Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Kreuzn, dansamy and ausmoose, PhotoLady has got you well hooked up, I'll just add 'Try It!' to the suggestions.
Some of the Weekly and Monthly contests allow you to enter older photos, check the rules for each one you enter. If, for example, the weeks' theme is 'Shadows' it might spark a memory of an applicable past shot or encourage you to take some new ones.
Each theme (and the resulting entries) you try gets you more motivated to see things differently, compare and compose scenes and subjects. Some themes involve more camera technique, some are subject-based, others are abstract concepts or use compositional elements as the challenge.
When you enter, think of it as a learning process, not a competition. Someone will win and you'll be able to judge for yourself the merits of the top photos and get some idea of what it takes. But by entering, you will naturally study each entry in a different way. Not just 'browsing photos', but by a much more clear, precise and direct standard; The theme.
This critical quality and the lessons you take from it, will make all your work better. And, eventually, you'll win one!
Good luck,
Ron
Thanks rbefly, I'll try one soon.

02-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Kreuzn, dansamy and ausmoose, PhotoLady has got you well hooked up, I'll just add 'Try It!' to the suggestions.
Some of the Weekly and Monthly contests allow you to enter older photos, check the rules for each one you enter. If, for example, the weeks' theme is 'Shadows' it might spark a memory of an applicable past shot or encourage you to take some new ones.
Each theme (and the resulting entries) you try gets you more motivated to see things differently, compare and compose scenes and subjects. Some themes involve more camera technique, some are subject-based, others are abstract concepts or use compositional elements as the challenge.
When you enter, think of it as a learning process, not a competition. Someone will win and you'll be able to judge for yourself the merits of the top photos and get some idea of what it takes. But by entering, you will naturally study each entry in a different way. Not just 'browsing photos', but by a much more clear, precise and direct standard; The theme.
This critical quality and the lessons you take from it, will make all your work better. And, eventually, you'll win one!
Good luck,
Ron
Thanks for the tips & inspiration
These questions I've posted & everyone's responses has reminded me why I like subject specific forums - everyone keen to help like minded people, who are also friendly! I've havent been a forum member of anything for years
02-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
They really are fun to play in and has been said, they teach you too. We have people from all walks of life, retires, working people and different countries. We all have times we can't get that one a day photo so not shooting one day, doesn't count against you.

Here's one of mine from the January challenge where I shot with a Sigma 70-300mm. A rather heavy lens, but my favorite zoom.
Very pretty