Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #76
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well thank you. I wonder how well it will do getting shrink down to 40 x 50 pixels or whatever it is that they get spanked down to though?
80x80

02-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #77
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
80x80
Thank you Super Mod!
02-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #78

haven't read the 6 pages so sorry if I'm repeating...
Do you hedge any grieves who are into photography? If so spend an afternoon with them giving you a basic lesson-
When to use aperture setting
When to use shutter setting.

Don't worry about anything else at first.
Then learn about the effect a quick shutter speed has on aperture and vice versa.

Don't go near manual setting for ages.
After you understand them then learn about iso.

If you don't have a friend who can help I'd advise a basic photography course. No idea where you live but hopefully you can find one. I think it's 10 times better getting a lesson in person with someone you can ask questions to and go over what you don't get than learning from a book or the net.

Good luck.
02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #79
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Not sure - and my comment was as much to contrast the rather peaceful and colorful image with your current avatar
Tell you what.

If that photo gets into PEG I'll make it into an avatar.

02-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #80

Just don't give up

I understand your frustrations. I started with a Spotmatic II in 1972. I ended up taking a photography class in college and it taught me a lot but today's DSLRs are a different animal. I've had my K-30 for about 10 months now and love it. Do I understand it all??? No....not by a large margin. But don't give up. Here's a little story FWIW. My wife is very anal about technology. She can mess up the TV remote but I still love her. When I got my K-30 she said she'd stay with her Canon P&S. Well, when I showed her that if she kept it in Auto, the camera did the rest. We haven't used her P&S since. She isn't afraid of it and will volunteer to take pics sometimes. Don't be afraid to use the Auto mode. Use it and have fun. As you get more comfy with it, then go out an experiment but don't let all the new terminology and such scare you away. My daughter bought the book DSLRs for Dummies. Have seen it, haven't read it but she enjoyed it. I'm guessing it gives you a general overview of a DSLR and it's workings. Camera specific settings? Probably not, I don't know. But give it a try, I think it also has CD with it. Then watch this forum. You can get a ton of info from folks who've done this a lot longer than you or I have. Ask questions? Do what you need to. But don't get worked up and frustrated. It's a huge learning curve. You have a good brand in Pentax as most of the people here will attest. Go out and relax, let the camera do it for now and just have a good time. I've probably reiterated what many have already said but I didn't have time to read all the threads.
02-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #81
Site Supporter

I love how simple the entry level DSLR cameras can be. Most of them do a pretty darn good job on Auto as a big, fast PnS. As you learn, you can take more control.
03-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #82

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
For what ´re you interested(photography and video) K-x have only one problem: AA batteries. That´s because the can´t run to much time and drains rapiddly than a lithium one, on Lv mode and obviously on video mode.
Yes, I'm finding this to be a problem. I do have a set of rechargeables but man, do they drain fast.

03-02-2014, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #83
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Grab some Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. They last about a thousand shots.
03-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #84
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angryannie Quote
Yes, I'm finding this to be a problem. I do have a set of rechargeables but man, do they drain fast.
Aside from the battery issues, how are you coming along with getting to know your Kx?
03-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #85

In response to which camera

I bought the K30 a year ago and in retrospect I wish I got the K5 II instead and now I have the K3. - If you get a cheaper one, you will likely upgrade in the future but you need to think about your budget also. $$$
03-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erik_corrxx Quote
I bought the K30 a year ago and in retrospect I wish I got the K5 II instead and now I have the K3. - If you get a cheaper one, you will likely upgrade in the future but you need to think about your budget also. $$$
I think almost everybody will upgrade eventually, no matter what camera is purchased...
03-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #87

