Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #1

Dropped my K-30 - Damaged?

Unloading the car last night and my Lowepro bag with my K-30 in it fell onto the road. Didn't seem too hard a hit, but when I opened up to check, the lens cap had been pushed so hard in that I needed a screwdriver to force it back out again.

Luckily, always have a 52mm UV filter on the front of the lens, so it there is any scratch or damage it will be to this. But worried there may be greater damage to the camera. Kit lens feels a tiny bit wobbly - but I THINK that was the case anyway.

Pictures from the K-30 seem OK, but any technical check anyone might recommend? To be on the safe side?

02-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think if the rebound was less than a meter, you should be fine, between 1 and 2 meters, you might have a problem, more than 2 meters it 's..... Just saying

Try all your lenses in different settings and see if anything untoward happens, if there is a problem, I'm sure you'll see it soon enough...
02-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would just shoot at a test chart or other flat surface (brick wall) to see if it's still focusing properly, and see if any one side or edge has increased softness and/or back/front focus. If all seems good, I wouldn't even worry about it, although do make note of the incident so you don't forget (in case problems arise in the future, you might have a potential source of the problem to forward along to the repair person to assist them).

I once came out of the shower to find my camera (also a K30) had been knocked off the kitchen table onto hardwood floor by an unruly cat that became fascinated with the wrist strap.

After whipping the cat across the room, I tested out the camera. Autofocus was working just fine, the lens seemed just as sharp as always. Yes, cameras and lenses have lots of glass and moving parts, but they're also sturdier than they look. Maybe it's a Pentax thing.
02-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I abused my K-r pretty bad and it took it like a champ. 2 separate times it dropped from full tripod height (don't ask) and both times there was nary problem. I'm guessing if the lowly K-r is that well made you should be fine.

02-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I would just shoot at a test chart or other flat surface (brick wall) to see if it's still focusing properly, and see if any one side or edge has increased softness and/or back/front focus. If all seems good, I wouldn't even worry about it, although do make note of the incident so you don't forget (in case problems arise in the future, you might have a potential source of the problem to forward along to the repair person to assist them).

I once came out of the shower to find my camera (also a K30) had been knocked off the kitchen table onto hardwood floor by an unruly cat that became fascinated with the wrist strap.

After whipping the cat across the room, I tested out the camera. Autofocus was working just fine, the lens seemed just as sharp as always. Yes, cameras and lenses have lots of glass and moving parts, but they're also sturdier than they look. Maybe it's a Pentax thing.
Many thanks for the brick wall idea - seen it in test reviews, but never actually done myself. First pic below is with kit at 35mm. All seems fine (focus is the same at both ends). However, just seen the barreling (?) at 18mm. It is of course a cheap kit...but welcome confirmation that is quite normal for this lens!

Last edited by kentishrev; 02-24-2014 at 07:14 AM.
02-17-2014, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Emperor and Senpai

Looks like it should.
02-17-2014, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Barreling at 18mm is normal on these kit lenses.
That is one reason for the in camera lens correction feature.
I leave it off and fix in post if I need it.
02-17-2014, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

What you should do is unmount that lens and try its zooming, focusing. These mechanisms can be damaged on a fall. See if there is any resistance at certain points, or if the things get stuck. Put it close to your ear and listen for odd noises. Then take a couple photos with this lens and make sure the quality is the same all across the frame (checking for decentered elements)

The other thing to do with the camera is to see if its AF and flash work fine. And also live view, video recording and burst mode. Take a look at its lens mount, to see if its in any way bent or damaged.
Finally, check all the slot and doors (for battery, SD card,..)

With falls, it depends a lot on the surface. If it fell on grass it is very different from falling on ceramic tiles. It also depends on the angle that it fell on. In times like this, its great if the lens is plastic or has a hood mounted, as these things absorb shock better than metal, which can get bent and can even damage the camera.

Oh, and btw, for a while you will probably be very suspicious - every sound the camera makes will scare you "is it damage from the fall?" - keep a cool head. You can do tests and if something is not functioning, send it in for repairs. Maybe warranty will apply.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-17-2014 at 08:43 AM.
02-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice. I've taken the lens off and twisted. And listened. The wobble is still there, but it's tiny, and it's probably just me worrying. AF seems fine, burst mode is perfect, and the lens mount looks OK to me. I've not got another lens, so difficult to test the mount any other way. But, fingers crossed, I'll be getting a 50mm and/or a 100mm Macro very soon, so I guess I'll know more then! But it's great to know there's a group here that will talk me through my newbie worries.
02-17-2014, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Glad we could help.
When it comes to those lenses, both are great, but I suggest you get the 50mm first, because its learning curve isn't as steep as the 100mm macro (which is also an amazing lens btw, highly recommend it, but its a more specialized lens)
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Glad we could help.
When it comes to those lenses, both are great, but I suggest you get the 50mm first, because its learning curve isn't as steep as the 100mm macro (which is also an amazing lens btw, highly recommend it, but its a more specialized lens)
took your advice, and got the 50mm f1.8 today. Very pleased with my new addition. Plenty of excuses to keep taking more pictures.
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
took your advice, and got the 50mm f1.8 today. Very pleased with my new addition. Plenty of excuses to keep taking more pictures.
Very good choice. You can also pick up its sibling the 35mm DA. I really like both of them!