Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

The night before a shoot, I soft charge 5 sets (20) AA's for flashes and 2 sets (8) AAA's for triggers. If I need them, they are ready. Being able to individually and intelligently charge a mix of sizes 8 at a time is worth the purchase price. Charger

02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
it can't be stated too strongly that you also need a good charger, not a cheapie.
You mean a cheapie like the one that Sanyo sells for use with their batteries? What are the advantages to a more expensive charger except that you can attempt a (not recommended by Sanyo) fast charge?

Steve
02-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The night before a shoot, I soft charge 5 sets (20) AA's for flashes and 2 sets (8) AAA's for triggers. If I need them, they are ready. Being able to individually and intelligently charge a mix of sizes 8 at a time is worth the purchase price. Charger
Only being able to charge 4 batteries at a time, is the only disadvantage with my charge.
Did not used to be a problem with the K100.
02-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Check your local Costco, I got eneloop 8 AA, 4 AAA and the charger set for about $20 recenlty.
Yep, that is what I got at Costco just this last week.

Steve

02-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean a cheapie like the one that Sanyo sells for use with their batteries? What are the advantages to a more expensive charger except that you can attempt a (not recommended by Sanyo) fast charge?

Steve
They can be more entertaining. You get to play with all the different functions and charge rates/discharge rates. You also get a plethora of info on the status of the batteries, like how long it took to charge each one and so on.
02-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You want a charger that can charge the cells individually, not in pairs only.
Sanyo indicates that they should always be charged as pairs. The Sanyo charger in the photo has two status lights, one for each paired section. It is my intent that mine be discharged/charged as pairs. Notice that the batteries in the photo are color coded to help with keeping them straight. When I take them off the charger I tape them together to make sure that I don't mix/match. I also have marked them with a Sharpie.

Steve
02-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It looks like they redesigned the charger again. It is different then the one in the picture above.
As far as I can see from the picture I posted above, my charger looks just the same. It has two lights on the bottom front, they are twinkling green while charging.
02-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Sanyo indicates that they should always be charged as pairs. The Sanyo charger in the photo has two status lights, one for each paired section. It is my intent that mine be discharged/charged as pairs. Notice that the batteries in the photo are color coded to help with keeping them straight. When I take them off the charger I tape them together to make sure that I don't mix/match. I also have marked them with a Sharpie.

Steve
Interesting...Not sure why you would do that.
They are individual cells after all, one dies, the other could keep going on.

02-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
Emperor and Senpai

My charger does intelligent charging and all that stuff, so I am set. I simply bought an 8 pack and went with it.
02-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #25
mee
Site Supporter

I have bought my Eneloops from Amazon over the past 4 years with no issues. Try this one straight from amazon (not a 3rd party) Amazon.com : eneloop AA with 4 Position Charger, 1800 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack : General Use Batteries : Electronics
02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I have bought my Eneloops from Amazon over the past 4 years with no issues. Try this one straight from amazon (not a 3rd party) Amazon.com : eneloop AA with 4 Position Charger, 1800 cycle, Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack : General Use Batteries : Electronics
Or a very similar package at B&H that includes shipping fees for the same price:

Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH 4-Pack with AC Charger SEC-MQN064N B&H
02-18-2014, 04:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Steve
A good charger charges cells individually, so it accounts for the charge level of each cell. When it detects the cell is full, it stops (rather than a cheapie which keeps trying to pump more charge into it), which is extremely important. It allows slow charging, which is better for the battery, but can fast-charge if needed. It discharges a battery before charging again, to stop any memory effect developing which effectively leaves some of the internal chemistry stuck in the charged state and unable to release it's stored charge.

I was using cheap chargers with Eneloops and kept finding batteries weren't charged even after a full 12 hours. This was because they had been damaged by repeated partial "brute" charges in the cheap charger. Once I got a good charger and used it to restore my Eneloops to health, I had no more nasty surprises of being on holiday and finding my batteries were flat, and the batteries last longer on a charge.
02-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I've seen there is a newer model with 2500mAh capacity. Are these the best ones? How do they compare with the original Eneloop? Also, what is the recommended charger?
I love my maha-MHC9000. The single cell smart charging is much easier on your batteries and the refresh' and 'break-in' options are invaluable. I've used it to revitalize eneloops which had previously been abused by a cheap charger. Moving from a dumb charger to this Maha was Power Revolution #1 in AA usage for my k100d, and I no longer wanted to scream at the pathetic battery life my broken down eneloops had. Picking up the camera became fun again.

I picked up a set of 4 2500mAh Eneloop XX for my k100d before christmas. So far, they crush regular Eneloops. I've hit 800 shots without running them flat (never more than 500 with other eneloops, and that's only at the peak of their life) and they withstand extreme cold much, much better. They last longer than I do out in -20C, which means I don't have to fumble with keeping a spare set warm under my coat and swapping back and forth. I wish they had come out a few years ago, it would have saved me some battery frustration especially in extreme weather. Time will tell how they hold up as their recharge lifespan is lower, but I don't think it's too early to call these things Power Revolution #2. They're also more expensive, $12.99 with free shipping is the lowest I've seen them on sale in Canada and who knows if that price will come back so it's one set of XX's for primary use, white eneloops as backups.
02-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is a downside to a smart charger, if you discharge a cell too far they will detect them as a bad cell and won't charge them. I keep a dumb charger around in case this happens, about 10-15 minutes and the smart charger will accept them.
02-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Steve
The chargers that charge only in pairs charge them in series not as individual cells. So one cell can be overcharged and the other undercharged but average out as "charged". In use the undercharged battery acts as a resistor and will add more load on the higher charged battery.

I have the Powerex MH-C9000 and I ran the break-in cycle on a new package of 1900mAh Eneloops from Costco (they were selling sets of 8 or 10 cells without a charger). The cells were then matched by the capacities shown on the charger. The colors had nothing to do with how they matched up. I put a label (scotch magic tape) on each cell with an ID# capacity and group code.

I've written a spreadsheet with macro to group the cells by capacity within +/- 5% (as recommended on the Powerex website). If there is any interest in this I can put it on Google drive.