The K-x is as simple as you are likely to find in a DSLR, so stick with what you have. Try Auto mode until you get completely comfortable with all of the controls then switch to Program mode for a while. You don't mention what lens you have but almost any lens will out -perform the photographer so use what you have until all of the switches and rings fall under your fingers when you pick up the camera. Finally take pictures. There just is no excuse with digital. I started when the best you could do was 36 exposures on a roll and then a half week wait while it sat in the soup at the lab. With digital set your camera for .jpg and shoot till you lose the light. I just started back after a twenty year lay-off (Cataracts kept me from focusing on a SLR) and I have my k-x out almost every day. The cats think I am mad and the neighbors have started cutting up feather pillows and boiling tar, but I keep taking pictures. And yes, I meant to get a K-x. After a long search I determined it had all i wanted and more than i needed and much more than I could understand so even the shine of a K-3 wouldn't lure me away, not until I understand everything about my sweet little K-x. The Long Sufferin saw mine and decided that she should have one too so a second K-x came to live at the Compound. I got it from the Market Place for about a hundred less than the one I'm using and about 35k fewer shutter clicks. You can't possibly learn how to use a Big Boy's toy if you can't manage a K-x. And you can't do either without taking pictures. I ran through about 150 of those 36 exposure rolls a year for thirty years and I still don't know squat, but I'm still learning. If the shooter was as good as the K-x I'd think about a K30, I live in Oregon and it rains so I've heard and a weather sealed camera might be nice. Start slow but keep shooting, that's the best and only way to learn.
03-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #88
Inactive Account

Have you at least gone out and experimented? That's what I did. I learned PASM in a few days doing it that way. It was not a smooth learning experience, but I basically got the general gist of it after that. It took some more time after that to get a more rounded knowledge of how to use it in day to day photography.
03-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #89

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angryannie Quote
You guys seem like such a nice bunch. Maybe you can give me a sense of direction here...

Way back in 2010, I was eager to get into photography and saved up for my first DSLR. After much research, I bought a K-x, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't. The manual is too complicated and dense, the controls aren't intuitive, and basically I have no idea what I'm doing. I have a basic understanding of shutter speed, exposure, etc. but I simply don't understand how to apply those settings to the camera. I've tried to figure it out and I'm ready to give up. Did I mention this was almost four years ago?!

So, I put the K-x for sale on Craigslist. Someone just offered me $225 for it, and I'm tempted to take it, but I'm not ready to give up on DSLR photography yet. Should I go ahead and sell it now, since this is the best price I'm likely to get? I have the money to upgrade to something better if that's what makes sense at this point. What I really want it to be able to take nice portraits, occasional macro shots, and some high-def video. I am ready to throw in the towel on this model, but I don't want to start buying Canon or Nikon lenses just to find out I should have stuck with Pentax.

help...
Hi there first let me say this is a great Forum to learn a lot about cameras, and the advice is very good from people whom have been there and done it, as a beginner my first camera was and is a bridge camera Fuji HS50,
I used this to learn a lot about different settings i.e.
aperture, shutter, iso etc etc, for just about a year now.
I have learnt on this camera, BUT, what I have found most useful are the Tutorials on YouTube for instance look here.

Spyros Heniadis - YouTube ( and there are many more ) this guy give a run down on the K3
excellent in my opinion

I learnt a lot from this guy, his information is excellent, I am now taking the plunge and purchasing the Pentax K3 camera within the next 10 days.
And believe me I have done my homework on this camera and I think it is excellent for the price.

I even downloaded the manual for this camera so I can study all the settings, and read up on it,
the link I have given here this guy is in the process of doing A beginners tutorial DVD, on K3, and many more cameras.

what more can I say. keep learning all you can about settings and the best way is just get out there an take photos, best way to learn.
Tom G

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body
03-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #90
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think the K-5 is better than the K-x because you can throw it in TAv and go.
Long live TAv! If you are lazy, like me, don't want to get complicated and just want to get a shot regardless of the lighting, TAv will make it easy for you! It is my favorite setting for general shooting, and it is very effective for those like me that need a little help under varying conditions.

Regards & Good luck! Stick with Pentax, people here will gladly help you......not so much with Canon or Nikon from my experience. They are more likely to use you for target practice.