Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's the Metz 40MZ:

www.flickr.com/photos/bjoern-f/5279904702/

Some have an AF-assist light and a second reflector, they're annoying if you want to bounce behind yourself, though.
If you're using different camera brands, the SCA-system comes in handy*.

Features depend on the adapter, none of the digital TTL-successors are supported but the rest usually works.

Last edited by Boris_Akunin; 02-05-2014 at 10:31 AM.
02-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suggest that you get a flash with an Auto mode.

Auto is useful for family gathering and quick indoor snaps, where subjects will be constantly moving and will not be bothered with test shots.

Then, when you have the luxury of time, switch from Auto to Manual I'm using a Metz 58 AFII. The auto mode is actually better than the PTTL from my experience.
02-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I suggest that you get a flash with an Auto mode.

Auto is useful for family gathering and quick indoor snaps, where subjects will be constantly moving and will not be bothered with test shots.

Then, when you have the luxury of time, switch from Auto to Manual I'm using a Metz 58 AFII. The auto mode is actually better than the PTTL from my experience.

Sure, but I'm not aware of any decent flashes that support P-TTL or auto flashes (not vintage thyristor auto models) for under $300-$400. I'm talking new and available at Adorama or B&H to use the gift card. That's a bit of an investment more than throwing a couple $25 and $35 gift cards toward. I think learning manual flash helps better understand and influence how the auto flash functions are working with the camera. There's no ability to repeat with auto as you generally have no idea what the output the flash is using.

I have an AF280T I received in a package with an LX. I should try it on auto mode on my K-5 and see what happens.

Last edited by jtkratzer; 02-05-2014 at 07:52 AM.
02-05-2014, 08:08 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Inactive Account

Do you have a sling strap or a wrist strap? I have both and they are really awesome to use depending on the situation, much better than the neck strap.

02-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Do you have a sling strap or a wrist strap? I have both and they are really awesome to use depending on the situation, much better than the neck strap.

Any specific recommendations? I'm in the market for both of those as well.
02-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No. Any suggestions?
02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #37
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

No, any suggestions?

02-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
No. Any suggestions?
I have the pentax wrist strap and it is nice and would recommend. I have the Sunsniper sling and it is nice (black rapid is also popular) but I have seen others out that fix my biggest complaint about the sunsniper and black rapid. My problem with them is that they have a big grommet at the bottom so you can't set the camera down on a flat surface or mount it on a tripod. The pentax wrist strap has this where it has a flat bottom and an extra tripod mount and there are slings with that feature on the market now, maybe someone else knows which one it is.
02-07-2014, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From Adorama, I ordered a cleaning kit, lenspen and another 16GB class 10 SD card. (All my old ones are class 4.)
02-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Joby makes a good sling strap. I have a pair of Lens Loops, but I got in on the Kickstarter. They're nice. Slings are the way to go - much more secure and comfortable than a shoulder or neck strap.
02-07-2014, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I will pony up some dough
Is this a horse back pizza delivery service your offering?

Some strange terminology going on these parts around here.