Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Have you thought about hitting eBay?
It's hard for new folks to take advantage of Ebay. To do well, you have to have a certain level of knowledge to know what's a good deal and what isn't.

To the OP: I agree with those who have suggested the 18-55. It's not great, but it's not horrible, either. Plus...it's cheap! lol However, for your $200, you might also be able to find a 16-45, which would be a big step up. If you don't mind manual focusing, it's relatively easy to find an older long zoom for next to nothing, so that's something you could add a little further down the road.

02-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I would pitch in with looking for a used Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - an very solid lens, in the UK used prices are around £200, a bit cheaper than the 28-75 or Sigma 17-70 mentioned. Also the DA16-45 F4 is a lovely performer and again used should be within budget. A little later add the DA50F1.8 (which is available new in the UK for £110) and you have a very workable set up
I second the motion on the Tamron 2.8. It is a fine lens, and especially useful for inside parties and other gatherings with low light situations.
02-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
It's hard for new folks to take advantage of Ebay. To do well, you have to have a certain level of knowledge to know what's a good deal and what isn't.
Sort of true. I don't possess a great deal of knowledge, but I do look here to see if there are reviews of a lens before I buy it. I also try to only buy it if it's pretty inexpensive. The Power Zoom lens that I bought for $6 has a broken PZ switch. For less than $10, it gave me an inexpensive zoom lens to put on the k-x for my daughter to use.
02-01-2014, 06:28 AM   #19

Original Poster
wow- thanks for all the information everyone.

I have to admit I think I am struggling to get the most out of ebay, which is probably due to my lack of knowledge at the moment.

now have some great lenses to look into before making my purchase.

More than happy to hear any further suggestions as well !

Thanks again

02-01-2014, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yas_min Quote
wow- thanks for all the information everyone.

I have to admit I think I am struggling to get the most out of ebay, which is probably dueh to my lack of knowledge at the moment.

now have some great lenses to look into before making my purchase.

More than happy to hear any further suggestions as well !

Thanks again
Here's my eBay strategy:

I look for Pentax lens. Sort by ending soonest. Anything under a minute, skip unless you KNOW that lens is a decent one OR one you've been wanting. As you look over your list of search results, if a lens catches your eye, have a tab open on the Pentax lens database & the third party database so you can look it up. I look at the last price paid, average price paid & average rating. I read a couple reviews. If the lens is ok, I'll bid on it, but I don't bid too high.
02-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

This looks like it might work.
Check the feedback to see if they are on the up and up first.
Sale Brand NEW Tamron AF 18 200mm F 3 5 6 3 XR DI II LD DSLR Lens FOR Pentax 025211147221 | eBay
02-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks dansamy this is a really helpful way of going about an ebay search- I think I am going to try this out!

And thanks crewl1
02-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yas_min Quote
Thanks dansamy this is a really helpful way of going about an ebay search- I think I am going to try this out!

And thanks crewl1
You're welcome! I just found that was the best way for me to pick up decent lenses to try @ bargain prices. I don't use buy it now. I will make an offer on a "best offer" listing, but nothing higher than 75% of the average paid for the lens. And if ANYTHING is wrong with the lens, dust, etc, I'm not inclined to pay very much. Usually half the going rate. If I have to tinker with it, I'm getting a bargain. Period.

It does mean that I bid on a lot of stuff and get outbid as the auction closes. That's ok. Patience is key. Also look for listings with no or very poor pictures, bad grammar, poor description, etc. Sometimes, everyone else is scared to bid on them & you'll get a lens for $5.

02-01-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
...if a lens catches your eye, have a tab open on the Pentax lens database & the third party database so you can look it up. I look at the last price paid, average price paid & average rating. I read a couple reviews. If the lens is ok, I'll bid on it, but I don't bid too high.
That's a great system to use. Nothing replaces research. #1 Figure out if you want a prime or a zoom #2 Decide if a zoom range of wide, medium, or long would be best for you. #3 Target some items on ebay and read the reviews. We can never learn enough. I've been doing this stuff for 40 years and I missed out on a really great buy at a thrift store because I didn't know enough to interpret the specific camera model. Knowledge is power.
02-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks again- this is great stuff for someone starting out so happy I found this forum