Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have it in front of me, but if I recall correctly, you point the camera at the inner circle (i.e., closest to the ruler. Right/Left is too confusing because it's one when you're looking from the camera, but the other when you're sitting behind it trying to line it up), because that's the center point of the target + ruler, but you use the center circle to align the target to the camera (unless you're shooting from macro distances, then you use the inner one. The outer one is "for special use" or something, but I don't recall seeing any list of what it's for. I'd guess very long telephoto, maybe?).

You can point the camera at the target from any angle and still see the target, so that's not sufficient.
You use the circle holes to align the target to the center of the lens, because that makes sure that the target is parallel to the camera sensor.
You can make the very minor adjustment to the camera's focus from that point, to point it at the right circle, and you'll still be able to see the lens through the center hole.

I'm seriously tempted to set up something with a laser pointer to make this easier. The two holes is a nice, simple solution, but putting a laser behind it so you don't have to try lining them up with your eyes would be much more useful. Even a flashlight would probably work if you shut all the lights off and you're not too far away. I might be able to convince my wife to hold a laser pointer while I line it up.

01-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried the flashlight method - simply to light up the holes better - that was a bust. The LED flashlight may have been the problem but the result was that it bleed through the holes and widened out (think the hole acted like an aperture - what a shock - and was visible clearly from multiple angles.

I use the center circle also - and I agree with the logic expressed - that's the only way to be sure you have the target parallel to the camera. Even using a laser pointer would be complicated because you need to see the relative positions of the two outside circles which should be out of alignment with the front circles when things are perfectly aligned.
What it would do is ensure that the height and center of the lens are in the right place - then only the axis of the two (target and camera) would need adjustments.
01-12-2015, 06:22 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you guys for keeping this conversation going. I'm still trying to glean what I can for improving the directions better. Any specifics you have would be appreciated.
06-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Original Poster
Howdy all, I'm back and officially living in the United States after eight of nomadic travels. Though, I still have a about two months of travel out of the US left this year.

Anyways… does anyone know where my Lensalign kit is in the world? I've lost track of it.

06-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
Anyways… does anyone know where my Lensalign kit is in the world? I've lost track of it.
Looked through the thread. I think @UncleVanya has it now?
06-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Looked through the thread. I think @UncleVanya has it now?
I do. It has been here forever.
Are you looking for it to be sent your way?

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 10:28 PM ----------

Howdy all, I'm back and officially living in the United States after eight of nomadic travels. Though, I still have a about two months of travel out of the US left this year.

Oh ! I missed this post. Yes I have it. Happy to send it to you or the next soul who you want it sent to.
I used it a lot right after getting it but not much in the interim.
06-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I do. It has been here forever.
Are you looking for it to be sent your way?
Nah, I just felt like helping.

06-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@UncleVanya @lithedreamer Thank you for helping out with locating the unit.

If there's not someone needing the Lensalign kit in the next couple of weeks, then let's have it shipped back to me. I maybe getting the K-1 picked up with a 24-70 before I leave in August.
06-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@UncleVanya @lithedreamer Thank you for helping out with locating the unit.

If there's not someone needing the Lensalign kit in the next couple of weeks, then let's have it shipped back to me. I maybe getting the K-1 picked up with a 24-70 before I leave in August.
OK - PM me your address and I'll get it to you.
09-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested in borrowing the kit. Is there any chance I can still get on the list?
Regards,
Rodney
09-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rodney, I'm not back to the US until early October. Ping me then if interested and then I can check kit is all ready to go. Michael
09-20-2016, 05:33 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will do. Thanks for the follow up!

Regards,
Rodney
10-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@lazarustx I'm back home. I'll be cleaning up camera kit from 2 months on the road some evening this week. Ping me early next.
10-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@lazarustx I'm back home. I'll be cleaning up camera kit from 2 months on the road some evening this week. Ping me early next.
Hello, just a ping since I didn't hear from you via PM. Let me know if this is still an option. Thanks!
Rodney
10-19-2016, 03:27 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@lazarustx, I finally set up the kit last night to begin my micro-focusing work. Please give me a week.
Closed Thread