. Don't want to damage my new baby. Thank you in advance

01-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens says KR, you will first need to remove the "Ricoh Pin", otherwise the lens might get stuck on your camera. The other lenses should work fine without modification however.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/44315-bewar...eture-pin.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/62194-ricoh-...ed-remove.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/187537-rico...-question.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they have the Ricoh pin remove it. It is very easy to do. Then you will be safe.
01-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But if the 'Ricoh pin' is a rounded nub you don't have to worry about it.

It will be interesting to see what the Sears zoom is. I can find info about a 70-210 F/4 but not a 70-200 F/4.

Third party lenses with a 'Ricoh pin' are usually marked PK-A/R, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

01-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But if the 'Ricoh pin' is a rounded nub you don't have to worry about it.
This is a difficult matter. It used to be my practice to recommend total avoidance or surgery to avoid "Ricoh pin" peril. That is the safest route to be sure, though things get muddy when considering the benign version of the pin. Boris describe that version as a rounded nub. The examples I have seen have been a spring-loaded ball or rounded pin that extends a very small distance beyond the mount face and which easily rides over the edge of the AF drive well.

The dangerous version of the pin is an actual spring-loaded pin that extends a fair distance from the mount face. Both types are found on both Rikenon P and third-party lenses for the Ricoh P mount. The benign version (rounded nub or ball) can be safely used on Pentax AF cameras and should not be a cause for surgical intervention.

As always, I must add that XR Rikenon and Auto Rikenon and plain Rikenon are all safe and do not have the pin.

Steve
01-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll check the mounts when I get home from work.
BTW I think the sears zoom is a 70-210. Dont know why I said 70-200. ; - )

Thanks,
Deb