Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ebay ND filters?

Are the Cheap ND Filter kits on ebay optically junk?
8pcs ND2 ND4 ND8 ND16 Gradual ND2 4 8 16 Filter Set Ring Adapter for Cokin P | eBay

If so can someone recommend a similar set up from a more reputable brand? I really want this type of system as i shoot with many different lenses so i don't want the screw-on type

02-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cokin are not bad filters, they arent outstanding either. I use the hoya extreme FX adjustable nd filter and I like it a lot but it is not a setup like that.

Edit, I just noticed those are not coking filters, but filters that fit the cokin holder, my mistake.

Last edited by j2photos; 02-17-2014 at 07:24 PM.
02-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've bought a similar kit and TBH it was total junk. The ND filters were casting a very visible blueish cast in the pictures. Also, the adapter is very cheap, some filters are very hard to put in/take out of the adapter while others just fall off. The step-up adapters only have a few threads and you can't get them nice and tight.
02-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think these are real Cokin filters. They look like cheap knock-offs and the price reflects it.

But, for the current price (<$15) I might even buy a set for my Bro in law who is just starting to get his kit together. I don't expect these to be of great quality, and they will probably have a colour tinge to them, but if one shoots in raw and they do not degrade the image too much they could be a useful starting/learning point.

As to recommending a reputable brand - like anything it depends on how much you are prepare to spend. The best filters cost many hundreds of dollars each.
There are filters from, for example, B & W, or Hoya or even the Cokin P series, which are better quality and larger filters, but correspondingly more expensive. Its time to put the research hat on

02-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Yes, they are a waste of money. I bought a similar set two years ago. Complete rubbish. They have a very strong reddish tint and flare up at the slightest ray of sun.

Real Cokin P filters are decent (in my opinion), but there is always something better on the market. Price/performance, Cokin filters are a safe bet (they're just not #1 ultimate in quality). Any way you slice it, they will be leagues ahead of the no-name ebay filters that fit the cokin P filter holder.
02-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I have only gotten a couple decent filters from Ebay. I learned the hard way that they aren't what is advertised.
02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This topic seems to come up from time to time, and the general consensus is to avoid.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/165228...d-filters.html
02-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My only experience with Cokin was a graduated split ND. It was crap. It had a horrible green cast to it. But at the time I was just starting out.
If you want the best, then go with either B+W or Heliopan. I'm very happy with my Heliopan ND 3.0 (10 stops).
Here's a good Youtube video on vario-ND filters: