Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
DIY intervalometer

Have any of you tried a DIY intervalometer? I'm trying to make one but the problem is it's not working, I'm not sure if it is because I didn't solder it or its with the IR LEDs I'm using or with the jack. I tried to buy a cheap earphones and used it. Regarding with IR LEDs I tried to use the ones in the old remote control (tried to recycle them ). Any tips on making DIY intervalometer? Thanks in advance!

02-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dizon_dx Quote
Have any of you tried a DIY intervalometer? I'm trying to make one but the problem is it's not working, I'm not sure if it is because I didn't solder it or its with the IR LEDs I'm using or with the jack. I tried to buy a cheap earphones and used it. Regarding with IR LEDs I tried to use the ones in the old remote control (tried to recycle them ). Any tips on making DIY intervalometer? Thanks in advance!
What kinda circuit? If you are using the wired connection. then what is the purpose of the IR led`s.
Post a schematic so we can have a look at what you have so far.
BTW sounds like a fun project.

edit: you do realize that it is cheaper to buy one than to build one.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-08-2014 at 07:12 AM.
02-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #3

Have built something similar. A kind of flash slave that triggers with a custom delay after a flash. It can connect to flashes and the camera as well. For triggering the camera and recent flashes I used an optocoupler and connected via the jack. IR Code is somewhere here on the forum, but didn't try that yet.

As IC I use the AVRs from Atmel. You will need some buttons or potis and set the program to adjust capturing offsets and number of photos to take according to the input. When you already have programming experience it is simple. Elsewise I can help if you got specific questions.

You could also build an analog circuit without programming. But that requires even more knowledge about electronics...
02-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you need a project, this may fit the bill AI-1 ("All-in-one") Remote

02-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a simple arduino controller.
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/RS_DIY_PMCa...rvalometer.pdf

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 12:58 PM ----------

I prefer something that is already fabricated.
Your DIY, while it can be fun to build, could cost 2 or more times as much as something like this.
Amazon.com: Aputure Timer Camera Remote Control Shutter Cable 1C, for Canon EOS Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, T1, T1i, T2i, T3, T3i, T4i, T5i, SL1, D60, D70, Powershot G10, G11, G12, G1X, Replaces Canon RS 60-E3: Camera & Photo
02-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Here is a simple arduino controller.
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/RS_DIY_PMCa...rvalometer.pdf

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 12:58 PM ----------

I prefer something that is already fabricated.
Your DIY, while it can be fun to build, could cost 2 or more times as much as something like this.
Amazon.com: Aputure Timer Camera Remote Control Shutter Cable 1C, for Canon EOS Rebel XT, XTi, XSi, T1, T1i, T2i, T3, T3i, T4i, T5i, SL1, D60, D70, Powershot G10, G11, G12, G1X, Replaces Canon RS 60-E3: Camera & Photo
The part cost of a DIY can be way lower than that. You could build an intervalometer for less than 10 bucks, a bit more with a display. An Arduino makes life easier but it's also some kind of overkill for this simple system and is also the main cost factor. However its definitely good for testing new circuits.
02-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
The part cost of a DIY can be way lower than that. You could build an intervalometer for less than 10 bucks, a bit more with a display. An Arduino makes life easier but it's also some kind of overkill for this simple system and is also the main cost factor. However its definitely good for testing new circuits.
True.
The cost depends on desired functionality and ease of operation. The old saying about "you get what you pay for" goes here too.
Unless of course, you are able to reuse most of the parts from other things/projects.