Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's another opinion: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/154373-pentax-k-5-e...ocus-test.html
Note that Color Foto and FNAC Labs focus tests (where Pentax also does well) include number of hits. The Imaging Resource test seems to just rely on the camera saying it's in focus. The AF symbol and beep are not reliable indicators of accurate focus.

It takes longer for image stabilization to activate than it does to auto-focus, so I guess 1/20s simply doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-04-2014 at 10:09 AM.
04-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's been true for a while the Pentax has designed their AF for accuracy over speed. Now they're trying to bring their speed up.

The lens matters a lot for AF-C performance as well - especially if the subject is running, skiing, or otherwise moving rapidly toward the camera. This is very noticeable on the K-5 IIs, K-5, and previous bodies. I haven't had a chance to use the K-3 in that scenario, but naturally a lens that can focus faster should also re-focus faster, even though better prediction (by the camera) of subject movement can obviously smooth out and speed up this re-focusing (which might help average or slow focusing lenses as well) - potentially to the point were a fast-focusing lens is always nearly in focus.

Last edited by DSims; 04-04-2014 at 12:05 PM.
04-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #78
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think it's been true for a while the Pentax has designed their AF for accuracy over speed. Now they're trying to bring their speed up.

The lens matters a lot for AF-C performance as well - especially if the subject is running, skiing, or otherwise moving rapidly toward the camera. This is very noticeable on the K-5 IIs, K-5, and previous bodies. I haven't had a chance to use the K-3 in that scenario, but naturally a lens that can focus faster should also re-focus faster, even though better prediction (by the camera) of subject movement can obviously smooth out and speed up this re-focusing (which might help average or slow focusing lenses as well) - potentially to the point were a fast-focusing lens is always nearly in focus.
I went to Canon from Pentax because of the AF on the Canon 1DIII, a fabulous camera. But came back because of the lower weight of Pentax and the new K3. The K3 working with the Pentax F*300/4.5 give ms a quick (although noisy) AF. In fact, for BIF, I prefer the Pentax combo than the 7D with the Canon 400/5.6. I think Pentax is really maintaining the quality of the colors, tones and image, and improving the AF.
04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I went to Canon from Pentax because of the AF on the Canon 1DIII, a fabulous camera. But came back because of the lower weight of Pentax and the new K3. The K3 working with the Pentax F*300/4.5 give ms a quick (although noisy) AF. In fact, for BIF, I prefer the Pentax combo than the 7D with the Canon 400/5.6. I think Pentax is really maintaining the quality of the colors, tones and image, and improving the AF.
I never went to Canon, but I also use the noisy F*300/4.5 (on the K-5 IIs) and I have to agree that Pentax hold advantages in IQ that few people recognize. The K-5 II/IIs bring the AF performance of this lens up to a good standard (the K-3 is even better) while as you say, the colors, tones, and more-3D images surpass much (or perhaps most) of the competition.

04-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The Imaging Resource test seems to just rely on the camera saying it's in focus. The AF symbol and beep are not reliable indicators of accurate focus.
Hi, I am not referring to the AF speed part of imaging resources test (which I agree does not give a full picture as its only one component of the real AF lag). The part I am referring from that website is more the "Prefocused lag", i.e. you first acquire focus, then you are waiting for something to happen (for example a face that is looking back to tunraround), and then the moment you perceive it in the viewfinder, you'll press the shutter button, and then there is a slight lag between the moment of pressing the button, and the shutter actually moving and taking the shot

Anyway as you mention the 1/20 s pre-focused lag difference will not matter to everyone, only for certain shooting style, but this lag (along with viewfinder blackout lag) is usually one of the features distinguishing performance oriented model and normal model (e.g. difference between 7D/70D and 700D, or nikon D7100 vs D3xxxx), and interestingly, actually an area modern mirrorless camera and performance compact sometimes outdo the DSLR (as they have no mirror to move, they can have a lag at the level of 10 -20 ms, though in return they have the EVF/LCD lag which adds around 30 ms, but its still very fast).

It's something pentax could improve for the next generation models.. but again look at all the goodies we have on Pentax - complete feature set, the great build/compact size, the great color rendering, the great image quality, and best of the class dynamic range (and far away from canon APS sensors in this regard), it's hard to not like it (and yes AF is getting better and better with each new model)

I think i'll always keep at least one pentax DSLR due to those aspect of pentax

Last edited by cjsong79; 04-04-2014 at 05:03 PM.
04-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PixelGeek Quote

I shot about 360 photos yesterday

220 were of the dancing

I only shot one team which danced twice for about 5 minutes each round

All were shot with a flash
I have no advice, other than what Steve already suggested: get a camera that works for you.

What I do have is a question: Is all that I quoted above true? You were standing just a few meters from the dancers and firing off a flash every two seconds for their entire performance? I'm surprised that was allowed!