Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #1

Overexposed P-TTL when using Metz flash

My previous Pentax DSLR was fine with my Metz Af58 flash. Exposure was OK in both PTTL mode and High speed sync PTTL.

But I overexposes when mounted on the K5.
I have searched for the solution through internet, but I didn't find great solution.
Now I am using A mode on the flash, that gives me great result at normal exposure speed (30 - 1/180).

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
- Do you have experienced with this problem?,
- How do you manage it?,
- If the problem related to lenses, What lenses are showing the problem and what are not?

Thank you

02-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes it is a problem. There are a lot of threads here on the topic. You've found the main solution - don't use P-TTL. The problems arise when the preflash bounces off very shiny surfaces or very rough surface or anything that may throw off its metering. It isn't lens specific as far as I know. And yes, it is a huge frustration, especially for those who have experience with more reliable TTL metering.
02-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Yes it is a problem. There are a lot of threads here on the topic. You've found the main solution - don't use P-TTL. The problems arise when the preflash bounces off very shiny surfaces or very rough surface or anything that may throw off its metering. It isn't lens specific as far as I know. And yes, it is a huge frustration, especially for those who have experience with more reliable TTL metering.
Maybe this was why my buddy sold me the Metz at way cheaper. hehe .

I didn't find any wrong exposed photo even using direct and bounce flash indoors. Never tested the A mode outdoor in sunlight to fill photos. It is -36 degrees here in my Country.
02-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a lot of trouble with the Metz 52 AF-1 and the Pentax K5 trying to use P-TTL with the Metz off-camera triggered by the built-in flash in either master or controller mode. However, it worked reasonably well on-camera, with a little tweaking at times using exposure compensation on the camera or flash.

It was a revelation when I tried this flash with my son's K30 (P-TTL slave mode); it was perfect! And similarly with my new K3. It seems the K5 just doesn't play nicely with the Metz.
02-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I had a lot of trouble with the Metz 52 AF-1 and the Pentax K5 trying to use P-TTL with the Metz off-camera triggered by the built-in flash in either master or controller mode. However, it worked reasonably well on-camera, with a little tweaking at times using exposure compensation on the camera or flash.

It was a revelation when I tried this flash with my son's K30 (P-TTL slave mode); it was perfect! And similarly with my new K3. It seems the K5 just doesn't play nicely with the Metz.
Now I know that K3 is fine with the Metz.
I wonder why Pentax or Metz is not solving the case.

Is there any difference shown when you change lenses on the K5?
02-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksat Tutan Quote
Now I know that K3 is fine with the Metz.
I wonder why Pentax or Metz is not solving the case.

Is there any difference shown when you change lenses on the K5?
I didn't notice any difference when use alternate lenses.

Of course, my Metz 52 AF-1 is different from your 58, so behaviour may be different.
02-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Please note that this is a K-5 problem. This camera exhibits the very same problem with other flash models as well.

Don't blame the Metz flash.

The only thing you can do is to make sure you have upgraded the K-5 to the latest firmware. I believe in later firmware versions the problem was somewhat alleviated, but note that it was never completely fixed.

With a bit of digging you'll find "P-TTL overexposure" threads that expand on when exactly the problem occurrs.

Best solution: Don't use P-TTL, in particular not with a K-5.

02-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Please note that this is a K-5 problem. This camera exhibits the very same problem with other flash models as well.

Don't blame the Metz flash.

The only thing you can do is to make sure you have upgraded the K-5 to the latest firmware. I believe in later firmware versions the problem was somewhat alleviated, but note that it was never completely fixed.

With a bit of digging you'll find "P-TTL overexposure" threads that expand on when exactly the problem occurrs.

Best solution: Don't use P-TTL, in particular not with a K-5.
latest firmwares are installed both on body and flash unit with hopes of solution .

But I think, Metz can provide new firmwares on their models for k5 and also k5 can have new upgrade that can solves the problem.
02-04-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

latest firmwares are installed both on body and flash unit with hopes of solution .

But I think, Metz can provide new firmwares on their models for k5 and also k5 can have new upgrade that can solves the problem.
What I'm not sure about is how well the K5 works with Pentax's own flashes. If they're fine, I can't see why some coordination between Pentax and the third party flash manufacturers couldn't fix the issue.
02-04-2014, 04:04 AM   #11

The flash problem with the K5 is with both Pentax flashes and 3rd party flashes. It is a particular K5 problem, specifically when bounced. The Metz is a very fine flash.
02-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Metz cannot solve the metering issues of the K-5.

Pentax have provided a couple of firmware upgrades that somewhat addressed the issue but not fully fixed it. According to some Pentax official the K-5 has a hardware problem that makes it impossible to address the issue a 100%. This statement was made when the K-3 was released, pointing out that the K-3 no longer has that limitation.

I do not know whether the above "hardware limitation" statement has any merit -- to be honest it sounds a bit implausible -- but I do know that all "Hooray, the firmware update finally fixed the K-5's flash bounce overexposure issue" exclamations turned out to be premature as there were still cases left in which the K-5 failed to get the right exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What I'm not sure about is how well the K5 works with Pentax's own flashes. If they're fine, I can't see why some coordination between Pentax and the third party flash manufacturers couldn't fix the issue.
Even Pentax's own flashes are not fine.
02-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Metz cannot solve the metering issues of the K-5.

Pentax have provided a couple of firmware upgrades that somewhat addressed the issue but not fully fixed it. According to some Pentax official the K-5 has a hardware problem that makes it impossible to address the issue a 100%. This statement was made when the K-3 was released, pointing out that the K-3 no longer has that limitation.

I do not know whether the above "hardware limitation" statement has any merit -- to be honest it sounds a bit implausible -- but I do know that all "Hooray, the firmware update finally fixed the K-5's flash bounce overexposure issue" exclamations turned out to be premature as there were still cases left in which the K-5 failed to get the right exposure.

Even Pentax's own flashes are not fine.
Wow, Pentax flashes are not fine with K5?
Why the hell are they keep selling K5, K5ii and K5iiS?

So shocking. But I love my K5
02-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have used Mecabiltz 58 AF-2 and K5 both loaded with most updated firmware. The P-TTL will not work properly with all my Sigma zooms (5) but the Pentax kit zoom lens works fine. The same Mecabiltz 58 AF-2 has no exposure issue with my K-r & Sigma zooms.

The Pentax AF 160FC ring flash works great with K5, but I doubt it is a P-TTL unit.
02-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I have used Mecabiltz 58 AF-2 and K5 both loaded with most updated firmware. The P-TTL will not work properly with all my Sigma zooms (5) but the Pentax kit zoom lens works fine. The same Mecabiltz 58 AF-2 has no exposure issue with my K-r & Sigma zooms.

The Pentax AF 160FC ring flash works great with K5, but I doubt it is a P-TTL unit.
Do you mean that K5 and Metz flash are fine in PTTL mode with kit lens?
What lens do you use?