Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tight M42 adapter

Evenin. I just had a third-party M42 adapter arrive today, and it's really really tight to mount to the camera (*ist D). I mean, so stiff I'm afraid something will break or I won't be able to get it back out. I haven't even manged to get it in all the way (owing to fear :P). It seems to want to pop out from being flush so I expect it's just a lot of tension on that particular vertical surface, but is it safe to just brute-force it in with the presumption that if it went in, it should come out (albeit with much effort)? Is this a common problem with cheap China adapters? I know a *ist isn't a particularly amazing or expensive camera but it's the only one I have and I don't want anything to bust. :P

Thanks!

02-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the M42 adapters I have ever used slide on like a normal lens would. I would not force it if it were my equipment.
02-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The original at least should be on the loose side.
02-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by YQG Quote
I expect it's just a lot of tension on that particular vertical surface, but is it safe to just brute-force it in with the presumption that if it went in, it should come out (albeit with much effort)? Is this a common problem with cheap China adapters? I know a *ist isn't a particularly amazing or expensive camera but it's the only one I have and I don't want anything to bust. :P
I definitely wouldn't brute force it. Is there anything it could be hanging up on?

02-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it depends on the type of the adapter. the third party ones which mount on the outside of the camera (not just internally on the mount - i hope i am clear) tend to be pretty tight. I have one which once mounted it can only be removed if you attach a lens to it. I also have another one which regardless of how I try I cannot get it to mount to the camera as it is too tight. i would not force anything!!!
02-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evenin. I just had a third-party M42 adapter arrive today, and it's really really tight to mount to the camera (*ist D). I mean, so stiff I'm afraid something will break or I won't be able to get it back out. I haven't even manged to get it in all the way (owing to fear :P). It seems to want to pop out from being flush so I expect it's just a lot of tension on that particular vertical surface, but is it safe to just brute-force it in with the presumption that if it went in, it should come out (albeit with much effort)? Is this a common problem with cheap China adapters? I know a *ist isn't a particularly amazing or expensive camera but it's the only one I have and I don't want anything to bust. :P

Thanks!
I did purchase only one from China ( with infinity focusing, locking spring and removing tool) , took me a while to file it down so it would nicely fit.
I also had to shorten the spring screw, it was preventing M42 lenses from fully screwing in.
Then I purchased original Pentax ( one new + one used) , no problems at all.
Pentax K to M42 - a set on Flickr
Marumi was also OK, although a bit hard to remove, you need to use supplied tool .
Sold it when I purchased the real Pentax.
02-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I also had to shorten the spring screw, it was preventing M42 lenses from fully screwing in.
This appears to be a common problem and could possibly be one reason that the adapter is "tight".

02-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #8
YQG
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. It is an internal one, I have an external which pops on no problem. Lenses go onto the adapter and mount centrally no problem either; I removed the spring clip and eased it in. It's just very tight, no wonder it comes with a removal tool. =) So nothing broken, nothing damaged, it gets easier to put in/take out each go-round. Yes, there was a little risk doing that but since it never got fully seized I figured it was safe to just keep working it til it it got to its final position. =)

It seems to focus a little past infinity (just like my Series 1 K-mount zoom) but I think that can be sorted with a bit of position adjustment between the lens and adapter.

Now to go out tomorrow and blast out some test shots.

Thankyou all!
02-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
My sincere suggestion would be, if you're going to use the adapter for a long time, just invest more in the genuine adapter. It will last forever.
02-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

it gets easier to put in/take out each go-round.
Not good. With each use you are shaving metal off of either the adapter or the mount of your camera. The shards are falling into the innards of your camera. I know this from experience. The adapter should fit somewhat loose in the mount when no lens is attached.

Steve