Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Running two systems?

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the DSLR world, and started with a D3200 last year. I really liked the camera, and used it a lot over the summer - great quality pics, and a great camera to learn the basics on. I know some find it a bit small, but I have slender hands, and it worked for me. To the kit lens I've added a 35mm and a 55-300mm.

When first looking, I'd thought about the K-30, but went for Nikon as a brand I recognised more.

However, as winter approached, and I realised just how much I enjoyed photography, I worried more and more about using my lovely D3200 outside in bad weather. By chance, I was looking in a local store at the time the K-50 was coming along, and the K-30 was significantly reduced. On a whim, I bought one. Just for outdoor, bad weather photography. (Yes, I know, it GAS, but hey!).

Anyway, cutting a long story shorter, I now find I love my K-30 as much as my D3200. in fact a little bit more. Having learned so much on the D3200 (I'll never knock it), the K-30 seems a great progression. I've since added a Pentax 50mm to my kit lens.

So now I have two starter systems. I know that the lenses are the key issue, and that I will progress my photography over the years by changing and upgrading bodies. However, should I ditch Nikon now, and just run with Pentax. Or should I run both for another year or so?

Anyone else out there running two systems. Or faced a similar predicament?

thanks,

02-20-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the DSLR world, and started with a D3200 last year. I really liked the camera, and used it a lot over the summer - great quality pics, and a great camera to learn the basics on. I know some find it a bit small, but I have slender hands, and it worked for me. To the kit lens I've added a 35mm and a 55-300mm.

When first looking, I'd thought about the K-30, but went for Nikon as a brand I recognised more.

However, as winter approached, and I realised just how much I enjoyed photography, I worried more and more about using my lovely D3200 outside in bad weather. By chance, I was looking in a local store at the time the K-50 was coming along, and the K-30 was significantly reduced. On a whim, I bought one. Just for outdoor, bad weather photography. (Yes, I know, it GAS, but hey!).

Anyway, cutting a long story shorter, I now find I love my K-30 as much as my D3200. in fact a little bit more. Having learned so much on the D3200 (I'll never knock it), the K-30 seems a great progression. I've since added a Pentax 50mm to my kit lens.

So now I have two starter systems. I know that the lenses are the key issue, and that I will progress my photography over the years by changing and upgrading bodies. However, should I ditch Nikon now, and just run with Pentax. Or should I run both for another year or so?

thanks,

I started DSLR with Sony, Soon afterwards I bought a K20D. After using the Pentax and the Sony I wound up liking the Pentax more and ended up selling my Sony and extra glass to finance more Pentax glass. It filled out the holes in my lens kit and looking back I feel I made the correct decision in the end. There are many people on here that run two systems but I personally like running one system and putting my money into that.
02-20-2014, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both systems have a few pros and cons but at the entry level (i.e. silent AF vs weather sealing, etc), but they're basically neck-and-neck feature-wise. After a while, if you find yourself using the K-30 a lot more than the Nikon, it might be worth investing in some more Pentax lenses and selling the Nikon. You will most likely get used to one of the two cameras and just stick with it.

With that said, having multiple systems does make sense in many scenarios, but typically only with higher-end equipment where the difference between models is more significant: i.e. you could have a Canon for video/sports and a Pentax for travel photography.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2014, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Run both. Your D3200 won't fetch THAT much less in time if that worries you. You're in a pretty rare position of learning on two systems at once and not having invested much in either.

02-20-2014, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Hi all,

thanks,
Well, there isn't much point in doubling up on the basic kit/must have lenses (which you've got covered), so the real question is what kind of photography are you enjoying, and what lenses will enhance that down the road? Pentax is great for nature photography, but not specifically wildlife due to limited available long telephoto options (and what is available in K mount is often expensive due to rarity, and also likely used and not available new). That is just one example though, and there are of course areas where Pentax excels too. So, what do you enjoy shooting?!
02-20-2014, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I started DSLR with Sony, Soon afterwards I bought a K20D. After using the Pentax and the Sony I wound up liking the Pentax more and ended up selling my Sony and extra glass to finance more Pentax glass. It filled out the holes in my lens kit and looking back I feel I made the correct decision in the end. There are many people on here that run two systems but I personally like running one system and putting my money into that.
I would say only keep two systems if the Nikon offers something that you need or frequently use that the Pentax does not have. Otherwise sell it and put the money towards glass.
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Well, there isn't much point in doubling up on the basic kit/must have lenses (which you've got covered), so the real question is what kind of photography are you enjoying, and what lenses will enhance that down the road? Pentax is great for nature photography, but not specifically wildlife due to limited available long telephoto options (and what is available in K mount is often expensive due to rarity, and also likely used and not available new). That is just one example though, and there are of course areas where Pentax excels too. So, what do you enjoy shooting?!
great answers so far, thanks guys. Lots to ponder, and welcome more. pxpaulx hits the nail on the head I guess - just what do I enjoy shooting? At the moment I'm busy trying a bit of everything: people; buildings, birds, landscapes, flowers. Perhaps keeping two for a few months more and seeing just where the real use comes will be a good idea.

