Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Image rotate

I have just bought a used K-5II and have noticed that the images are rotating slightly for each exposure. I always use a tripod and at first thought it was just me bumping the tripod but after multiple shoots it is definetly a 1-5 degree rotation, both directions. I set up multiple bracketing to check it and it is still happening. What would cause this, the shots look good otherwise and the camera seems to be functioning OK. It varies also, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.
Something may be loose inside?
Ken

02-10-2014, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have horizon leveling on?
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What happens if you take a shot severely off level? If you see a much bigger rotation of that image, @jatrax is probably on to the right answer.
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
I will have to check that, i don't remember that on my K-7. I do check my digital level on the LCD before locking it down. Thanks guys, will look into it tonight!

02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's the auto horizon correction. Turn off when using tripod.
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
It's the auto horizon correction. Turn off when using tripod.
Agreed. I use the digital level all the time (section 4 in the menus on my K5). I've never used the horizon correction which is the item just below it on the menu. You could easily have turned on the wrong one by accident.
02-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
I did not even know about it, I'm sure that's it. You guys are good you! It seems like an idiot light to me, that's why I use the electronic level all the time.

02-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Vensel Quote
I did not even know about it
There's always someone around here, whose already had the same issue and can shed a little light.
02-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There's always someone around here, whose already had the same issue and can shed a little light.
Not me - I've never done this before. I've left the white balance on some funky settings, or the camera capturing the smallest JPG files when I wanted to take important photos, but I haven't done the horizontal correction ... yet.