Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

New teleconverter / gear question

I picked a pentax film equipment grab bag on ebay for $35 the other day and the items finally arrived today. It included the following:

-MZ-50
-Sigma 100-300mm DL
-Pentax FA 28-80mm
-Tamron Adaptall 2 PK
-Quantaray 2X AF Teleconverter
-Phoenix ZIF 105P Flash
-Oldschool Pentax camera bag

I curious about a couple things. First, does anyone have experience with the Quantaray 2X Teleconverter. It appears to have all the connections available from the teleconverter guide mentioned here. The stop down lever seems to move freely on its own...Is this normal? There is also SDM contacts...will they work with my 18-135mm AW? I am also curious if it is compatible with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8. I just wanted to check with the forum before I start attaching lens with it on K5II.

I am also curious about the Tamron Adaptall 2 PK and the phoenix flash. Does the Adaptall 2 have any value? If so I was probable going to re-sale it and the 28-80mm. Secondly will the phoenix flash damage my digital bodies in anyway.

I am really excited about the Sigma 100-300mm and the idea of using the teleconverter. But I think I most excited about the old school Pentax bag. I hope I am able to clean it up.

Last edited by scunning14; 04-29-2014 at 07:18 AM.
02-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

OK, my 2 cents.

I have that sigma lens and have used it with my Kenko x2 teleconverter. You need HEAPS of light (remember you loose 2 stops with the Teleconverter) so my advice is use one or the other, not both together.

The teleconverter looks allot like the Kenko (just an earlier version?) and the lever moves freely on mine so I'd say it's normal.
Mine doesn't have the SDM contacts (more likely power zoom given it's age), but they probably are just connected straight through from one side to the other.
It should work fine with the Tamron 70-200 (that's what I use mine with)

Sorry I can't help with the flash.

Hope this helps.
02-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For flash trigger voltages, here's a useful reference: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Pentax teleconverter compatibility is generally a mixed bag. I've seen units with the PZ contacts on one side but not the other. You just have to test the things to find out what they work with.
02-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Re the converter Test it you can't hurt any thing, and regarding the two stops of light your K5 is more than capable handling higher iso settings to counter the two stops lost, so that's not a consideration with a slow lens any more.

02-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The P-KM tamron adaptall mount sells for £5-10 on ebay. The P-KA sells for £40-60. probably similar in USA