Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you Sterretje...

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You can try the formula in this post by m42man for zoom lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/142638-manual-fo...ml#post2256550

Thank you for that link..Now, it's much clearer that putting the smallest focal length or somewhat more than the smaller focal length is much advised than feeding the high focal length for the manual zoom lenses on K-5.

I now see two advantages here:

1) The Lower focal lengths are mostly used while shooting free hand so the chances of shake are much higher. I anyway intend to use tripod for the higher focal lengths above 100-135 mm. So, setting the focal length at say 50 for a 35-200 mm zoom manual lens should work well for most handheld situations.

2) Too much of a SR will not let me develop as a photographer with a firm hand. So, probably turning off the SR is a good thing and next good thing is to keep is small.

@Keith,

Did you post process the attached underexposed photo in Pentax utility software supplied from Pentax or some professional software like Lightroom/ Photoshop? Thanks for the explanation... That would help me cuz I would be mostly shooting at low ISOs in RAW+. I am new to post processing but would love to read and know more on it..

Thanks you all again,

Ankur..

02-02-2014, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For avoiding the necessity of shake reduction as much as possible, have a search for Heie's video on how to hold the camera steady.
02-02-2014, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
have a search for Heie's video on how to hold the camera steady.
I'm not sure about the video, but his article is here: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - PentaxForums.com.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You can try the formula in this post by m42man for zoom lenses: Manual Focal lens length setting
Very interesting thread. I'll have to play with this formula.
02-02-2014, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
I'm not sure about the video, but his article is here: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - PentaxForums.com.

Very interesting thread. I'll have to play with this formula.
Thanks for finding the post. He also has a video I have seen somewhere. I just cannot find it right now. I'll keep looking.

02-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Using manual zooms on Modern DSLRs

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
What I found when using my old manual zoom was I would get much sharper pictures turning off SR and keeping the shutter speed 1/500 or higher. If you set the focal length for anything other than the ACTUAL focal length you are shooting you won't get as sharp a picture. The SR will actually blur the picture. SR and panning also don't always play together well in my experience.
Thanks kkoether, Will certainly try turning off SR. I use primes ...... 28, 50, 135 and 200. I was gonna put my 2 cents in about not having to turn camera off to input focal length but Stone G beat me to it. Great thread and replies.
02-03-2014, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ankurbbhatt Quote
Thank you for that link..Now, it's much clearer that putting the smallest focal length or somewhat more than the smaller focal length is much advised than feeding the high focal length for the manual zoom lenses on K-5.

I now see two advantages here:

1) The Lower focal lengths are mostly used while shooting free hand so the chances of shake are much higher. I anyway intend to use tripod for the higher focal lengths above 100-135 mm. So, setting the focal length at say 50 for a 35-200 mm zoom manual lens should work well for most handheld situations.

2) Too much of a SR will not let me develop as a photographer with a firm hand. So, probably turning off the SR is a good thing and next good thing is to keep is small.

@Keith,

Did you post process the attached underexposed photo in Pentax utility software supplied from Pentax or some professional software like Lightroom/ Photoshop? Thanks for the explanation... That would help me cuz I would be mostly shooting at low ISOs in RAW+. I am new to post processing but would love to read and know more on it..

Thanks you all again,

Ankur..

Ankur,

Actually it was just a quick "Levels" adjustment in FastStone Image Viewer. FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter It's free for home users.

I usually use Corel PaintShop Pro X6 for most of my stuff. The ultimate photo editor ? Corel PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate

I also use FastStone to batch resize and add my watermarks to my shots that I watermark.

Both have served me well.