Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, you may find some discrepancies between Nikon and Pentax, but you may discover ways to harmonize them. And may be, you can dedicate each system to at least 2 different interests where each one actually shine complementary.

02-20-2014, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

I love running two systems. I thought it was going to be more expensive than it turned out to be, for me; but if I still was just starting out in the camera world it would've been unthinkable.

Justification?

There's nothing that Pentax has that resembles the 14-24mm F/2.8 (would require a 9-16mm f/1.8 on APS-C). Pentax doesn't have a 70-200 F/2.8, and Nikon's is fantastic. The k-mount doesn't have a 120-300 f/2.8, and Sigma's (available for Nikon) is great.

Nikon doesn't have small, well built lenses. Nikon doesn't have a user-friendly interface.

I'm at the point where I usually carry two bodies anyway. My overall scheme towards the end of the year is to carry Pentax for the normal lengths and Nikon for the ultra wide angle or telephoto depending on circumstances.
02-20-2014, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used 2 different systems (or 3) since the 1960s: Leica rangefinder for wide to normal and dim light,and Pentax SLR for normal to long and macro. I've also had Leica SLRs over the same period, but like Pentax for the ergonomics (and cost).
Now I've added K-5 and Leica M9 digital, and hardly use the K-5 except for macro, as I hate autofocus, and manual focus with APS is dismal. So I still use film Pentax more than the K-5.
Two different systems make sense when they have different strengths and capabilities, like RF vs. SLR. But different and equivalent brands... Not so much.
02-20-2014, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Entry level bodies drop in price more quickly, so if you're leaning towards selling, don't wait that long.

If you have a pretty good lens plan, the decision is easier. Something like ElJamoquio posted above, get lenses that are strong in each system. Of course, when you're starting out, you don't really know what lenses you need.

02-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Entry level bodies drop in price more quickly, so if you're leaning towards selling, don't wait that long.
No offense, but that is one of the biggest fallacies I've seen on the net. Yes, it's true that entry level bodies depreciate by as much as 50% in, say, two years, while high-end cameras only drop by 20-30%. But high end cameras cost so much more that those 20-30% might actually mean more $$ than the entry level camera cost new.
02-21-2014, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing wrong with keeping two systems or two bodies. You could get a M42 lens adapter and build up a collection of older lenses that would work with both Nikon and Pentax bodies.

Or, use one system as a back up to another.

Or, run two different lenses - one zoom, one prime - if you don't mind carrying extra gear. The output file formats are what keep cameras alive today. As long as you can read JPG and RAW then the system name almost doesn't matter.

I consider different systems, different bodies, different lenses, etc like having a cup full of different pencils, crayons, and pens. Each draws a little differently and could inspire you to try things you wouldn't otherwise.
02-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Nothing wrong with keeping two systems or two bodies. You could get a M42 lens adapter and build up a collection of older lenses that would work with both Nikon and Pentax bodies.

Or, use one system as a back up to another.

Or, run two different lenses - one zoom, one prime - if you don't mind carrying extra gear. The output file formats are what keep cameras alive today. As long as you can read JPG and RAW then the system name almost doesn't matter.

I consider different systems, different bodies, different lenses, etc like having a cup full of different pencils, crayons, and pens. Each draws a little differently and could inspire you to try things you wouldn't otherwise.
love the cup of crayons analogy!

but more seriously, the idea of keeping the two for separate purposes seems a good one. From what I've read so far, perhaps Pentax becomes the Prime camera, and Nikon for the zoom. But I'm a bit frustrated that it seems there a very few Pentax weather-resistant primes (and the 55mm is very expensive for a beginner like me)

02-21-2014, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Although there are some advantages to having two systems, personally I find it difficult enough to switch between a k200 and k5. I think if I photographed with both every day I might do ok, but if I don't use one or the other for a few weeks, I get confused as to where some controls are, and sometimes that delays getting a picture.
02-21-2014, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I found convenient to have different systems.
Pentax:
-CCD sensor;
-old lenses without an adapter;
-overall great feeling with well built camera;
-great support forum

Canon:
-CMOS sensor;
-small, lightweight, ideal for travel;
- tubes for macro;
-use for newer lenses and can use both DPP and LR for raw editing.
02-21-2014, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the DSLR world, and started with a D3200 last year. I really liked the camera, and used it a lot over the summer - great quality pics, and a great camera to learn the basics on. I know some find it a bit small, but I have slender hands, and it worked for me. To the kit lens I've added a 35mm and a 55-300mm.

When first looking, I'd thought about the K-30, but went for Nikon as a brand I recognised more.

However, as winter approached, and I realised just how much I enjoyed photography, I worried more and more about using my lovely D3200 outside in bad weather. By chance, I was looking in a local store at the time the K-50 was coming along, and the K-30 was significantly reduced. On a whim, I bought one. Just for outdoor, bad weather photography. (Yes, I know, it GAS, but hey!).

Anyway, cutting a long story shorter, I now find I love my K-30 as much as my D3200. in fact a little bit more. Having learned so much on the D3200 (I'll never knock it), the K-30 seems a great progression. I've since added a Pentax 50mm to my kit lens.

So now I have two starter systems. I know that the lenses are the key issue, and that I will progress my photography over the years by changing and upgrading bodies. However, should I ditch Nikon now, and just run with Pentax. Or should I run both for another year or so?

Anyone else out there running two systems. Or faced a similar predicament?

thanks,
BTDT...
My first DSLR was a Nikon D50. Older 6MP camera, simple to learn on but I find I wished I'd just spent the extra $$ and got a D90 or something, LOL. Not too long after I got my D50 I stumbled on to a Pentax K100D Super. AWESOME camera! Has the same 6MP sensor the D50 does. In some ways I find it simpler/better to use than my Nikon. Then again, the Nikon does other things better but I am slowly learning that the biggest difference is the finder nut....you know, that nut right behind the viewfinder that has to be adjusted just...so. (LOL)

In reality, both of my cameras perform about the same and yes, it is a pain having TWO systems but not that much so. For me, I won't be giving up either!