Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
at the very least you should get a newer version of the 18-55 and sell that one to cover the cost. the image quality is noticeably worse on the old da version.

04-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Clearly newer bodies will bring out the differences in lenses more than older, lower-mp bodies. But I think you also need to carefully test your lenses and - yes - pixel-peep, to get a good feeling about just how happy or not you are with what you have now. If you only use your lenses for landscapes, at f8 or f11, that's where you'll probably notice the least improvement with better lenses. If you always use your lenses wide-open, then it might be more likely that you'd benefit by upgrading.

It also depends on whether you have good copies of the lens models you have, and again you'll need to pixel-peep for that. You'll want to test at various focal lengths to see if your lenses are consistent across the frame. If they are, don't sell or trade them until you find new ones that are at least as good. Just because a lens has a theoretically superior design - say, a 16-45 vs. your 18-55 - doesn't mean you'll be able to find a copy that's actually better than your existing lens.
04-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks again to all who responded. On my last trip to Hong Kong, I bought the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 lens - and what difference in quality to my now more than 8 year old 18-55. As soon as budget allows, an upgrade to the standard/short tele equipment!
04-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

On a k3 the theoretical limit of resolution is 128 line pairs per mm

The reality is that due to the bayer matrix nonsense the real limit of resolution is likely to be lower on saturated detail, quite possibly in the region of 80 to 100 line pairs per mm.

I would expect a kit lens to resolve somewhere in the region of 55 line pairs per mm, a high quality zoom to resolve over 80 line pairs and a high quality mid prime to resolve between 80 and 110 line pairs. The old takumars should resolve over 80 line pairs.

The answer then is yes you will see an improvement in resolution when switching from kit lenses to high quality lenses on the k3.

With regards to the quality and appeal of the image, kit lenses are perfectly adequate, I prefer the look of a softer lens for portraiture and many subjects render better when not bitingly sharp.

04-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #20

Hi one and all- new here, have enjoyed reading everyones views. K-30 for 24h for newborn child with only DA 50mm 1.8 -- go dreamy bokeh (compared to P&S) but very restrictive. Want more wide angle.

Consider DA 35mm 2.4 (100) or WR kit lens. Want to have flexibility. Worried if go for 35mm 2.4 I will have limitations for contextual/family shorts. Also worried low light capabilities for f2.4 35mm. Is there no 28mm cheap AF lens?

Advice? Really stuck want to get this sorted don't want to miss my child growing up.
04-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has not made a 28mm lens for a while. It's weird but we're stuck with it. If you want a prime, Sigma has a 28mm f1.8 which sounds great but is huge, like 77mm filter huge. It's been around for a while. I think many Pentax users object to the size. They make a 30mm f1.4 that's reasonable (62mm filter). I hear the new version is a better design. Here's a review. There's a Samyang 24mm f1.4 and a 35mm f1.4, sold under many brand names and pretty good but manual focus. Not really as cheap as you'd want, but worth it for the performance.

I really like the SMC Pentax-F 28mm f2.8, which you'd have to get used. The FA version is a different design but there's no strong consensus on which one's better, and prices are close, say around $225-275. They are both very compact (49mm filter), fast focusing and excellent image quality. If you have big pockets, the camera plus lens might fit. It's only f2.8, but that is usually enough for me, and my K-7 almost never gets above ISO 1600. With a K-30, I think you'd be OK.

There's an older version of the Sigma 28mm f1.8 that's a usable size (58mm filter), possibly your only other autofocus option (that I can think of). It might be hard to find one. I have the manual focus version and it's a very good lens. Because it's rare, who knows what the price should be, but something less than $275 is probably fair. Its coatings are not quite as good as Pentax but good enough to get by.

Cheaper than that, you need to go manual focus and used.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 04-11-2014 at 08:23 PM.
04-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Advice? Really stuck want to get this sorted don't want to miss my child growing up.
Advice? Whatever camera and lens you have at hand is good. When my daughter was born, I kept my SLR (film back then), but we also bought a Minolta P&S with AF (a novelty at the time). That little camera was the best thing and allowed us to preserve the memories without the camera getting in the way.

Steve
04-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by regislea Quote
I have a DA 18-55 lens that came with the original ist DL that I bought 8 years ago. I also bought a DA 50-200 about six years ago.

I have now bought a K3 body. I am happy with the results I am getting using these old lenses, but I have no basis for knowing how good the results would be with different, up-to-date and maybe non-Pentax lenses.

My mate who "knows all about photography (!)" tells me that these lenses are just not good enough for the K3 sensor.

Do these old lenses do the K3 justice?

Not to be rude, but your friend is full of it. You can get very good performance out of those lenses if, (like with all other lenses), you learn their limitations and adapt.

04-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Hi one and all- new here, have enjoyed reading everyones views. K-30 for 24h for newborn child with only DA 50mm 1.8 -- go dreamy bokeh (compared to P&S) but very restrictive. Want more wide angle.

Consider DA 35mm 2.4 (100) or WR kit lens. Want to have flexibility. Worried if go for 35mm 2.4 I will have limitations for contextual/family shorts. Also worried low light capabilities for f2.4 35mm. Is there no 28mm cheap AF lens?

Tough call. I've always considered the da 40mm to be the best lens for toddlers. The focus throw is so short, that it always nails the focus perfectly. It's got a great looking bokeh, and is about the right length for capturing a toddler at play without a lens being thrust in their face constantly! IMHO, it's a better low light performer than the 50mm (which has focussing issues in low light I find - meaning I always resort to manual focussing, which means I always miss the shot because the dof is so thin!)

I'd rule out the da 21mm if I were you. Toddlers will look a bit flat and lost in the background. It's great if you want to get really close to the subject, but not so great when the subject is further away.

I'd also rule out the da 35mm f2.8 macro. It's a fantastic lens, but being a macro means that the focussing can hunt a little.

I've only tried the da 35mm f2.4 on a film body, so can't comment on its use on digital. On film though, it's a really good wide angle lens (and focussing seems more reliable than with the da 50mm), so I imagine it would do the job. Hell, you could even pick up a cheap z1-p or mz-7 film body, which would give you a few more options! (the da 50 also works on film as a normal lens, although the focussing issues really show up there!) Hope that helps ....
04-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #25

Yes thats useful. I can't get over how friendly this forum is! I'm glad I chose pentax.

Yes, I find the 50mm 1.8 DA has low light issues. And it petty soft wide open...

I decided to get a 18-55 WR and figure out what focal lengths are before for me before getting another prime.