Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eneloops and charger?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

Not sure where to put this so here it goes....
Eneloops are regarded as one of the the best if not the best rechargeable batteries out there. So I'd like to get a set of 8 AAs.
I've heard that ebay is full of cheap knock offs so I'll stay clear of those "bargains". Shipping from both B&H and Adorama is very expensive so I'll look into Amazon or other online retailers.
I've seen there is a newer model with 2500mAh capacity. Are these the best ones? How do they compare with the original Eneloop? Also, what is the recommended charger? The type of charger is very important to maximize the performance of these.
Any comments on this subject?

Thanks,

02-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am using my Duracell charger. The newer high capacity ones have less recharge cycles, so I am keeping my older ones for the flash have. They work wonderfully.
02-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

BC-700 is a wonderful charger! Highly recommend.
02-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought the Costco Sanyo bundle (8 AA, 4 AAA, and charger) for just under $20.00. Ditto the above in regards to the 2500 mAh Eneloops.

Steve

02-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i've got the and am very happy with them...never used the regular eneloop so no comparison
eneloop XX 2500mAh Typical / 2400 mAh Minimum, High Capacity, 4 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries with 4 Position Charger
02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

The best Sanyo Eneloops for cameras are probably the ones labelled "1800x", which can be recharged 1800 times. They're 1900mha, but they have a very long shelf life and they have an optimal battery output voltage for the entire battery life. I recently bought two 4-packs from ebay. You can use any nimh charger with eneloops.
2 Units of Sanyo Eneloop 4pk AA New Generation Recharges 1800X 8 AA Batt | eBay
02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

I use this Powerex Charger and Powerex AA's and AAA's in my flashes & triggers. Threw away my other chargers. This is a charger. I get commercial pricing from a local Batteries Plus Store They show 4 stores in Puerto Rico.

02-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #8

I have this one..........

http://http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/technoline/technoline-BL700.asp
02-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Maha and La Crosse chargers are very good. Make sure whatever you get supports independent cell management and can do refresh cycles.

I just did a refresh cycle on my oldest Eneloops, they are 2000mah and were peaking at 1400-1600mah, after the refresh they are around 2250mah and within 20mah of each other. The refresh not only restores capacity, it also balances them.
02-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Maha and La Crosse chargers are very good. Make sure whatever you get supports independent cell management and can do refresh cycles.

I just did a refresh cycle on my oldest Eneloops, they are 2000mah and were peaking at 1400-1600mah, after the refresh they are around 2250mah and within 20mah of each other. The refresh not only restores capacity, it also balances them.
Agreed on all points. the Powerex is a Maha charger.
02-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using this with my older style Eneloops, for several years.
Amazon.com : Maha PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA/AAA Batteries : General Use Batteries : Electronics

edit: the beauty of it is, that you can power it with this also.

Amazon.com : Maha Energy Powerex - 12V Car Adapter for "Wizard" MH-C9000 (2A) : Ac Adapters : Electronics

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.
02-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You'll find lots of praise for the Eneloops (mine among them) but it can't be stated too strongly that you also need a good charger, not a cheapie.

A good charger has different charging speeds, can discharge before charging and even repeatedly discharge and charge to restore previously abused batteries to health.
02-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the Powerex MH-C9000, which has worked great for me. I'm no longer using alkaline batteries and have found the Eneloops work great in both my wife's KX and in other, non-photo devices.
02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Any comments on this subject?
Check your local Costco, I got eneloop 8 AA, 4 AAA and the charger set for about $20 recenlty. I bought used pentax which came with eneloop old batteries and charger- what a pain it was!
The battery set from Costco works just fine, and the charger is light and slim compare to what I got with the camera.

This set (pic is not mine, New and improved Eneloop batteries pack now at Costco for $25 )

02-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #15

They were having an "at the register rebate" on those sets when I was shopping in Costco last week. I think it is $3-4 off. It may have expired already though. They do have Costco in Puerto Rico too.

It looks like they redesigned the charger again. It is different then the one in the picture above. You want a charger that can charge the cells individually, not in pairs only. If the batteries are charged as pairs they can have unequal charges in them but the charger will sense they are both fully charged. This will eventually shorten the life of the batteries.

The charger previous to the one pictured above would charge the cells individually. Cosmetically it looked the same except it had only one light. The latest charger didn't seem to have lights on it at all but they may be undercover. It is unknown to me if these new chargers work in pairs only or not. I didn't look closely or read the instructions on the package.