Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Video Skipping/Lagging

I have shot video a few times with my K-30. I was going through some videos on my computer I filmed with my camera when it was still on a tripod and I noticed a skip, or lag, in the video. It was playing fine. It was the actual video that was skipping, not a playback lag. I ignored this until a few weeks later. I was planning on making a video soon so I was just testing out the different settings like video SR and how much noise a high ISO would create ect.

I noticed the LCD "lagging" every few seconds. I thought it was just the LCD but then when I played back the videos the skipping was still there. It is a completely unacceptable amount of skipping, it happens every second or two.

I was filming in M exposure with a manual 50mm. I tried changing the SR on/off. I tried lowering the resolution down to 720p 30fps. I have a 16gb Ultra SD with over half memory space available. My camera was fully charged.

WHY?! WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I was planning on using video alot in the future!

The video now is completely unusable!

02-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the write speed of that SD card? For video, you need a fast card. Also, different brands have more or less reliable cards.
Secondly, are you sure it is the video itself and not just the video player having hiccups?
02-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptr_Mrtn Quote
I have a 16gb Ultra SD with over half memory space available.
Current ultra cards have an advertized write speed of around 10 Mb/s, which might not cut it in practice. I'd recommend trying an extreme card like this one:
SanDisk 16GB SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 Memory SDSDRX3-016G-A21

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
I am sure it was the video not the player. But it only seems to happen usually when I am moving the camera handheld, it is very seldom when it is stationary on a tripod. I am definatly going to get an Extreme when I get a new memory card too

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 11:43 AM ----------

I am getting a fisheye lens in the mail soon and I would really like to make videos filming skateboarding up close and follow angles but if my camera is going to have skips in the video when it is moving then it's not going to work out

02-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Maybe you should also read up on the so-called jello effect that CMOS sensor cameras have in video mode, too
02-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just tested video on my K-30 using a SanDisk Extreme 30 mb/s Class 10 card.

I purposely moved the camera around a lot, jumped up and down, walked around the backyard and there are no skips or lags. I did cause jello from all the moving the camera, but it actually wasn't all that bad.

I think you just have to get a faster card.
02-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Maybe you should also read up on the so-called jello effect that CMOS sensor cameras have in video mode, too
I've read about this and I'm having a different issue.

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I just tested video on my K-30 using a SanDisk Extreme 30 mb/s Class 10 card.
I purposely moved the camera around a lot, jumped up and down, walked around the backyard and there are no skips or lags. I did cause jello from all the moving the camera, but it actually wasn't all that bad.
I think you just have to get a faster card
This could be the problem but it seems to only skip when I am moving or shaking my camera. If it was the card speed it would skip whether the camera was moving or not, right?

There is a noise of somthing moving inside the camera but I think this is normal and I'm assuming it is somthing for shake reduction?? It feels like it is a controlled movement not a broken or loose piece inside the camera
02-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The in-body share reduction causes the sensor to "float" but it shouldnt cause skipped frames.
Do you have an filters or anything like that enabled?

02-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If it was the card speed it would skip whether the camera was moving or not, right?
You said you got skips when the camera was on a tripod too.

I was going through some videos on my computer I filmed with my camera when it was still on a tripod and I noticed a skip, or lag, in the video.
02-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You said you got skips when the camera was on a tripod too.
I did get a skip once when it was on a tripod but it is every second or two when I am moving the camera

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 12:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The in-body share reduction causes the sensor to "float" but it shouldnt cause skipped frames.
Do you have an filters or anything like that enabled?
Is somthing inside the camera supose to move around if you shake it, or tip it to the side ect? And no there are no filter or anything enabled

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 12:35 PM ----------

and its not like a rattle or somthing moving freely it feels like it is somthing meant to sense movement
02-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Is somthing inside the camera supose to move around if you shake it, or tip it to the side ect? And no there are no filter or anything enabled
See this https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/941...ntax-dslr.html

I found this note on the Pentax Support site, this was for an older DSLR but I would suspect newer cameras have even higher video write requirements.
QuoteQuote:
Note: When recording a movie, a *Class 6 or faster SD (SDHC) Memory Card is recommended for uninterrupted recording.
Note: ”Recommended” denotes only that the operation of the product has been checked by PENTAX and in no way constitutes a guarantee to customers that the product is suited to their requirements.
There is possibility that a Class 6 SD (SDHC) Memory Card could stop in the middle of recording, depending on the subject or shooting conditions.
*Class 6 --- SD (SDHC) Memory Card with a guaranteed write speed faster than 6MB/s(48Mbps).
02-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys, apreciate all the replies
02-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Camera in motion,. as in panning - turn off the IS.
You don't need stabilisation when filming on a tripod.

The rest sounds more like playback errors.
As in, when your PC or Mac is playing the video, and there's a lot of changes from frame to frame, the player is running out of CPU power to keep up.
If you're playing the video on a laptop, go in to the Power Management and create a profile that max's out the performance and saves no power, especially for the GPU.

Final check, playback the files on the camera - if the lagging isn't there on the camera, it's definitely the player application and PC.
If it is present on the camera, get a faster SD card..