Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-30 Won't Turn Off

Well, it does now.

Whilst out shooting today, I had it remain stuck in live view mode. Wouldn't turn off. None of the buttons would respond. Yanking the battery was the only way to get it to do so.

Turned it to off, waited a few seconds, then put it back in. Mirror slapped back into place, buttons responded, and everything seemed fine.

This is a new one for me. Anyone have similar experiences?

02-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Well, it does now.

Whilst out shooting today, I had it remain stuck in live view mode. Wouldn't turn off. None of the buttons would respond. Yanking the battery was the only way to get it to do so.

Turned it to off, waited a few seconds, then put it back in. Mirror slapped back into place, buttons responded, and everything seemed fine.

This stuff happens from time to time. If your battery voltage is low, or if the drain is high, it's more likely to happen. But if all's good after the battery pull, then you're good

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This should only cause concern if it happens often, or regularly.
In the mean time, dismount the lens and make sure the mount/contacts are clean.
Also, make sure your camera has the latest firmware. These things might not be the cause of the problem, but its good to check just in case.

And maybe you want to buy another battery. Many glitches are results of battery faults or fluctuations
02-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

It has happened with my K5 when I ran the battery lower than I should have. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, just stick a fresh one in and you're set.

02-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This stuff happens from time to time. If your battery voltage is low, or if the drain is high, it's more likely to happen. But if all's good after the battery pull, then you're good
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
This should only cause concern if it happens often, or regularly.
In the mean time, dismount the lens and make sure the mount/contacts are clean.
Also, make sure your camera has the latest firmware. These things might not be the cause of the problem, but its good to check just in case.
Voltage was good as I charged it last night, and drain shouldn't have been much worse than any other day. Firmware's all up to date as well.

If it's something that happens from time to time normally and only a problem if it keeps happening, then I'll keep an eye on it but not worry too much.

Thanks everyone.
02-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Happens to my k-30 once in a while.
02-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Well, it does now.

It's happened a few times for me. I've never thought anything of it other than "cameras are complicated".

25,000+ shutter count, original firmware, still ticking . . .
02-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I experienced this also when i first used my camera with the battery with factory charge. The k-30 is very sensitive to a partially charged battery

02-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Happened to me on the K3 as well....and the battery was full

Last edited by manishved; 02-03-2014 at 10:30 PM.
02-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Happened to me with the k3 as well
02-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Try to remember that modern digital camers are a lot more digital than camera. As such, they're subject to the same idiosyncrasies that you experience with your PC, laptop, smartphone etc. Keep your firmware up to date. Don't use weak batteries. Back up your pictures frequently and don't rely on flash media. SD cards are cheap. Replace them fairly often.
02-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It used to happen to my K-30 once in a while...

I sent mine in to repair to CRIS (for a different issue) and while they were at it, they upgraded the firmware to the newest (I'd previously been running the original) and I can't really recall having much trouble with this issue ever since...
02-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Anyone have similar experiences?
A not uncommon problem in Pentaxland. I would not worry about it unless it happens a lot, or your mirror starts to flop.
02-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #14

wow it never happened to my K-30 but I think it happened to my K-5 once (situation seems similar). Will this be a common issue?
02-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
Forum Member

It happened to me a couple of times when I was still on firmware 1.02 or 1.03. It has never happened to me on 1.04 or 1.05. What firmware are you using?