Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax k-x versus K-5

Hi, I am new to the forums so apologise in advance if I have got the wrong forum. I currently have a Pentax k-x but I am looking at upgrading to a Pentax k-5 particularly to do some time lapse photography. I have been impressed by the Pentax k-x sensor and was wondering if the sensor in the Pentax k-5 is particularly better especially in low light conditions.

Cheers,

Chris.

02-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes, k-5 sensor is better than that of k-x.

Pentax K 01 versus Pentax K5 versus Pentax Kx - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark
02-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey there! Yes, the K-5 sensor is newer and better than the one in the K-x. The K-5 allows ISO as low as ISO 80, and it will perform better at higher ISO, too. And it records more bits per pixel (14bits), which means the photo will have more dynamic range. 16MP vs. 12MP is not much, but it might help you if you are planning on making large prints.
The K-5 also has more advanced features (this is important, perhaps more than just the sensor), it is WR, has a better battery, and should focus faster (and it has AF overlays in the viewfinder, to show you which AF point it chose)
The main advantage the K-x has is that it is tiny, good looking, and performs reasonably well. The K-x is a very popular camera on these forums, but I think the K-5 has it beat. The K-5II is the same as the K-5, but it has an improved AF module, so it can focus faster and in lower light. At the moment, the best Pentax cameras in terms of noise performance are the K-5, K-5II and K-5IIs. The K-3 is the latest flagship, which is an amazing camera, but it has a steep learning curve and due to its higher MP size (24 MP), there might be a little more noise than in the 16MP K-5, according to some reports. Nothing terrible. though.
The K-5 series are available used for great prices right now.
You can try the marketplace on these forums, Keh.com, evilbay, or any local websites
02-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Had both, keep the Kx. invest in good glass.
Look on Imaging Resource "Comparometer" you will be able to compare output at all iso on any cam.
Click on top where it says display ALL cameras to have the Kx on the list.
It will surprise You to see that all the super new cams are no better than the older ones with less pixels. and the CLEAN max is 1600 regardless of make model .
It's just a marketing sell !
The best pixel density ratio is 12mp, 16 is pushing it for APSC . The higher the density the smaller the captors so more amplification is needed for the same output = more noise.

02-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I mostly upgraded from K-x to K-5 for the better controls. K-5 has two wheels and more buttons, allowing me to work faster with less menu diving.
The K-5 viewfinder and rear screen is also better.
The K-5 has a top LCD, which I didn't expect to use much, but it's grown on me.
The K-5 image quality is better. The shadow areas are cleaner and can take more "shadow protection" or brightening in post.
The K-5 shutter sound is much nicer than than the K-x.

I miss the light, petite K-x body and I miss the non-locking mode dial. I also miss the K-x' ability to do rapid fire with external flash.
I miss the body colour options.

Regards,
--Anders.
02-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went from the Kx to the K5. I had a little bit of a learning curve at first, but the K5 outdoes the Kx in pretty much every way. Dynamic range, low light, resolution, controls. You will be happy.
02-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Having used my friend's k-5 along with my k-x for a shoot, and also I had a k-01 for a short while - the k-5 sensor is about 1 stop better at noise than the k-x. So ISO 6400 on the k-5 is similar to ISO 3200 on the k-x.

The main things that I found most enjoyable on the k-5 was the drive mode and silent shutter, as well as the better viewfinder.

02-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks heaps for the responses. I love the k-x, the photos are great quality. My two pet hates are the lack of focus indication in the viewfinder, and the low resolution display - it's difficult to tell the quality of the photos. I have to say the improved sensor for the k-5 is also an added attraction.

When will Pentax bring out a full frame beast? !

Cheers,

Chris.
02-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K5 brings two-wheel controls, making TAv mode really great. One for aperture, one for shutter speed and then watch your ISO. Super easy to manage exposure and noise risk.

And the LCD display will still fool you - the in-camera processing for the thumbnail can be deceptive, but it will help you gauge your focus.
02-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I went from the K-x to a K-5ii. Huge upgrade, but a serious learning curve for me because I'd been using the K-x like a giant, fast PnS.
02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have the best possible lens to mount on your K-x before you upgrade to K-5. K-x is very capable, very reliable with a good autofocus, add a nice lens and you'll improve your photography a lot.