Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 28-105 looks...dusty?

I pulled an old FA 28-105 out of my bag today that I inherited years ago. Checked it out, cleaned the front and back and aside from some wear on the lens hood it looks fine. When I put it on the camera and look through the viewfinder, though, it almost looks hazy. Or like it has a super light and even layer of dust, or a filter on it (it does not). It's hard to describe, I'd almost liken it to very very fine noise/grain such as in a high ISO photo.

I feel like a total newbie asking this question, but, any chance this is this normal for this lens? Or does it sound like there's dust or something internally? It doesn't seem to appear in the few photos I've taken testing it out, but it's noticeably different to look through than, say, the 35/2.4 I had on the camera previously.

I've been planning to sell it - it's not worth much but is just taking up space as I've never used it. Obviously I wont do that if it's dirty, I am just not sure it actually is. Maybe back into the bag it will go?

02-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you used a pen light to look through the lens? Do any of the elements look like they have a rainbow sheen?
02-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did use a bright flashlight right after I posted this. No rainbow sheen. I can see a bit of dust in there, but not enough that I think it would cause what I'm seeing. Hmm.
02-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This lens has a smaller aperture than the DA35/2.4, so it will look a bit dimmer and grainier when looking through the viewfinder. To make a comparison, mount your DA35/2.4, set the aperture to f/4 or f/5.6 and engage the Depth of Field preview button.

If it doesn't appear on the photos you've taken, then I'd say it's probably OK but most lens faults like dust, clouding, and scratches don't really show up under most normal shooting conditions. Try taking some shots of heavily back-lit scene and see how they turn out.

Last edited by tom1803; 02-02-2014 at 05:04 PM.