Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Medium format

Does medium format like 645D show different world from Crop or FF in Landscape? I'm really consider to choose for my next generation(1st: istD, 2nd: K-5, 3rd: K-3)camera in order to take best landscape pics when I travel around.

02-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Does medium format like 645D show different world from Crop or FF in Landscape? I'm really consider to choose for my next generation(1st: istD, 2nd: K-5, 3rd: K-3)camera in order to take best landscape pics when I travel around.
Modern FF cameras like the D800 and A7r come very close to the 645D and surpass it in low light. This will probably change with the launch of the the 645D 2014, though, which will have a more current sensor.

One key point to note is that the 645D is big and nowhere near as portable or versatile as the K-3. For most users, the K-3 is already more than enough for landscapes

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "show different world." One thing that should be pointed out is the aspect ratio of each of the formats. While FF camera like the D800E comes very close to the 645D, the aspect ratio between the two are very different. Say for example you to take a group shot with a FF. Since the aspect ratio of a FF camera fits perfectly into an 8x12, you would have to trim the 8x12 down two inches. The problem is, that you would have to keep this in mind when you photographed the group. All too often people will fill the frame and then realize that they can't make the image into an 8x10 without cropping the people at the edge of the frame.
However, with the 645D, its aspect ratio fits perfectly into an 8x10 so it not only avoids the problem that can created by the aspect ratio of a FF camera, it uses 100% of it's sensor to do so. With FF camera you loosing 17% of your pixels when cropping out 2".

The other issue with aspect ratio is that some people prefer one over the other. I actually like the look that my 645D has which is less of an elongated rectangle than that of a FF camera.

Finally, the other thing that MF has over smaller formats is the ability to control the depth of field which creates a look unique to MF cameras. If you're used to an APS-C camera, you will immediately notice how much more difficult it is to get large DOF. That's because an 18mm lens has the same angle of view as a 28mm on FF or 35mm on a 645D - but as you probably know your DOF becomes shallower as you increase your focal length for any given focusing distance and f/stop combination.
02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "show different world." One thing that should be pointed out is the aspect ratio of each of the formats. While FF camera like the D800E comes very close to the 645D, the aspect ratio between the two are very different. Say for example you to take a group shot with a FF. Since the aspect ratio of a FF camera fits perfectly into an 8x12, you would have to trim the 8x12 down two inches. The problem is, that you would have to keep this in mind when you photographed the group. All too often people will fill the frame and then realize that they can't make the image into an 8x10 without cropping the people at the edge of the frame.
However, with the 645D, its aspect ratio fits perfectly into an 8x10 so it not only avoids the problem that can created by the aspect ratio of a FF camera, it uses 100% of it's sensor to do so. With FF camera you loosing 17% of your pixels when cropping out 2".

The other issue with aspect ratio is that some people prefer one over the other. I actually like the look that my 645D has which is less of an elongated rectangle than that of a FF camera.

Finally, the other thing that MF has over smaller formats is the ability to control the depth of field which creates a look unique to MF cameras. If you're used to an APS-C camera, you will immediately notice how much more difficult it is to get large DOF. That's because an 18mm lens has the same angle of view as a 28mm on FF or 35mm on a 645D - but as you probably know your DOF becomes shallower as you increase your focal length for any given focusing distance and f/stop combination.
well I should learn more and then buy 645Dii. anyway, there is no FF so medium format would be fine. Actually, taking pics for landscape with K-3 still not satisfy cause of the edge quality.

02-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If your unhappy with edge sharpness, don't blame the camera, the fault lies with your lens. You might want to consider wide angle prime lenses such as Pentax's 20mm or 21mm Limited or one Pentax's top-end zooms. To get an idea on how you current lens compares to others, there are plenty of lens reviews here. Photozone.de also has great reviews plus they show you MTF charts so you can see the difference in sharpness between the cent border and edges of the frame.