Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

AE-L help ?

Hello
Can someone explain to me the function of this button?
I dont understand it, is not clear from the manual for me

02-01-2014, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, depends on the setting in the Menu.
By default: When you half-press the shutter button, AF is triggered. If you hold AE-L (with your thumb), the AF will not be triggered. This is very helpful when you don't want to waste time by having the camera re-focus. This is also helpful with the "focus and recompose" technique (you AF on a subject, then hold AE-L button and move the camera such that the in-focus subject is now away from the AF point)

You can also change the button's effect. For example, you can have it also lock the exposure value. Similar to AF, only this time its about exposure (brightness).

The other thing that people really like to do is customize this button such that AF can only be done through this button. In the menu, one of the settings is that shutter half-press no longer triggers AF. Instead, AF is only triggered by the AE-L button. This way, you have AF only when you want it.

You can experiment with this. Its a pretty useful button, but it depends on a) the situation/subject and b) your general technique
02-01-2014, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

AE-L is helpful to use in manual mode; it allows you to lock in your exposure as you change the shutter/aperture.
02-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ahhaaaaa.. thanks .. i will experiment with it

02-01-2014, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'll tell you one technique that people like to use with AE-L. First customize button such that there is no AF on shutter half-press, but only through AE-L. Then press info and select AF-C. Now you can hold the AE-L button and the camera will try to maintain focus. And when you are happy with composition, you just gently press the shutter. This is great for subjects that are moving a little.
02-01-2014, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
I read the article and watched the video below and switched my camera to back button focusing. Check it out. I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet but I think it will be a good change.

AF-ON & Back Button Autofocus: This May Just Change the Way You Shoot Forever
02-01-2014, 09:47 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I configured my K-30 to use the button exclusively for exposure locking. If you have your camera perform a single point focus (i.e. center) and then reframe your image before cycling the shutter you will see the exposure setting will adjust to your new framing while the focus is locked. That means what you want in focus could be over/under exposed. I focus on my subject, press AE-L, reframe, and then cycle the shutter. What I don't focus on may be over/under exposed but correcting bokeh and blur in post processing is a lot easier then correcting over/under exposure on the main subject!
02-01-2014, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

That is how I used the AE-L button on my film camera, doing everything before taking the first shot. With digital, I often will get a shot where everything is exposed the way I wanted, then wonder if the shot would be better at a different aperture or whatever. The AE-L button will let me keep the same scene brightness levels but get them with new combinations of aperture, shutter speed or ISO. The parameters that change are affected by what mode you're in. As mentioned above, it's nice in M mode for varying shutter speed and aperture at the same time. (That's useful for lens testing.)

02-02-2014, 04:36 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
I read the article and watched the video below and switched my camera to back button focusing. Check it out. I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet but I think it will be a good change.

AF-ON & Back Button Autofocus: This May Just Change the Way You Shoot Forever
Nice,, thats the way i want to use the button...
Can you walk me thru the menu setting for proper adjustments ?
Thank you
02-02-2014, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

On the K-5ii you go into the menu, into the 5th page of the camera menu, choose "Button Customization", then go down to "Shutter Button Half Press" and set that to "Off".

It takes a bit to get used to this, but after having shot this for a while I wouldn't have it any other way. Just expect to get a few out-of-focus pictures until you remember to focus with the AF button
02-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
On the K-5ii you go into the menu, into the 5th page of the camera menu, choose "Button Customization", then go down to "Shutter Button Half Press" and set that to "Off".

It takes a bit to get used to this, but after having shot this for a while I wouldn't have it any other way. Just expect to get a few out-of-focus pictures until you remember to focus with the AF button
Thank you..

Is there also a dedicated setting to change the AE-L button so it behaves like when pressed it will switch to AF.C from the AF.S ?

Like posted on the video from "kosmoejtg"
02-02-2014, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #12

Photos: Gallery
On the K-30 it is on page 4 of the camera menu, under Button Customization. for AF/AE-L I chose Enable AF2 which disables AF with the shutter release button.
02-02-2014, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by exnito Quote
Is there also a dedicated setting to change the AE-L button so it behaves like when pressed it will switch to AF.C from the AF.S ?

Like posted on the video from "kosmoejtg"
No, not on the K-5ii since it already has a dedicated physical switch for it (on the front, left side). It would be very confusing if you could toggle the setting independent of what the switch was set to. On the K-3 it is a toggle switch, which means you can set AF mode in e.g. the user modes. Not so on the K-5 family.