Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A good charger charges cells individually, so it accounts for the charge level of each cell. When it detects the cell is full, it stops (rather than a cheapie which keeps trying to pump more charge into it), which is extremely important. It allows slow charging, which is better for the battery, but can fast-charge if needed. It discharges a battery before charging again, to stop any memory effect developing which effectively leaves some of the internal chemistry stuck in the charged state and unable to release it's stored charge.
I did my research before purchase and the Sanyo-supplied charger does a slow charge with taper at the end and quits when done. As for "memory", this is a characteristic of NiCd batteries. NiMH batteries do not suffer from this.

As with most things techie, there is always the opportunity to tweak and measurbate. As noted above, there may be some pleasure in seeing the stats. In the case of rechargeable batteries, it is my opinion that the point of diminishing returns comes somewhere before purchase of a charger that costs more than 2x-3x the price of the maximum number of cells it will charge.

With reasonable care using a slow charger a set of Eneloops is good for 1500 cycles/cell. Is the expensive charger able to extend that to 3000? In other words, will it ever pay for itself?

Steve

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 10:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The chargers that charge only in pairs charge them in series not as individual cells.
My understanding is that the intent is to charge cells together that discharged together. All of my AA and AAA devices use 2 or 4 cells. I purchased the Eneloops specifically for use in my flash (4 cells). As for the colors...I took it as an aid for grouping, not an indication of matched sets.

I suppose I could buy a Maha (or similar), but I have enough hobbies.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-18-2014 at 11:36 AM.
02-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
A big thumbs up for the C9000. It gives you complete control of the charging, discharging, conditioning, etc.
02-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In other words, will it ever pay for itself?
My fancy charger paid for itself several times over, just counting the frustration it ended. I had 2 sets of eneloops and a slow 8 hr charger. After a few months of using these batteries in a k100d, they didn't work worth a darn and I was constantly recharging and swapping them out. After revitalizing on my maha, it was bliss again, and I didn't want to throw the camera through the wall for being such a low-voltage sensitive battery pig. I loathed the AA/DSLR combo until I picked up the maha. Loath probably isn't a strong enough word. Maybe my old charger was serious junk, but I have used my maha to bring a couple sets of eneloops back to life for family members that had been abused on different slow chargers.

If you need (or just want) your batteries to perform in tip-top shape, a smart charger is totally worth it. I've had mine for almost 7 years now, and if it dies I guarantee I'll buy another. I'm a cheap bugger, but some things are just not worth skimping on imo. ymmv.
02-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With reasonable care using a slow charger a set of Eneloops is good for 1500 cycles/cell. Is the expensive charger able to extend that to 3000? In other words, will it ever pay for itself?
It isn't so much about extending the number of cycles, but making sure they actually keep their capacity up throughout those cycles. A good refresh cycle every once in a while will keep them performing like they should. You don't want to be shooting with what you think is a fully charged set only to have one of them not perform as it should and drag the whole set down with it.

A good charger isn't something that should need to be replaced, my La Crosse BC-900 is going on 6 years old and has done thousands of charge cycles. It even keeps some cheap Harbor Freight NIMH cells usable.

02-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I've seen there is a newer model with 2500mAh capacity. Are these the best ones? How do they compare with the original Eneloop?
The same as the original 2000 mAh, but with more capaciy.

Also, what is the recommended charger?
The same as any other rechargeable. I use a Sanyo, works like a charm, many people recommend Maha or Lacrosse.

The type of charger is very important to maximize the performance of these.
No more than other rechargeables.

Any comments on this subject?
Look at Dell's website, they often have deals. Newegg also. And you could head to walmart and look at RayOvac hybrids, they are every bit as good, and cost a lot less.
02-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
There is a downside to a smart charger, if you discharge a cell too far they will detect them as a bad cell and won't charge them. I keep a dumb charger around in case this happens, about 10-15 minutes and the smart charger will accept them.
I wasn't aware of this and have never seen it personally. I'll bear it in mind in case it ever happens. I still have my cheap chargers, and a few that charge pairs of AAs in a USB socket, just in case.
02-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I wasn't aware of this and have never seen it personally. I'll bear it in mind in case it ever happens. I still have my cheap chargers, and a few that charge pairs of AAs in a USB socket, just in case.
I've only had it happen in devices that can operate below 1V/cell, it shouldn't happen with a camera body or flash very often.

02-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is a great read on the subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/198343-battery-q...unknownvt.html