Good point raised around the long telephoto. The Nikon 55-300mm is a great lens, but Pentax equivalents either get bad reviews, or are really expensive. So is Pentax strength in the Prime area?

02-20-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

great answers so far, thanks guys. Lots to ponder, and welcome more. pxpaulx hits the nail on the head I guess - just what do I enjoy shooting? At the moment I'm busy trying a bit of everything: people; buildings, birds, landscapes, flowers. Perhaps keeping two for a few months more and seeing just where the real use comes will be a good idea.

Good point raised around the long telephoto. The Nikon 55-300mm is a great lens, but Pentax equivalents either get bad reviews, or are really expensive. So is Pentax strength in the Prime area?
Any of the Limited Primes be it DA or FA primes are amazing. The new Pentax 55-300 WR is a great lens that wont break the bank either.
02-20-2014, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I would say only keep two systems if the Nikon offers something that you need or frequently use that the Pentax does not have. Otherwise sell it and put the money towards glass.
Agreed.

If your main concern is the "Bad weather photography" Pentax is the way to go. Both cameras are great, but at this stage I don't know if there is a real reason to expand both. See which one has a better upgrade path for you with lenses and features you could honestly see yourself using and go that route.

Pentax's pros:
Small, lightweight, weather sealed, high quality build on the bodies
Limited lens series is small and very good optically.
good selection of excellent prime lenses (FA Limiteds!)
value for the money is usually very high
image sensors have unreal dynamic range (useful in RAW edits)
Pentaxforums community is pretty awesome
All bodies support screw drive auto-focus lenses (your Nikon may not)

Pentax cons:
limited amount of after-market glass available
limited dealer stock/support
many items are special order depending on your dealer
no 35mm upgrade path available
auto-focus is arguably not as good as the competition
02-20-2014, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

How can you look through the tiny viewfinder of the D3200 after experiencing how much better the K30's is?
02-20-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Have the best of both worlds and run both.
02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Agreed.

If your main concern is the "Bad weather photography" Pentax is the way to go. Both cameras are great, but at this stage I don't know if there is a real reason to expand both. See which one has a better upgrade path for you with lenses and features you could honestly see yourself using and go that route.

Pentax's pros:
Small, lightweight, weather sealed, high quality build on the bodies
Limited lens series is small and very good optically.
good selection of excellent prime lenses (FA Limiteds!)
value for the money is usually very high
image sensors have unreal dynamic range (useful in RAW edits)
Pentaxforums community is pretty awesome
All bodies support screw drive auto-focus lenses (your Nikon may not)

Pentax cons:
limited amount of after-market glass available
limited dealer stock/support
many items are special order depending on your dealer
no 35mm upgrade path available
auto-focus is arguably not as good as the competition
Really helpful. Beginner question: what do you mean by a 35mm upgrade path?

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 10:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
How can you look through the tiny viewfinder of the D3200 after experiencing how much better the K30's is?
When you're as early in your practice as me, every shot is doomed to cropping. D3200 gives me the edited picture first. :-)
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Really helpful. Beginner question: what do you mean by a 35mm upgrade path?
At this moment there is not a Full Frame Pentax option (35mm equivalent)
02-20-2014, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

A '35mm upgrade path' is a full frame DSLR. Nikon currently has 5, most of which are really expensive.
02-20-2014, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Reminds me of me.

I've always had Pentax SLR (film) but I've let go of photography for a long time. When I got back into it, I opted for Sony (I also had a bunch of Minolta lenses). I stuck with the brand for a few DSLR and ended up with a A57, which I loved. But then one day for some obscur reason I ended up buying a K-r, TBH the A57 was better at almost everything but I like the Pentax ergonomics and the optical viewfinder. I ran both system for about a year but each time I bought a lens for one system, I always wanted to get one for the other.

It got real expensive real quick.

So I went back into my library and compared how many shots I had taken with each camera to see which one I used most (pentax won). The same was true when I compared the number of pictures I really really liked, more taken with my K-r. I figured that since I actually liked using it, it ended up showing in my photos.

Sold the Sony and the Sony/Minolta lenses, bought a truck load of Pentax glass and a K5 and I never ever regretted it. (maybe a bit for the Sony video capability and the insanely fast burst rate and great AF speed)

Canikons, Sony, Oly, Fuji or Pentax... from entry-level to advanced they each have pluses and minuses and are pretty much equivalent when you consider everything. If you're planning on going pro, Pentax is good but Nikon and Canon are ahead. Same for FF, don't hold your breath waiting for a Pentax.

Run both system for a while and look back at your library. To me it was the best way to see.