Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #1

Pentax ME Super Shutter Won't Fire

Hello guys,tried to search my problem but didn't find the one related to my problem.
My dad gave me his old Pentax Me Super and I only started to finish 1 roll of film.After I wind the film and unloaded it from the camera,i tried to advanced the lever but when I pressed the shutter release button,the shutter won't fire.
I still can keep advancing the lever but the shutter just won't fire.Currently it appears that the mirror is down,first shutter curtain is closed but the second certain stayed open. I wonder if this problem can be repaired easily or just a matter or doing some tricks.

Thanks.

02-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Forgive me if this seems like an obvious and silly question, but you did check the battery right?

ME Super, unlike the fully manual MX, has an electronic shutter and it won't fire if the battery is dead.
02-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
The battery was just new.The metering led blinks.Tried it on the mechanical mode 125x didn't work too.
02-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have one like that. There is something wrong in the cocking mechanism. It acts as though the rewind button is pressed. I binned mine as they are cheaper to replace than repair. I got mine with lenses and a Halliburton so I still came out ahead on the deal.

02-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I have one like that. There is something wrong in the cocking mechanism. It acts as though the rewind button is pressed.
Same here.
This is a common problem with the ME super.
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two ME Super bodies with this or similar problem. Sometimes they wind, sometimes they don't. It seems like the wind lever is not engaging the shaft completely.
Have you tried using an auto-winder such as the ME-Winder or similar? They can be had for $10 or so on the ebay. The winder engages the shaft directly without using the top lever.
A working ME Super is a sweet little camera. Add a few A lenses and you're stylin' like a pro.
02-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
So is it possible to fix it?or is it better to just buy a new one?

02-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
Recently i advanced the lever again.Now the lever is loose,it doesn't crack the mechanism.Any suggestion?thanks
02-11-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can send it to Eric Hendrickson who specializes in these Pentaxes. Do a search on this forum for details. Might cost about $100 or so.
02-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
I got the camera back to work again.Remove the bottom plate and i pushed some of the lever that was not enggaged.Now everything works fine.
Thank you everyone for you help.
02-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I have one like that. There is something wrong in the cocking mechanism. It acts as though the rewind button is pressed. I binned mine as they are cheaper to replace than repair. I got mine with lenses and a Halliburton so I still came out ahead on the deal.
I did the exact same thing when mine did that. Wish I had kept the lens.
Closed Thread