Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #1

Your photo looks better in Samsung Galaxy

So I edited photos using my samsung galaxy s3 phone. it looked great in my phone. I uploaded them on my facebook.

When I checked my facebook later with my hp netbook, it looked more faded, less vibrant.

I also looked at the same photos using ipad mini retina. it looked faded too.

It looks like Galaxy's display is Too Good. (too vibrant problem)

If you are going to watch movies, you should use Galaxy ones (phone or tablet).

But if you are going to share photos, you should know not everyone is going to look at your photos using Galaxy displays.

In your eyes, it will look vibrant. In their eyes, it will look less vibrant depending on their gears.

Anyone noticed the same thing?

02-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Not too surprising, really. The Super AMOLED screens are indeed vibrant, and I would think they have done it on purpose simply because people like punchy colours. I would have thought the retina screens were quite punchy too, but I have no experience with those.

It does help somewhat to turn down the brightness on your screen, but I do agree that these screens aren't the best for photo editing.

Of course, that is a problem with any screen - you never now how your screen is adjusted compared to other people's. Even if you carefully calibrate your equipment with an X-rite or somesuch you'll never know what other people use to view your pictures.
02-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

I have Note 2 and on default settings colors are too vivid. Go to display settings and set screen mode to natural or professional photo (depends on android version) and everything will look much more realistic.
02-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great display except in the bright sun with polarized sunglasses, then it's worthless!
Anyway, yeah, this isn't a surprised. I've taken very nice images with the phone then uploaded them and they're not as nice...but I'll take what I can get.

02-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The magic of super AMOLED. Those screens sure are pretty.
02-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Print it out see how it looks thats what counts, unless image quality on mobile devices is a priority to you
02-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is why I don't edit photos on a tablet or a lap top even. Screens just aren't trustworthy.
02-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
Inactive Account

If I want a background for my phone, I usually like to take it with my phone because for some reason it is easier than trying to pick one that will work and edit it to match the phone's color. I guess I am just lazy but it can be a fun challenge.

02-18-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I want a one point to a fashion shoot training day just for the laugh , thanks god I did not pay to much, the so called expert set her white balance by eye based on what she saw on her laptop screen.
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, the saturation and contrast of the phone/tablet screens is somewhat over the top and not really acceptable for photo editing.

Steve
02-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The display can be set to one of four settings in settings>display>screenmode. They are dynamic, standard, natural and movie.The first two make the pictures look much prettier but perhaps less faithful to what they should look like. The other two give a more close to reality picture. If you are going to edit on it then best to choose one of the modes that does not 'beutify' the image.

My Samsung is a galaxy note - I'm assuming that these settings exist also on other Samsung Galaxy with AMOLED display.