Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #1

New to all this.....& problems already!! Please help.

Hi...I'm new to DSLRs (just had a point & shoot), new to the forum & new to Pentax!! That's why I need some help!!.. I received a K20D today via ebay UK auction. On looking through the viewfinder it has several 'specks' - and appears to give a general 'dirty' view. Am I looking through a dirty mirror/glass? How should I rectify this problem.
Also I took a few photos and downloaded direct from the SDHC card (wanted to check it wasn't a dirty sensor), however my Windows Live Photo Gallery says the format isn't supported...think they are DNG/RAW files?? Help, I am a complete technophobe!!....Is there someone with the patience of a saint in the UK who I could perhaps phone if need be. Many thanks & kind regards. John.
ps. just downloaded a free DNG to JPEG converter, but had to apply this to individual photographs

02-18-2014, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Hi

Download and install these first:

1. Download FastStone Image Viewer (Free RAW editor/ viewer).

2. Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1970.0624) from Official Microsoft Download Center (Since you mentioned Windows Live Photo Gallery).

Clean the lens and as well as the viewfinder with a dry cloth. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 09:59 PM ----------

Sorry! Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay and that camera...
02-18-2014, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera settings allow you to specify what format, go into the menu and change to JPEG until you become familiar with the advantages of DNG RAW format.

Viewfinders tend to accumulate dust on the focusing screen depending on how the camera was used. These specs will not affect the pictures, only sensor dust will apear on pictures.

Depending on the lens you are using, the darkness may be because of the aperture of the lens itself. Try to work around this for now, better lenses provide better viewfinder experience.
02-18-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Download Picasa from Google - it handles DNG's well - and does some stuff automagically. Note: You do not have to register any type of Google account to use Picasa, and it is free, and available to anyone.
Good luck - and post some photos - and I'm quite sure someone here can guide you in the right direction. You're among friends!

02-18-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

The reason Windows couldn't show you the pictures is because they were in a file type that it didn't recognize.

Picasa is pretty nice. I haven't tried Faststone.

You can use a clean, dry microfiber type cloth to wipe down the lens & the viewfinder.
02-18-2014, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

+1 to FASTSTONE IV. I use it all the time.
02-18-2014, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnowl Quote
Am I looking through a dirty mirror/glass? How should I rectify this problem.
You are looking through dirty eyepiece and/or dirty focus screen. To clean the eyepiece, I do the following:
  • Dampen a small piece of high quality paper towel in glass cleaner (I use Windex), though if that makes you queasy, lens cleaner works too
  • Apply the dampened paper to the eyepiece and work it around into the corners and such. Be light and don't scrub.
  • Finish off with a dry piece of toweling
A cotton bud or clean soft cotton cloth will work as well.

As for the focus screen (found at the top of the mirror box)...that is something that should not be touched unless you are absolutely confident of what you are doing. The surface is fragile and easily damaged. I usually use a puff of air from a rubber blower ("rocket" type). Don't use canned or compressed air to clean any part of your camera.

The same holds true for the mirror as for the focus screen.

The Google Picasa product includes a simple RAW converter as well as rudimentary image manipulation abilities. When you have the funds, I would suggest moving up to Lightroom or one of the other great photo processing applications available on the market.

Steve

02-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi

Download and install these first:

1. Download FastStone Image Viewer (Free RAW editor/ viewer).

2. Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1970.0624) from Official Microsoft Download Center (Since you mentioned Windows Live Photo Gallery).

Clean the lens and as well as the viewfinder with a dry cloth. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 09:59 PM ----------

Sorry! Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay and that camera...
Thanks Deedee...I'm a hands on family working man so will try to do this asap. many thanks for your help. John.
02-18-2014, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The viewfinder issue is likely because the eyepiece is dirty. Clean it and you should be OK. If that doesn't help, take the lens off and try looking at the viewfinder. If you still see something, then you've got dirt/dust/hair on the focusing screen. The best way to get rid of it is to blow it off, but don't use your mouth. One of these comes in very handy for cleaning the focusing screen/mirror:

Giottos Rocket Blaster - Extra Large reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The viewfinder issue is likely because the eyepiece is dirty. Clean it and you should be OK. If that doesn't help, take the lens off and try looking at the viewfinder. If you still see something, then you've got dirt/dust/hair on the focusing screen. The best way to get rid of it is to blow it off, but don't use your mouth. One of these comes in very handy for cleaning the focusing screen/mirror:

Giottos Rocket Blaster - Extra Large reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Hi peeps. I am liking all these informative responses & leaving quick comments - but these don't seem to be getting posted. I very much appreciate all your responses & valuable information/experience. thanks again! John.
02-18-2014, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

appears to give a general "dirty" view.
Does it resemble a "finger print". If so, it most likely is the matte focusing screen you are seeing.
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi...I'm new to DSLRs (just had a point & shoot), new to the forum & new to Pentax!!
Welcome to DSLRs, Pentax Forums, and Pentax cameras!

The following site provides a wealth of useful information. In reviewing the K20D, Imaging Resource provides a great 'walk through' of the camera's functions and features:

Pentax K20D Review: Full Review

If you didn't receive the camera's operating manual, it may be found at:

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

- Craig
02-18-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Hi peeps. I am liking all these informative responses & leaving quick comments - but these don't seem to be getting posted. I very much appreciate all your responses & valuable information/experience. thanks again! John.
Comments entered along with a "like" don't show up publicly. In fact they are even a little hard for the recipient to see the comment, as it is kind of buried away on their "User Control Panel".

I think the PF staff was considering eliminating the comment mechanism altogether, and just leaving the like button as a simple voting mechanism.
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

yea, like Adam said, dirt on lens don't usually show up in view finder. Dirt on mirror, will show up in view finder but won't show up in picture. Most likely is a dirty view finder, just wipe it clean.
02-18-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since nobody seems to have directly addressed the fact that your camera only seems to be saving files in raw:

Hit the menu button, (rear panel upper left), which should put you on the "Rec. Mode" menu then hit the down arrow on the 4 way pad 3 times (4 way pad has "OK" in the middle) until you are on the "file format" line. It will probably say RAW if thats all the camera is saving things in, you will want to hit the right arrow to select that line and press OK to either pick just JPEG, or if you plan to buy photoshop or lightroom and edit raw files later you could pick raw+ which will save each picture in both JPEG and RAW.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-18-2014 at 07:05 PM.