Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Blinking flash indicator in Av on K-5

When using my K-5 in Av mode the flash indicator blinks constantly unless the flash is activated. This happens even when there is sufficient light for proper exposure without flash. The camera operation does not seem to be affected in any way but it is a little distracting and doesn't seem normal.

02-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you try a menu reset?
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Menu reset didn't help but thanks for the advice.
02-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay. So normally the flash indicator blinks as a recommendation to activate the flash because the shutter speed is slow.

What shutter speeds are displayed in the viewfinder, or recommended by the camera when the flash indicator blinks?

Also what is the flash mode currently set on the camera?

Regards

Chris

02-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
After playing with the settings a little more I find that if I open the aperture all the way (3.5 on my 18-135) the flash icon stops blinking. It seems that the problem is most evident when set to auto ISO. When set to manual ISO of 400 or higher I can choose a smaller aperture without the flash icon blinking. I guess my question is, why does the icon blink when there is sufficient light for proper exposure without flash? It is recommending that I use flash when it is not really needed. The shutter and aperture combinations vary, but in each instance the shutter is within the flash sync speed (180 or below) and the corresponding aperture is f8 or larger (6.7, 5.6, 4 etc.). Maybe the camera is suggesting flash based on shutter speed vs focal length selected to prevent camera shake. Could be that the camera is smarter than I give it credit for. I'll have to explore this more tomorrow when I have better light outside.
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It will blink if the shutter speed is too slow.
02-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
It will blink if the shutter speed is too slow.
That was my thought after toying with the camera yesterday but, I think it may be tied to the auto ISO setting I was using. Its parameter is set for Standard as opposed to Fast or Slow and so the ISO doesn't increase fast enough to cause the shutter speed to rise above what the camera needs to prevent the flash recommendation. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to matter when Tv mode is used. You can increase shutter speed to the max of 30 seconds and the camera never recommends the use of flash.

02-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The logarithm that the camera uses to determine shutter speed in Av, Tv, and Auto modes may include the focal length of the lens in use. It's the whole 1/focal length rule for hand-held photography. Therefore, with a 300mm lens the flash indicator would blink at higher SS than say if you had switch to a 28mm lens. To best understand what is happening, can you supply us with the exposure (shutter speed and aperture), ISO setting and focal length.
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Problem solved! All checks were made on extremely overcast days. I wrongly assumed that auto ISO would compensate for slow shutter speeds but that is not the case. Maybe changing the ISO parameter to Fast instead of Standard would help but, as with all auto functions, sometimes you just have to take control yourself. The blinking flash indicator lets me know to check the ISO and adjust manually if I deem the selected shutter speed to be too slow for the particular subject or lens focal length in use. Thanks for all the suggestions, they prompted me to think out the problem.
12-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just ran into this also... put it on Auto-ISO by mistake, then learned from another post how to turn Auto- ISO off and on again. then it started blinking. On TAv, with my Auto-ISO range set from 200-3200, it blinks if I point the camera at something either too dark or too light for the shutter speed/aperture selected... where auto-iso can't cope... telling me to change the settings to get a decent exposure.

Will try using TAv with Auto-ISO for a few days... seems like a great feature... with RAW and Lightroom, I can easily get rid of any noise coming in over ISO 800.