Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Shooting in RAW with the Pentax K-30

I have a bit of an update for anyone who was watching this thread. The photo contest I was attempting to enter is called "Basic Photography" and they are judging the entries by the basic skills of the photographer (without any post processing). It is possible to take a .dng file, save it as a .jpg and then edit it and resave it as a .dng file. So I now understand why they will not accept this type of file. A little bit of trust would be nice though.

04-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can open the .dng in your editor and just save it as a jpg, the original .dng will still be on you computer. This is how I've known it to be always.
04-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You can open the .dng in your editor and just save it as a jpg, the original .dng will still be on you computer. This is how I've known it to be always.
But the .dng can be Photoshopped, which is why the judges at Nancy's club don't permit it.
04-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But she doesn't have to do anything except open it in photoshop and then promptly save it as a .jpg.

04-11-2014, 02:44 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NancyK Quote
It is possible to take a .dng file, save it as a .jpg and then edit it and resave it as a .dng file.
I am sorry but I miss read what you said above. I'm not sure you can resave it to .dng. Or why you would need to if it's already in a .dng and that's what the club wants.
04-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am sorry but I miss read what you said above. I'm not sure you can resave it to .dng. Or why you would need to if it's already in a .dng and that's what the club wants.
You're actually missing the point of why the club has that rule for that contest, PL. :-)
04-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you say so. I went back and read what she said about the cllub wanting the photos in RAW format, so since Pentax's RAW format on the K-30 is .dng, I was asking why not leave it in the .dng format if that's what she needs. So now you're saying I am missing the point. You want to explain that to me?

04-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #23
Forum Member

If you say so. I went back and read what she said about the cllub wanting the photos in RAW format, so since Pentax's RAW format on the K-30 is .dng, I was asking why not leave it in the .dng format if that's what she needs. So now you're saying I am missing the point. You want to explain that to me?
See message #6, the club wants RAW but not DNG.
04-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But others explained to her that RAW on Pentax is .dng. They (the club) need to explain more to her about which RAW format they want.
04-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I had/have another thought on this. Perhaps the club isn't really talking RAW as in the .dng file. Perhaps they are speaking of RAW as in no Post Processing. So, to do that, she could still do what I said first, open it in elements and promptly save as .jpg. Or use FastStone image viewer or Irfanview
04-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

But others explained to her that RAW on Pentax is .dng. They (the club) need to explain more to her about which RAW format they want.
+1, I think there is a bit of a communication gap between her and the "club"...
04-11-2014, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
+1, I think there is a bit of a communication gap between her and the "club"...
...and between she and the participants on this thread

Steve
04-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

lol if they don't take dng, I really don't know what they can take. Tiff? Psd? No format is immune to trickery. Jpeg is used because it is most space-efficient.
And Pentax cameras save their raw data into a dng or pef file. Can't get any more raw than that.
04-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And Pentax cameras save their raw data into a dng or pef file. Can't get any more raw than that.
Technically the K30 & K50 dslr's only have DNG as the raw format for all others afaik can be saved in the native Pentax Pef or Dng format. Part of the club reasoning may be manufactures native raw format files in lightroom and photoshop can be enhanced in ACR but an XMP file needs to accompany the raw files for any enhancements to show. DNG files can be enhanced in ACR without any accompanying file and be copied with any enhancements intact and would open with those enhancements showing.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-11-2014 at 10:49 AM.
04-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, let me try another explanation:
Ask yourself......, Below is a list of RAW files, depending on the make of the camera. Can these types of RAW files be altered, processed, or enhanced by software and resaved under their original format?
.nef (Nikon RAW) = NO
.cr2 (Canon RAW) = NO
.dng (Adobe Digital Negative) - YES

If you take a .cr2 or a .nef file and alter it, you must then save it as .jpg, .tiff, or other ......, you CANNOT, once you've altered it, save it back to .cr2 or .nef. Therefore, the .cr2 or the .nef are acceptable for the contest.
On the other hand, if I take a photo with My Pentax K-30, I have the ability to alter or change the photo from it's "original" state and resave it as a .dng
The club does not accept this because the whole point of the contest is to test the photographer's ability to take a photograph (without using any software to enhance the photo a/k/a: cheating).
Don't worry, I'll survive....there are plenty of other contests, and really, it's only for points.....no money or other rewards involved .

If anyone knows that this information is incorrect, please tell me why. The man that runs the contest actually showed my by demonstration that the .dng file could be altered and resaved as a .dng file, but the .cr2 file, while it could definitely be altered, could not then be resaved as a .cr2 file.