Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #1

load photos from camers with usb cord

I have a Pentax K10 with a usb cord, but I am unable to download my photos with it. How do I do it? do I need to make a change in the camera menu, or computer program, what? I can download using the SD card in the computer.

02-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rca1 Quote
I have a Pentax K10 with a usb cord, but I am unable to download my photos with it. How do I do it? do I need to make a change in the camera menu, or computer program, what? I can download using the SD card in the computer.
After you connect the camera and power it on, your computer should detect the hardware and hopefully install the right drivers. If it doesn't, install the Pentax software from the CD that came with your camera and that should include the driver.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You will find that copying the photos directly off the SD card into your computer will be much faster. I shouldn't speak for everyone, but from what I can tell, the vast majority of members here never use the USB cable.
02-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
copying the photos directly off the SD card into your computer will be much faster
+1 on that, I always insert the SD card into the computer and do it that way.

02-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #5

You may need to go into the setup menu and change the transfer to "PC" or "PC-F".

As said before using a card reader is faster and you don't have to worry about the battery running out on you and possibly losing data. Just remember to put the card back into the camera before use. Nothing more frustrating than trying to take that "Kodak Moment" shot and seeing the "no card in camera" message.
02-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'll ask the obvious "did you turn on the camera?" It should work a lot like a USB memory stick after you do that.

Test with a different USB port?

What operating system are you using? If Windows 7 or 8, when you connect the camera and turn it on, you should see a new removable drive in Window Explorer. Depending on how you have Windows configured you may or may not get a popup window asking if you want to import the photos. On my Win 7 PC, I have Lightroom 4 configured to launch and go to the import screen as soon as I connect my K-5.
02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. I will use the card in the USB port and forget about the cord. Tanks again for your quick reply.. Bob

02-03-2014, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

though the populous seems to favor using the card in a card reader, I will say I always used the USB cable (left connected to the computer at all times) for transfer and switched 6 months ago to card reader when I got the 645D...well, I still prefer the other way which I find no slower than moving a card in and out of the card slot. I am not talking read/transfer times here; it is irrelevant for me as I usually do something else to occupy my time while waiting.
Anyway, I will go on record saying I liked the cable transfer method better...so there!
02-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
though the populous seems to favor using the card in a card reader, I will say I always used the USB cable (left connected to the computer at all times) for transfer and switched 6 months ago to card reader when I got the 645D...well, I still prefer the other way which I find no slower than moving a card in and out of the card slot. I am not talking read/transfer times here; it is irrelevant for me as I usually do something else to occupy my time while waiting.
Anyway, I will go on record saying I liked the cable transfer method better...so there!
It is good to know how to do it both ways.

Steve
02-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I like the cable transfer better also.
I just spent 24 bucks at BB for a USB3.0 PCIe card, now I like the cable transfer even better. The hub used to be the bottleneck, now the camera/card is.

edit: to OP, like they said, it should show up as a removable drive.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-03-2014 at 03:46 PM.
02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I always use the cable. Removing the card each time has a tiny risk of damaged the camera contacts. If the cable plug gets damaged (also a tiny risk) then I can switch over to using the card. There aren't rampant stories of damaged contacts but I'm rarely so pressed for time that I can't wait for photos to download via the USB port.

The biggest risks between the 2 methods are either forgetting to put the SD card back in the camera, or draining the battery if you forgot to turn the camera off after USB transfer. I always carry a spare card and battery.
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I always use the cable. Removing the card each time has a tiny risk of damaged the camera contacts. If the cable plug gets damaged (also a tiny risk) then I can switch over to using the card. There aren't rampant stories of damaged contacts but I'm rarely so pressed for time that I can't wait for photos to download via the USB port.
I find the cable very convenient and SD cards never wear out if they stay in place.
02-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I find the cable very convenient and SD cards never wear out if they stay in place.
Cannot argue with this wisdom.
02-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I like the cable transfer better also.
I just spent 24 bucks at BB for a USB3.0 PCIe card, now I like the cable transfer even better. The hub used to be the bottleneck, now the camera/card is.

edit: to OP, like they said, it should show up as a removable drive.
A USB 1 or 2 device isn't going to transfer any faster on a USB 3 card than they do on a USB 2 card. If your car can only go 110 mph it isn't going to go any faster than 110 mph on a 3 lane highway then a two lane highway.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The memory can only be written to a finite number of times so in that respect a SD card will wear out even if never removed.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-04-2014 at 02:16 AM.
02-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You may need to go into the setup menu and change the transfer to "PC" or "PC-F".

As said before using a card reader is faster and you don't have to worry about the battery running out on you and possibly losing data. Just remember to put the card back into the camera before use. Nothing more frustrating than trying to take that "Kodak Moment" shot and seeing the "no card in camera" message.
With my cameras, you don't have to remember to replace the card. They won't operate without it! ;>)