Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

SMC Takumar 28mm question

So with limitless joy another tax season has come and every year I dedicate a small bit of my return to picking up some new equipment. I have really been eyeballing the SMC Takumar 28/3.5 for the last few months and am pretty certain that's what I'm going to get. My main concern is whether or not I'm going to have to "perform surgery" on this lens as I did on my Helios 44 for the Aperture diaphragm. Since I'm going to be using an m42 adapter on my Pentax K-x body am I looking at the same process or should everything just work out fine? I appreciate any info and look forward to posting some pics pretty soon.

02-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camwill87 Quote
So with limitless joy another tax season has come and every year I dedicate a small bit of my return to picking up some new equipment. I have really been eyeballing the SMC Takumar 28/3.5 for the last few months and am pretty certain that's what I'm going to get. My main concern is whether or not I'm going to have to "perform surgery" on this lens as I did on my Helios 44 for the Aperture diaphragm. Since I'm going to be using an m42 adapter on my Pentax K-x body am I looking at the same process or should everything just work out fine? I appreciate any info and look forward to posting some pics pretty soon.
You shouldn't need to modify the lens, since it has a diaphragm clutch that you can just set to manual.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The SMC Takumars all have an A/M switch, no need for any modifications. The A/M switch also makes it easy to focus with an open aperture.

One thing to be aware of, SMC Taks have a lock that prevents you from switching out of Auto when a pin is not depressed. This was to prevent damage to Open Aperture metering Spotmatics.

(Small pin on the left, Aperuture pin at top.)
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The SMC Takumars all have an A/M switch, no need for any modifications. The A/M switch also makes it easy to focus with an open aperture.

One thing to be aware of, SMC Taks have a lock that prevents you from switching out of Auto when a pin is not depressed. This was to prevent damage to Open Aperture metering Spotmatics.

(Small pin on the left, Aperuture pin at top.)
looking at the bottom of the lens I am guessing you're referring to the very small pin surrounded by the brass bushing? I'm just wondering if the m42 adapter won't depress the pin so long as the adapter is attached to the lens.

02-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

looking at the bottom of the lens I am guessing you're referring to the very small pin surrounded by the brass bushing? I'm just wondering if the m42 adapter won't depress the pin so long as the adapter is attached to the lens.
Oh, the pin is depressed when the lens is on the camera, but you often see people who don't know about the pin think the lens is damaged or not working because they can't move the A/M switch when it is not mounted.

I also forgot to mention how to use the A/M switch to focus with an open aperture. You star out with the switch on auto, focus and set aperture, then switch to manual and the lens stops down. Much easier than trying to focus in a darkened viewfinder.
02-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Oh, the pin is depressed when the lens is on the camera, but you often see people who don't know about the pin think the lens is damaged or not working because they can't move the A/M switch when it is not mounted.

I also forgot to mention how to use the A/M switch to focus with an open aperture. You star out with the switch on auto, focus and set aperture, then switch to manual and the lens stops down. Much easier than trying to focus in a darkened viewfinder.
Ok, now I understand what you were saying. That'll be a pretty cool feature considering the two lenses I usually shoot with present just that problem. It gets pretty tricky to focus at f8-11 once it gets a little dusky outside.
02-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For street shooting the fastest way to use a wider angle takumar screw mount lens (I use for the 28 and 24mm) is:
-- aperture priority mode (and center weighted, not spot)
-- lens to the desired f stop,
-- lens in manual (A/M switch to M) and
-- lens distance set to the hyperfocal distance (e.g., about 10 feet at f/11 on 1.5 crop sensor--so 5 ft to infinity is generally in satisfactory focus].

02-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, now I understand what you were saying. That'll be a pretty cool feature considering the two lenses I usually shoot with present just that problem. It gets pretty tricky to focus at f8-11 once it gets a little dusky outside.
I always focus first (wide open) and next adjust aperture to need and do the metering. I only recently have restarted using my m42 glass though and will try the mentioned technique.