Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Since nobody seems to have directly addressed the fact that your camera only seems to be saving files in raw:
Nobody?

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The camera settings allow you to specify what format, go into the menu and change to JPEG
Your instructions will of course be more helpful than my general suggestion.

02-18-2014, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ah, sorry I missed that, it seemed like most people were suggesting ways to process RAW files without really realizing that the person didn't seem to have actually chosen RAW themself.
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #18
MSL
Pentaxian

Lots of good advice here that I would agree with - I use Faststone all the time. Also, note that a dirty eyepiece or viewfinder won't cause artifacts on the images. You should take a few shots of uniform walls or bright skies to see whether you end up with specks on the final images.
02-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #19

Original Poster
I've tried cleaning the view-finder but the specks are still there. I'm convinced it's dirt inside the camera body, on either the glass or the mirror. Need to get hold of a blower. If these 'intruders' are stuck fast (won't blow) what should I consider....will it need a professional clean??

02-19-2014, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

You can try the wet cleaning swabs they sell.
02-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can dampen a cotton swab to clean the viewfinder - damp, not wet. Dip it in water, mostly dry it on a paper towel. Of course this is if the dry cleaning doesn't work. If water alone doesn't work, I'd use eyeglasses cleaning solution or diluted Windex - again, damp cotton swab. Mine gets dirty too - the sling strap I use keeps the lens pointed down, which is nice, but the viewfinder pointed up which isn't.

cleaning the mirror and focus screen is a bit trickier. You're right to try the blower first, but the "lens pen" brushes are also nice. Use them as a static brush - smack the bristles against your hand to build a charge, and try to pick up the bits and smack again to dislodge the particles. You should be able to see specks or scratches if they're there. My K10 had a scratched focus screen. This caused no real problem, but I wound up replacing it with a split-focus screen anyway.
02-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Does it resemble a "finger print". If so, it most likely is the matte focusing screen you are seeing.
I am an atheist, but will say Lord almighty! God bless you. I cannot thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!!

My brain had gone haywire. I felt like tearing my hair out. I bought a new camera last year. I saw finger print in the viewfinder. I was pretty mad at Pentax for not doing good quality control. I used to see a constant finger print through the viewfinder.

I cleaned the lens, viewfinder several times, last night cleaned the focussing screen thinking it might go away. The last thing I wanted to do was, open the camera and clean the prisms.

Glad I read your post. I think I can now sleep at night.

Cheers!