Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

K-30 Glitch

I have just bought a K-30 having just sold my K20d.
Initial impressions are very favourable.
The firmware the camera came with was 1.00 and looking at the Ricoh w/s there was a later version 1.05 so I did the upgrade. All went well, the upgrade was accepted.
The issue I am having is that If I take out the SDHC card to download images and put it back in the camera, sometimes the orange light down in the right corner on the back does not blink and I can't power up the K-30. The only solution I have found is to disconnect/reconnect the battery then all is well. This does not happen every time, maybe 1 in 10 times but it is irritatating.
I have not had the camera very long so I do not know if this was happening on the earlier firmware 1.00

Anyone else had this experience ?

02-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried formatting the card in camera since the issue started?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RTFM Quote
I have just bought a K-30 having just sold my K20d.
Initial impressions are very favourable.
The firmware the camera came with was 1.00 and looking at the Ricoh w/s there was a later version 1.05 so I did the upgrade. All went well, the upgrade was accepted.
The issue I am having is that If I take out the SDHC card to download images and put it back in the camera, sometimes the orange light down in the right corner on the back does not blink and I can't power up the K-30. The only solution I have found is to disconnect/reconnect the battery then all is well. This does not happen every time, maybe 1 in 10 times but it is irritatating.
I have not had the camera very long so I do not know if this was happening on the earlier firmware 1.00

Anyone else had this experience ?
Try formatting the card.
02-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
And avoid ejecting the card from the computer without unmounting it first (right-click and Eject on Windows, drag the drive to the Trash on Macs), otherwise you run the risk of leaving the filesystem in an inconsistent state.

02-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
And avoid ejecting the card from the computer without unmounting it first (right-click and Eject on Windows, drag the drive to the Trash on Macs), otherwise you run the risk of leaving the filesystem in an inconsistent state.
With a Mac, you can also select Eject K30 from the File menu.
02-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I've had the exact same problem, happens when I re-insert SD card or unplug USB cord from PC. I never "eject safely" but I make sure nothing is being written when I unplug. It's pretty annoying and makes me worry a bit when I turn the camera on and it's completely dead.

I don't know if the glitch is caused by the card filesystem being left in an inconsistent state as sometimes it comes right after a while without me needing to reinsert the battery. I'll have to see if I can get the glitch to occur after dismounting the drive before unplugging.
02-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevor2 Quote
I've had the exact same problem, happens when I re-insert SD card or unplug USB cord from PC. I never "eject safely" but I make sure nothing is being written when I unplug. It's pretty annoying and makes me worry a bit when I turn the camera on and it's completely dead.

I don't know if the glitch is caused by the card filesystem being left in an inconsistent state as sometimes it comes right after a while without me needing to reinsert the battery. I'll have to see if I can get the glitch to occur after dismounting the drive before unplugging.
Eject any external hard drive storage before disconnecting or removing. This is "turning it off" before yanking the plug.

02-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Use eject safely. Also make sure that after you've deleted photos from your cards, format the card *in the camera* that you intend to use the card in. I don't format cards for my k5ii in my k-x or vice versa. The camera formats the card & sets up the file writing system in a manner optimized to its model. Also, turn your camera off & make sure the orange "card busy" light is off before ejecting the card from the camera.
02-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trevor2 Quote

Trevor2, how often does this happen to you ? Ironically mine hasn't done it again since I started this thread.
02-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

It happens about a quarter of the time I unplug it/reinsert card. Once it did it and I couldn't get it to come right so I put the battery on the charger for a few hours and then it worked. Might have to just needed time for the capacitors to discharge and reset the circuit though.
02-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ejecting the card through your computer's operating system will ensure that any open files for reading/writing have been closed and that the file system is still intact. Also, be sure to "empty your trash" if you manually deleted your images. Emptying the trash / recycle bin will actually delete the files vs. making them invisible as if they were deleted.

I have never had problems with my SD card when I follow these best practices. Otherwise, if something is corrupted or not properly closed the camera may give you errors. Your only option at that point is format the SD card either in the camera or through your computer.