Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

Question about returning new very slightly damaged items

I bought a new camera online and it finally arrived. The first thing I noticed was that the pakaging (not the outter packaging for post - the inner packag like you would find in the store) was slightly damaged, a couple a scratches/dents. I then started looking at/inpecting my camera. On the bottom there is a mechanism which you lift up and twist to open the battery cover, well this looks damaged. It is a very small area, but about half of it looks like it has been scratched to me. I have shown it to two other people - one said just don't worry about it get out there and have fun with your new toy. The other said that it looks like something that happened during manufacture and also not it worry about it. The rest of the camera looks fine.

I am considering returning it - because in my mind it has arrived in less then *perfect* condition. Do people return items for these minor cosmtic issues?Or are these kind of things just accepted? I feel like if I wanted a damaged item I would have bought second hand. Also I feel like if i want to sell this at some point to upgrade - then the damaged box and damaged to the bottom has already caused it to be not in mint condition.

Hope you can help.

02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If someone else bought it and returned it, maybe there was a reason besides they just didn't want it? Anything you buy new should look f'ing *new*. Exchange it for something NEW NEW.
02-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what camera model you bought - it would have been interesting to hear. Probably doesn't matter that much, though.

You can use it a little and still return it, right?

If it works well, and you're happy with how it works and the photos you get, keep it. If you return it, you may just get another one with a different, but more bothersome defect.

On the other hand, if you're not happy with how it works, then definitely return it.
02-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
vonBaloney- hmm that is pretty much how I feel. But the people I showed it to basically laughed and said I was 'insane' for caring about such small things

DSims- it is a Pentax K-5 IIs. I haven't actually used it as I am waiting for the arrival of a lens- I bought it seperately. So I have no idea if it works - I guess I should have a play with it. I did think about the case where I return it and just get another one with a new problem.

I guess I am just wondering if this is a silly concern.........

02-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Or if people actually return cameras for this kind of thing.....
02-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indy78 Quote
Or if people actually return cameras for this kind of thing.....
I used to be a person who would, but sometimes ended up regretting it. So my rule now is if I really like it, except for some small detail, I keep it. With some products the sample variation is enough that I may not be as happy with the replacement (and this has happened to me a number of times).

In other words I'm picky, but I'm learning not to be too picky anymore.
02-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As stated above, if it's purely cosmetic and the camera functions 100% to your liking, I'd keep it. Otherwise return it for a replacement. Life is easier when we don't sweat the small stuff. Actually, I think it was George Carlin who said it best "Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things".

Last edited by Matt Miller; 02-06-2014 at 01:55 AM.
02-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

VERY *minor* cosmetic issues, I'll overlook.
02-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Buying something new that obviously wasn't actually new (that looked like someone had handled it post-factory boxing) would drive me insane forever -- now if it breaks in a year I'd be thinking "Aggh...knew I should have returned it!". Whereas if it looked perfect and it broke I'd just say, "Oh well, things break." Plus it is just WRONG -- where has this camera been and why isn't it new? (Dealers are not supposed to re-sell returns, so it should never ever happen.)

Now, if it looked like a cosmetic manufacturing defect, that would be less disturbing in that I wouldn't feel like someone is trying to screw me, but still -- why would I want a damaged camera that I paid new money for? Especially something that will probably affect the resell value later.

Either scenario I'd exchange in a heartbeat. It would go straight back in the box and I wouldn't even try out the whole camera so I wouldn't know whether it worked perfectly otherwise or not...
02-07-2014, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I couldn't stand it anymore so took it to a local store and they replaced it right away. I suspect someone had handled/used it. I also felt that if I wanted to resell in the future, it had already lost its mint condition. What pushed me to make my final decision was that if I wanted something second hand I would have bought something second hand on ebay
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Indy78 Quote
Thanks for all the input. I couldn't stand it anymore so took it to a local store and they replaced it right away. I suspect someone had handled/used it. I also felt that if I wanted to resell in the future, it had already lost its mint condition. What pushed me to make my final decision was that if I wanted something second hand I would have bought something second hand on ebay
And gotten the price for a secondhand one. If I pay the new price, I want the new product!
02-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you did the right thing. If I buy something new I want something new. That's like buying a new car that they drive over from Kansas City so when I get it there's 260 miles on the ODO. Nope - I want 12.

However, as I've gotten older I've accepted that no matter how careful I am I'm going to scratch or mark every single brand new thing I buy within a month. It isn't that I'm careless or hard on my gear, but I use it. I just use it. Somehow my wife can keep that 'new car' smell forever - I just can't do it. I kind of overlook little things and I no longer worry about every last dollar of resale.

I just sold a used Q body for $75 that I had made a tiny mark on one of the strap lugs. Buyer's happy; I'm happy (whereas before I'd have been sick about it for a week) and bought a CLA'ed perfect operating condition but really brassy black Spotmatic for -- $75. I used to hunt for the EX+ cosmetic stuff and baby it and I was always afraid to use it. In some ways I'm actually having more fun with the Spottie than the K3.
02-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #13

Original Poster
exactly dansamy! monochrome yes damage is inevitable eventually I guess but at last I know that I caused it while enjoying my camera. Not come other person.
Thanks again
02-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a Da*300 that weirdly packaged (even worse than Pentax usual way) and had loads of dust on it. Luckily it lead me to further investigation and I also noticed fingerprints. But the worst things were a dirty outline around the front element and a permanent mark on the nearly unreachable rear element.

Somebody must have handled it and tried to cover his or her tracks. Do I have to say that I got a replacement without a question?