Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Blank White Screen After Taking Photo - K5

I have recently encountered a problem with my K5

I take a photo and the preview for it after taking the pic is just a pure white screen and the camera doesn't save it to the memory card.

Occasionally the camera seems to freeze part way through taking the photo and a faint whirring sound can be heard from inside, the only way to unfreeze it is to remove the battery.

I am not sure if the two problems are connected - the white screen problem happens fairly often - maybe 30% of the pictures I shoot.

I am very worried as it is out of warranty and I cannot afford a new one. The camera has had light usage - about 20,000 exposures at a guess.

Any help gratefully received, thanks.

Jay

02-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How often does it happen? I had the first problem once with my K-5, shortly after I got it. I decided that I had accidentally pressed a button on the back somewhere, can't remember which one, but I convinced myself at the time that that was what caused it. It never happened again.
02-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does this happen with only one memory card or more than one? If you only have one to test, have you formatted it lately? I appreciate this doens't get at the whirring sound, but I figure best to try the simple questions first and the ones easiest to test.
Also, does it matter what lens is on the camera? The more details you can provide the better.
02-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Battery power as an suggestion? But it seems too frequent. I've had unfrequent "bluescreens" with my K7 as well with K5, often in cold weather, eg mountain hiking last autumn. Picking the batteries out of the camera (5 mins. in a varm pocket) helped. I have always blamed a combination of weakening power supply when opertaing the camera and a "lapse" when the cam has changed battery (I use a grip). Especially when both batteries were somewhat empty. I thought it was a major "system crash" but has not ocurred since that trip, except in cold surroundings when the power supply has been...well, bad. I used the 18 - 135 mm but can not really blame the lens. Not of much help I guess... (my first post ever in a forum).

02-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reinstall the firmware. Write down your settings so you can re-enter them, but it sounds like a problem I'm having with my K-7 and the camera tech suggested that the software is the culprit.