Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The lens align is on its way to Brad Shea.

Thanks again to comprock for setting this up!

Mike Sullivan
Agreed! When I receive it I will post here.

11-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

It arrived today - I haven't opened it up to understand it yet, but soon enough I will setup a test. Thanks again.
11-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my first test shot with my 18-135 at 18mm

Here's my first test shot at 18mm on my DA 18-135 lens. It appears to me that this shows slight back focus - do you guys agree?

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 05:19 PM ----------

Looking at the test shot it appears my setup drifted a tiny bit and I'm not perfectly squared up anymore. I'll be correcting this and taking another shot... really wish my K50 had wifi transfer capabilities! Shooting, removing the card, editing (cropping) the picture, and viewing it and then putting the card back is not easy to do without changing the orientation etc.

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 05:37 PM ----------

Here's another view - a little more correctly setup I think.

11-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter

I've made some more test shots all at 18mm on the same lens. I think the +5 is the best so far but not entirely perfect. +10 seems to be too much, as did +8. I'm trying to narrow in on it but the process is very slow. Take a shot or two, record what they were and then shut off the camera, move the card to the chromebook, edit the picture (crop & add a note on the adjustment used) and save.

Here's the +5 version:

11-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: South Portland, Montreal, Paris, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@bradshea, I'm still seeing back focusing. I'll admit, it's a pain…

Have you tried centering on hole C? Then looking at the mid-size numbers on the right?
11-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
@bradshea, I'm still seeing back focusing. I'll admit, it's a pain…

Have you tried centering on hole C? Then looking at the mid-size numbers on the right?
Do you mean setting up the camera so it is centered on the c rather than the normal target hole? Essentially moving farther to the right?

What it's the purpose of that change, I won't be able to be certain of the two being parallel at that point, but I can try. The 18-135 id's sharper in the center, is that the point?

---------- Post added 11-22-14 at 11:52 PM ----------

Oh and thanks, I see some backfocus also, but more troubling id's that some shots are just not in focus. I may be in too dimly lit an area. How much light is needed?
11-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: South Portland, Montreal, Paris, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Original Poster
On lighting, I never really thought about it. The bad joke would be, enough to see.

On parallel, if you can see the hole in back centered, you're level and probably good enough.

Could you put up your +8 and +10 images?

Did you do any negatives? Sometimes, I found having a clear wrong image to work with helped unblur my own eyes.
11-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

On lighting, I never really thought about it. The bad joke would be, enough to see.

On parallel, if you can see the hole in back centered, you're level and probably good enough.

Could you put up your +8 and +10 images?

Did you do any negatives? Sometimes, I found having a clear wrong image to work with helped unblur my own eyes.
I did do negative 5 and 10 and I will upload them soon. Family and friends will be staying over the next week so my ability to use the first room for this is limited.

11-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

Several more adjustment attempts as requested.
This time I edited the pictures and added the adjustment info in each to keep these easier to track.

---------- Post added 11-24-14 at 11:16 PM ----------

The -5 and -10 are clearly wrong, so I think I'm on the right track. +10 looks too far the other way to me and I can't really decide about +8, my next step was to go back and shoot +6 and +7 and +9 and compare them. Ye gads this is tedious, and I haven't even gotten one lens dialed in yet. <sigh> I wonder if I was better off not knowing - LOL.
11-25-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
haha, no kidding on being tedious. I'd stick a lens on and start with -10 and single shot through each adjustment. Then pull into my computer for pixel peeping.

I think you'll find the +8 to +6 probably the magic ones.
11-26-2014, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #101

very nice as well,....very generous, good forums as well...

Last edited by kkkdfjf; 12-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.
11-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

haha, no kidding on being tedious. I'd stick a lens on and start with -10 and single shot through each adjustment. Then pull into my computer for pixel peeping.

I think you'll find the +8 to +6 probably the magic ones.
That makes sense, but verifying alignment is a chore... basically even in live view zoomed in at 135mm, I can't see the alignment. I have to take a shot, then move it to my computer... then make an adjustment... and repeat.
11-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to see that Brad is getting more use out of the device than I did. I really found it to be more work than it was worth. Which makes Comprock generosity in letting the rest of us play with it even nicer. Now we know whether we need it without spending a lot of money. Thanks again to Comprock.
11-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Glad to see that Brad is getting more use out of the device than I did. I really found it to be more work than it was worth. Which makes Comprock generosity in letting the rest of us play with it even nicer. Now we know whether we need it without spending a lot of money. Thanks again to Comprock.
I agree. It really isn't hard to setup and use - but it is hard to do so efficiently. I suspect that this would be easier if you use a mobi eyefi card.
11-29-2014, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #105
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm happy to share this. It really seems like a piece of kit you buy once per lens and never use again. However, it's not something you find used unless your local thrift shop had a photographers estate for sale. So, I'd rather this kit gets used by folks who can use it instead of it collecting dust while I'm on the road.

This is a good reason to get a mobi eyefi, actually, it seems any tripod work would be a good reason. Guess, I do have some BF/CM shopping to do.

Ciao from, where am I now, oh, not so fancy, just Durham, New Hampshire. I guess after 6+ months on the road going around the world twice, being someplace mundane is good.

---------- Post added Nov 29th, 2014 at 15:54 ----------

I've revised my how to post at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/249871-l...ml#post2669286. Can you guys please critique? Thank you.