Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 vs K-50 ? Help

Hey everyone i have been looking at different Pentax cameras for a while and i was looking at the K-50,Its a great camera but then i saw the K-3 i know its more advanced but like i said in a earlier thread (Learn From Advanced things)i will learn using it and learn from it.

So what do yous think the K-3 or K-50 ?

Thanks again everyone,Yous have been so much help with everything

Last edited by KRaZiGLiTcH; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Edit : Added (Learn From Advanced things)
02-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KRaZiGLiTcH Quote
Hey everyone i have been looking at different Pentax cameras for a while and i was looking at the K-50,Its a great camera but then i saw the K-3 i know its more advanced but like i said in a earlier thread (Learn From Advanced things)i will learn using it and learn from it.

So what do yous think the K-3 or K-50 ?

Thanks again everyone,Yous have been so much help with everything
Well, you said it. The K-3 is significantly better than the K-50. I haven't used either of them, but the K-3 replaced the K-5 series. Meaning it is the current flagship; the "Professional" model if you will.

It really boils down to how much money you want to spend, and how long you will be using it, and how far you are willing to develop your skills.
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone here could give you reasons as to why you should buy one over the other, in the end it should boil down to which one suits your needs the best. Obviously the K-3 is a better camera, but what will you be using the camera for?

also, you should check out the comparison here Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-500 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com If you havent done so already.

The biggest difference is the AF system in each camera and the sensor they use.
02-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Think about the lenses you want, the K-3 is the better camera but a K-50 with a few good lenses will be much more useful than a K-3 with the kit lens...
The K-50 with the DA18-55WR, DA35/2.4, DA50/1.8 & DA55-300WR would make a good starter-set.

regards
Jan

02-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Instead of the k-3, how about a k-5ii/s at half the price? Spend the rest on a REALLY good lens!
02-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Instead of the k-3, how about a k-5ii/s at half the price? Spend the rest on a REALLY good lens!
I agree. Honestly, the K-5II/s isn't as good of a camera, but it doesn't really matter. You can typically achieve better results with a cheap(er) camera and really good glass than a really expensive camera and cheap glass.

But really though it boils down to budget. How much are you looking to spend?
02-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Bcrary3 I do want to develop my skills alot and become a much better Photographer. Also I'm willing to spend like maybe $1500AU or more if needed

j2photos What i will be using the camera for is Landscapes,Macro & Night and most likely more,Also thanks for that comparison ^_^.

Boris_Akunin I am looking at the K-50 With 18-135mm and a Prime 50mm F/1.8

dansamy Thanks i will look at that too.

Also all the prices i am looking at are Australian

Thanks for so much help and that was fast haha.

02-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You can also check for an open box k-30 from Amazon. I think they run about $350.
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the K-30 (older version of the K-50) a couple months back and am loving it. Read some reviews, and some comparisons. I did (and 'some' was hardly describing what I did) and I decided I was fine with the negatives of the K-30, and it was enough for me - it still gives you a heap of flexibility. If you get a cheaper camera, you can afford to buy some better lenses, and in the end will most likely end up with better photos. But it's entirely up to you - if you don't care about how much money you spend, then get the K-3 and whichever lenses you want - but I would probably get the K-50 (or even K-30 which is cheaper) or K-5IIs.
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You can also check for an open box k-30 from Amazon. I think they run about $350.
I'm just looking for brand new camera but i don't mind used lenses thanks.
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Bcrary3 I do want to develop my skills alot and become a much better Photographer. Also I'm willing to spend like maybe $1500AU or more if needed

j2photos What i will be using the camera for is Landscapes,Macro & Night and most likely more,Also thanks for that comparison ^_^.

If you are looking at those two lenses B&H is running a promo where you get the 50 1.8 and a 32GB SD card for free with the k-3, so you could but it with the 18-135 as the kit lens. The K-3 may be more camera than you will truly use but it is hard to believe it will disappoint you.
02-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What type of photography are you most interested in?
02-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
What type of photography are you most interested in?
Landscapes,Macro & Night and probably more as i want to expand more of what i want to take ^_^ also sorry for so many questions as when i buy my camera i maybe wont upgrade for a while so that's why i am being cautious.

j2photos Thanks for that i will look into it but i am trying to just buy from Australia.
02-04-2014, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

if you want to do macro shots it may benefit you to buy the lesser expensive camera and snag a macro lens as well.
02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Landscapes,Macro & Night and probably more as i want to expand more of what i want to take ^_^ also sorry for so many questions as when i buy my camera i maybe wont upgrade for a while so that's why i am being cautious.

j2photos Thanks for that i will look into it but i am trying to just buy from Australia.
It's harder to buy from Australia - my problem was finding a decently priced camera and a nearish store. Definitely don't trust any of those online sites that seem to cheap!

I agree with j2photos - a good landscape lens and a good macro lens can cost a lot so you might want to save some money.

Whichever option you go with, you'll definitely be happy with your camera, so don't think the K-50 isn't a good camera - it's great, just the K-3 is better.