Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #61
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angryannie Quote
So many good tips here. Thank you all so much! This weekend, I'm going to sit down and read through every post in this thread and try some of the advice I've been given. And FYI, I contacted the potential buyer of my K-x and said I wasn't ready to sell. Here goes nothing!
It is great to hear you so enthused. We look forward to seeing some of your photos and happy to provide whatever advice we can.

02-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #62
Pentaxian

If there is a local photo club try it out. The town next to us just started a club and all the members in that one are beginners and are learning the basics together. In our own club one member is being mentored by another by taking him out on shooting trips etc and two members have on line mentors but in their case the mentor is beyond the level you are currently at.

My point I am trying to make is find some one that you can go out shooting a couple of times, some one with more experience and lots of patience and the basics will come more quickly especially since you have done some reading.

As far as other brands go, I have and do shoot with Nikons including their top models, and a little with mid level Canons but myself use a K-r which is very similar to the K-x. The other brands will not be any easier for you to use or learn on.
02-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #63
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
So many good tips here.
The best resource on the web for all your photographic questions. Including, but not limited to Pentax.

Thank you all so much!
Aw, yer makin' me blush.

This weekend, I'm going to sit down and read through every post in this thread and try some of the advice I've been given.
On behalf of the group I wish you the very best!

And FYI, I contacted the potential buyer of my K-x and said I wasn't ready to sell. Here goes nothing!
Here goes everything!

Wish I could do it now, but it's dark, the family's asleep, and I'm exhausted!
A perfect time to try out the high ISO performance of your K-x!

And seriously, we all believe in you. Truly. The responses in this thead prove that. We are all looking forward to seeing some of your work and helping you to realize your goal of making great photographs.
02-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #64
wax
Forum Member

For what ´re you interested(photography and video) K-x have only one problem: AA batteries. That´s because the can´t run to much time and drains rapiddly than a lithium one, on Lv mode and obviously on video mode.
For everything else you can do with a dslr, the problem is you, with all respect. Film cameras was more easy to learn because the 3 crucial control are simple to identify; aperture, shutter speed and ASA(ISO). On DSLR you can get lost on menus and buttons. Maybe a fast 50mm f1.8 lens could helps you to understand the "mechanic" of photography, as it can render more clearly the concecuences of setting any one of those 3 parameters.

02-20-2014, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Only like 5 out of thousands of photos

When I first started using a film Pentax back in the early 70's a friend told me getting one good shot on a roll of film was a success. His words are always with me as I go though my digital photos not liking this or that. Imagine the $$ you are saving not having to get your pics developed! And it always feels great when you do capture the perfect shot!
02-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #66
mee
Veteran Member

I started out with a K-x in 2010 too. I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but I'd say you don't HAVE to understand the ins and the outs of the camera to really get into photography. By that, I mean the K-x has a lot of in-camera processing and the like.. But you'll likely get much better results importing your photos into a PC and processing there.

For starters, I'd set the camera to a RAW format (I like DNG but it is up to you), then slap the camera to a particular non-Auto mode (Tv, Av, Sv, etc) until you get the idea of how it works and what it does. Trial and error can be your best buddy if you direct it properly. I've shot thousands of terrible photos.. and learned a deal from the experience.

One thing I'll say is, each camera lens is generally sharper at different apertures.. usually between 5.6 to 11. So the goal might be different in terms of settings for one scenario versus another.

For instance, if you are photographing a relatively motionless landscape, I'd start by setting the camera to the lens' optimum aperture (for sharpness), setting the ISO to lowest possible setting (reduce grainy, noise). and then adjust shutter speed until I get a well exposed photo (on a tripod).

For photographing a jet plane roaring by, I might instead set the camera to quick shutter speed (say 1/500), then adjust aperture and ISO for proper exposure.

If I thought about the settings while photographing the plane as I had for the landscape, I'd get a blurry mess as one required a quicker shutter speed than the other; the requirements were much different.

There are little things like that which add up to 'good enough' understanding of your camera to get it to do what you want it to do.

I feel the AA battery requirement isn't a weakness of the camera. I'd recommend buying a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables (with the charger) for under 20 bucks at most stores (brick and mortar and online -- I bought mine through Amazon directly). I am now on my 3rd Pentax body (K-5 II) and it is one thing I miss of the camera.. the use of AA (so I bought a grip that can use them muah ha haa)

Sometime I miss my little K-x.. it is such an enjoyable camera. Happy photographing and don't be afraid to ask questions or make a misstep. Those 'missteps' might lead you to a stronger understanding. :c )
02-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee:

I feel the AA battery requirement isn't a weakness of the camera. I'd recommend buying a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables (with the charger) for under 20 bucks at most stores (brick and mortar and online -- I bought mine through Amazon directly). I am now on my 3rd Pentax body (K-5 II) and it is one thing I miss of the camera.. the use of AA (so I bought a grip that can use them muah ha haa)

Sometime I miss my little K-x.. it is such an enjoyable camera. Happy photographing and don't be afraid to ask questions or make a misstep. Those 'missteps' might lead you to a stronger understanding. :c )
I loved my K-x & its AA batteries! It's actually what pushed me off the fence to Pentax instead of Oly or Sony.

I kind of miss my K-x too. But my daughter is enjoying it very much. She went outside today to (try) take sunset pictures. (I didn't tell her until after she came back inside that she'd waited too late. She needed to have been outside at least half an hour earlier in order to capture the light she meant to get.)

02-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #68
Banned

KX AUTO PICT green button, problem solved

02-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #69
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That's almost like a point and shoot.
02-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's almost like a point and shoot.
It is. The K-x was very non-threatening to step up to.
02-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #71
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It is. The K-x was very non-threatening to step up to.
This was a "point and shoot" picture. I picked up the camera, pulled the lens cap off, pointed it out the window and squeezed the shutter button.

I guessed at the exposure. I almost always use manual mode. I got real lucky here and it worked out pretty good. But I have done better.

There is some blurring too. Notice that?

02-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #72
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was a "point and shoot" picture. I picked up the camera, pulled the lens cap off, pointed it out the window and squeezed the shutter button. I guessed at the exposure. I almost always use manual mode. I got real lucky here and it worked out pretty good. But I have done better. There is some blurring too. Notice that?
Not bad at all. Might even make a good Avatar
02-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #73
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Not bad at all. Might even make a good Avatar
Well thank you. I wonder how well it will do getting shrink down to 40 x 50 pixels or whatever it is that they get spanked down to though?
02-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #74
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well thank you. I wonder how well it will do getting shrink down to 40 x 50 pixels or whatever it is that they get spanked down to though?
Not sure - and my comment was as much to contrast the rather peaceful and colorful image with your current avatar
02-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #75
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Not sure - and my comment was as much to contrast the rather peaceful and colorful image with your current avatar
I suspected so!