Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extended Sensitivity in Pentax K-r

Hi

I have used this feature earlier to get the sensitivity starting from (ISO100), by default it will start from ISO 200. I need to go into the settings and enable the extended sensitivity option.

I usually keep this enabled so that I always start from ISO 100 - but don't remember when this changed whether this was changed by me while fiddling with the instrument or maybe it went to defaults after I updated the firmware. Now when I go into the settings to enable the extended sensitivity it still remains at ISO 200.

I am not sure whether this activates in some particular mode only, can somebody confirm please.

thanks
Sany

02-13-2014, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have Highlight and or Shadow correction turned on...
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, highlight correction displays one ISO stop higher. This means you cannot choose ISO 100, but ISO 200 will shoot at ISO 100 and then it digitally brightens the dark parts up to "ISO 200", without clipping the highlights. This is why when highlight correction is enabled, the displayed ISO is one stop higher than the ISO actually used. The brightness will be equal to the displayed ISO, except in the highlights.

So, to get ISO 100, you must allow boosted ISO, extended sensitivity in the menu. And then you need to disable highlight correction in the Info menu, if you want to actually see "ISO 100" written on the camera.
02-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi

Thanks both, does this highlight correction affect the raw image or it is only for the jpeg and preview version? and the raw image is not affected!?
Is it advisable to disable and keep extended ISO instead?

Thanks
Sany

02-14-2014, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Extended ISO should be enabled anyway, regardless of highlight correction or not.

Highlight correction is one of those things where we don't know exactly. Some say it doesn't affect the raw files, others say it does in some way. I don't know, I generally keep it turned off, unless I am in a situation where highlights keep getting clipped
02-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, thank you for this let me switch it off for now.