Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #1

Utilising challenges

Over the past year as I've made my way back into the photography world, I've noticed lots of references to daily and weekly photo challenges. I think these are a good idea and wouldn't mind having a go.
Any recommendations? i.e is there a one you've signed up to that's a must do, or did you just go it alone and figure out your own challenge?

02-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Oooh! I'd like to know about this too! I think some beginners challenges would be nice too. Basic, simple ones for beginners.
02-03-2014, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Oooh! I'd like to know about this too! I think some beginners challenges would be nice too. Basic, simple ones for beginners.
I agree. I'd like to know more about challenges too (now to find someone who actually knows about them )
02-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's page Adam! Surely, he can at least point us in the right direction.

02-04-2014, 01:16 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You all might want to start with the Photo of the week thread, Just post what ever you've taken during the week. For more daunting challenge there is the Single in monthly challenges. In this challenge you use one lens, for a whole month, taking at least one photo and post that one in the day thread. Here is a link to the starting thread and instructions for the Single in challenge:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/24...ry-2014-a.html

Of course there are others that you might be interested in also. The Weekly Challenge.

And of course the P52 challenges as well are interesting and test your photographic skills. Each week the moderator will give you a subject to photograph, and you post in there. This one is over with for this week, but there will be another posted shortly.

Hope this helps!
02-04-2014, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You all might want to start with the Photo of the week thread, Just post what ever you've taken during the week. For more daunting challenge there is the Single in monthly challenges. In this challenge you use one lens, for a whole month, taking at least one photo and post that one in the day thread. Here is a link to the starting thread and instructions for the Single in challenge:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/24...ry-2014-a.html

Of course there are others that you might be interested in also. The Weekly Challenge.

And of course the P52 challenges as well are interesting and test your photographic skills. Each week the moderator will give you a subject to photograph, and you post in there. This one is over with for this week, but there will be another posted shortly.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice. The photo a day seems a little daunting - I don't usually have time for that and would probably forget. Thanks for the ideas though
02-04-2014, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Single in" is probably one of the most interesting challenges and it makes you think. Nobody will beat you for not shooting everyday but it's fun, interesting and after a week or so often really frustrating and you end up with genius shots mixed up with brutal snaps.
02-04-2014, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Thanks for the advice. The photo a day seems a little daunting - I don't usually have time for that and would probably forget. Thanks for the ideas though
I did not think I would always have time but I did it anyway. I ended up with a lot of great* photos that would not have been taken if I wasn't in the challenge. I learned a lot about the lens I used, and tried some new techniques. The last lens I used was a Pentax-M 120mm f2.8. By the middle of the month, I could have aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focus almost perfect before I even looked through the viewfinder. I knew how everything would look at 120mm. Before the month began, I wasn't sure I could do it, but others have used less friendly lenses and done fine.

Others in the challenge will have better skills, equipment, weather, subjects, processing, experience or whatever. That should be inspiration, not drag you down. They will offer help if you ask. The Singles challenge is challenging you, not you vs. the other participants.

*Great for me, anyway. One example:

02-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I did not think I would always have time but I did it anyway. I ended up with a lot of great* photos that would not have been taken if I wasn't in the challenge. I learned a lot about the lens I used, and tried some new techniques. The last lens I used was a Pentax-M 120mm f2.8. By the middle of the month, I could have aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focus almost perfect before I even looked through the viewfinder. I knew how everything would look at 120mm. Before the month began, I wasn't sure I could do it, but others have used less friendly lenses and done fine.

Others in the challenge will have better skills, equipment, weather, subjects, processing, experience or whatever. That should be inspiration, not drag you down. They will offer help if you ask. The Singles challenge is challenging you, not you vs. the other participants.

*Great for me, anyway. One example:

Nice photo! Thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll look into the photo a day challenge in March..
02-04-2014, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

They really are fun to play in and has been said, they teach you too. We have people from all walks of life, retires, working people and different countries. We all have times we can't get that one a day photo so not shooting one day, doesn't count against you.

Here's one of mine from the January challenge where I shot with a Sigma 70-300mm. A rather heavy lens, but my favorite zoom.

02-04-2014, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Can anyone start a new challenge? I think a beginner's challenge could hold value for people who are early in their photographic journey.
02-04-2014, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Sure; Here are the rules for Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories
02-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, cool! Thanks for that.
02-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

You're welcome! Just don't start one that might be a reflection of another challenge already posted. i did that with my Show me your Insects, but the other thread hadn't gotten much action in it, so I kept mine in there and it's grown quite a bit from the first day.
02-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Jump In!

Hello Kreuzn, dansamy and ausmoose, PhotoLady has got you well hooked up, I'll just add 'Try It!' to the suggestions.
Some of the Weekly and Monthly contests allow you to enter older photos, check the rules for each one you enter. If, for example, the weeks' theme is 'Shadows' it might spark a memory of an applicable past shot or encourage you to take some new ones.
Each theme (and the resulting entries) you try gets you more motivated to see things differently, compare and compose scenes and subjects. Some themes involve more camera technique, some are subject-based, others are abstract concepts or use compositional elements as the challenge.
When you enter, think of it as a learning process, not a competition. Someone will win and you'll be able to judge for yourself the merits of the top photos and get some idea of what it takes. But by entering, you will naturally study each entry in a different way. Not just 'browsing photos', but by a much more clear, precise and direct standard; The theme.
This critical quality and the lessons you take from it, will make all your work better. And, eventually, you'll win one!
Good luck,
Ron